Model Cars Magazine Forum

Salt Lake 5-Window

slowlylearning

GOt this chopped TPB 5-winduh a while back, got the itch.

Heres what happened to the tyres.

20131026_173542_zpsf0f4f85f.jpg

Drilled some speed-holes on the back plate because fast!!

20131027_185012_zps80864df1.jpg

Got the bare framework for the front mount of the suspension, switched it to a not-as-long one for a more arrow-like effect.

20131027_185003_zps684dad91.jpg

This will be the stance more or less. Probably barely a mil higher in the front.

20131027_184944_zps93d6ca13.jpg

Heres where I grinded some material off the back of the speed-holes to get it looking thinner.

20131027_165957_zps726f6ab4.jpg

Gotta chop up the firewall to get that Dodge donk sitting a bit further back so the rocker covers dont hit, wish me luck lol.

Good link, Kerry...and this one of mine comes up there.

The chassis in the foreground is stock '32 Ford (Revell) and the one in the background is Revell '32 with a suicide front mount. It's basically a tubular front crossmember with an up-and-forward bracket fabricated to carry the center of the spring. It accomplishes the same thing as what you already have, but takes less space. It's also the way they do it on the real ones. You can make it just about any height you want, to get the stance you want.

DSCN9266.jpg

Thanks for the overwhelming responses guys :D

Thanks for the pics and info about the suicide front mounts, I'll definitely be doing that instead of what I have 8) It looks much nicer asthetically. As for the space issue, Im not worried because Im planning to scratch up a track nose... eventually when I figure out how :P Im thinking of cutting up a soft-drink bottle and using one of the 5 'legs' they have as a base to start shaping, Im open to any other ideas though!

Thanks for those pics mate, much inspiration was had!! Those are meaaaaan looking lake cars :D

Should have more progress after tomorrow :D :D

Notice the absence of front brakes on the photo of the 1:1 car in Post #15.. Open-wheeled salt flat cars wouldn't use Buick type front brakes (like those shown in your pics); they stick way out in the slipstream, and they'd create a lot of drag, and loss of top speed. Just make some flat discs to attach as flush as possible to the backs of the front wheels. (you may intend to do that all along, but I thought I should comment, anyway). This is going to be an interesting project that I'm going to follow. Nice start, so far!

As for the space issue, Im not worried because Im planning to scratch up a track nose... eventually when I figure out how :P Im thinking of cutting up a soft-drink bottle and using one of the 5 'legs' they have as a base to start shaping, Im open to any other ideas though!

Back in the day, they used '40 ford hoods, two of them mounted together to make an easy salt lake racer nose. Like the Chrisman coupe.

post-8617-0-01780100-1383151043_thumb.jp

Edited by Chris M

Bill- I hadn't really noticed the lack of front brakes while looking for inspiration, thanks for pointing that out :) A couple of disks on the back of the wheel will help make the front tires look less pokey out-y :D

Chris- That is a BRILLIANT idea! That picture has given me a bunch of new ideas, thanks man! :D

There shall be an update today sometime, 3-day weekend baby!

Mini-update

Got some disks made up, just need to alter the mounting tube to bring the front wheels in closer,

(sorry for the crummy pic )

20131101_152118_zps76ed67b1.jpg

The start of the front end suspension mount

20131101_152054_zps6e89d354.jpg

... And here's how I'm planning to make the track-nose, from the pic posted on page one by Chris I got the idea to start looking about for bonnets, but all I could find was this trailer from that modern hotrod kit (forget the name). Im gunna start chopping it up when I can be bothered to replace the circular blade thing for my dremel :P

20131101_151902_zps4e695f00.jpg