Model Cars Magazine Forum

what does everyone do for a living?

dwayne4385

Senior Agent, MiB, Las Vegas Division. B)

G

G puts the 'senior' in Senior Agent! :P

Me, I'm a retired forensic pyroarcheologist. Now, I'm an exclusive, selected-case fraud investigator . . . and I'm watching . . . <_<

Edited by Danno

I've been a photographer and worked in photo labs since 1985. Currently I work for a company called Schiller's Camera (in business since 1892!). My title here is Photographic Restoration Artist. Link to my page on the site with some work.. http://www.schillers.com/photo%20restoration.html

I also run a black-n-white darkroom out of my house. Yes people (including me) still shoot film. My office or desk is in the lab.

Another example of my work......

mcopsre_zpsf477d44c.jpg

Detail………….

copsclose1_zps03f4a04e.jpg

copsclose22_zps97aa622a.jpg

I just went back and reread all the posts from 2013. I'd be interested in seeing what's changed with folks, and how those reporting they were out of work made out. I was one of them and...

A funny story. I've been in pharmaceuticals, managing facilities and doing facility planning for over 30 years. I've worked for three different pharma companies, five if you consider the changes in ownership when I've sat in place. I worked for the first one for 15 years, and now I'm back there as a consultant, but working for my old boss from company number two. Small world. I've been there over a year, and it's like I never left.

My current job? I run the business end of a Maintenance Reliability Initiative for all the facilities globally. I spend my days talking on the phone and live computer meetings with folks around the world. I work from home much of the time since I do very like face to face.

Edited by Tom Geiger

Interesting, Scott. I've lived in St Louis all my life, and never heard of that place until now. When I was younger (much younger), I worked at a photo lab here, and loved it.

It's funny how many times I here that....LOL. I have also work at K&S Photo, Webster Photo, Clayton Camera and Art Tech Photo.....all out of business now.

Scott, Great work on that pic!

Thanks! It's a lot of fun hearing all the story's from people about their old photos. I think the oldest photo I have work with was taken in 1845.

It's funny how many times I here that....LOL. I have also work at K&S Photo, Webster Photo, Clayton Camera and Art Tech Photo.....all out of business now.

Thanks! It's a lot of fun hearing all the story's from people about their old photos. I think the oldest photo I have work with was taken in 1845.

I know this is off-topic but do any of you guys in St-Louis go to the club where Chuck Berry sings apparently once every few months?

I'm what's called a "Mailhandler" for the U.S. Postal Service. In my case, that means that I move carts of "Flats" (large envelopes, magazines, catalogs, and other mailpieces roughly that size) into and out of a honkin' H-U-G-E, $10 million+ sorting machine that can take 25,000 pieces for a certain town and sort them into carrier route walk-sequence in roughly an hour. Mostly I'm responsible for taking the carts of mail that has been sorted out of the machine and loading them into the waiting trucks to be taken to the delivery office. My shift generally runs 5-6 of these runs daily.

Mailhandlers don't sort letter mail or manually sort ANY type of mail. Depending on the local union agreement, we can be responsible for parcel machines and stamp cancellation or not. Where I am now, we operate all of the parcel machines, which is a good thing since our plant is almost exclusively parcels. The flats operation is almost an afterthought, although we're consistently in the top 5% of production in the entire postal service. I ran a cancellation machine at my old plant for about 10 years, but that's the purview of the Clerk's union at the Philadelphia main sorting facility. Mailhandlers load and unload the trucks, and mobe the mail around the facility with forklifts and other powered industrial trucks.

I've been at this facility (the Philadelphia Network Distribution Center, the 3rd-largest facility of it's type in the U.S.P.S.) for a bit over a year now, having lost the position I had where I'd been working for the previous 28+ years due to rampant plant closures. This genius of a Postmaster General we now have, Patrick Donohoe, seems to believe that a business can be made more profitable by cutting service. My original facility was only about 7.5 miles from home; now I have a 28-mile commute each way, including $6 worth of turnpike tolls every day. I also have the privelege of paying Philadelphia's wage tax, MUCH higher than what I used to pay even though I don't live in the city. All this and a pay cut too! Just think - If I'd had the foresight to have given a cool million bucks to a certain presidential campaign like he did, I could'a been the Postmaster General instead of the bozo we now have! Heck, I'm a career Postal Worker, he had family money and was a middle-manager for a comsumer products company with ZERO experience in any sort of shipping business. I'm pretty sure I could have done a better job.

OK, rant over. :huh:

I know this is off-topic but do any of you guys in St-Louis go to the club where Chuck Berry sings apparently once every few months?

Been there many times (here-http://www.blueberryhill.com/). Have meet Chuck a few times too...... B) I've seen him just walk into a club where a band is playing carrying his guitar, plugs in and starts rock'n......!

Jim-

The efficiency of the postal service amazes me. I've received eBay packages from California to Pennsylvania in 24 hours. You are no doubt part of that. My wife's brother is also USPS for 30 years. Recently lost his position in Eatontown, NJ, a 5 mile drive to Hamilton, NJ an hour away. And he's relieved he didn't lose his job. Sorry to see the USPS in the same mess as the rest of the economy.

Edited by Tom Geiger

I am a professional dedicated foodstuffs relocator! In simpler terms, I'm work hauling groceries on a dedicated account for Walmart, so if you live in eastern OH, western PA, or most of WV and get your groceries there, I just may have delivered them!