Model Cars Magazine Forum

Revell's new '68 Beetle

Rick

%7Boption%7Dhttp://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a389/rdworniczek/_57.jpg%7Boption%7D

_57.jpg

Am I the first to open this kit? Definitely a new tool kit, with a parts count and similar detail to the great Tamiya '66 bug kit. I don't think it's a '68.The body looks like a '67, while the engine is at least a '71 because of the oil cooler set up and dual port intake manifold. The interior has an inaccuracy with a panel between the back seat and back window that was never there, and I believe the dash was supposed to be padded like a '69. Otherwise everything looks great! Waiting for the convertible kit to be released, so maybe I can combine the two to make a '69 like the two I had back in the day. Other than the inaccuracies listed, looks like it'll build into a great model! Thank You Revell! :)

Rick

From what I've seen, that doesn't look like a `68 to me either. There's subtle differences in the engine covers shapes as there's up to `66, `67 is a one-year only, then `68 & up. This appears to have the `67 deck lid & european bumpers, pre-65 front fender turn signals, and who knows what else mixed in. I know.... I'm being too critical. What I'd like is a good look at it. Could you post some pictures of the body?

I used to eat, sleep, breathe these things 30 years ago....

I've been really interested to see these two kits as it seems with both an American '68 or '69 could be built! I believe the one shown here must be the German '68 with those bumpers. The other kit released does have American '68 bumpers, at least on the box photo. We have a few VW experts on the forum and I'm hoping they will go through the parts for us. :)

Keep in mind guys it's just a re-box of the Revell of Germany kit that was in the works before Hobbico purchased them. So like so many older cars Revell U.S. have made with funky option set-ups, non-stock engine parts, and other things that weren't quite prototypical it's quite possible the car that Revell AG measured looks exactly like this hodge-podge of parts from various model years.

%7Boption%7Dhttp://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a389/rdworniczek/_57.jpg%7Boption%7D

_57.jpg

Am I the first to open this kit? Definitely a new tool kit, with a parts count and similar detail to the great Tamiya '66 bug kit. I don't think it's a '68.The body looks like a '67, while the engine is at least a '71 because of the oil cooler set up and dual port intake manifold. The interior has an inaccuracy with a panel between the back seat and back window that was never there, and I believe the dash was supposed to be padded like a '69. Otherwise everything looks great! Waiting for the convertible kit to be released, so maybe I can combine the two to make a '69 like the two I had back in the day. Other than the inaccuracies listed, looks like it'll build into a great model! Thank You Revell! :)

Rick

The '70 convertible has been out for a month or so...has an uptop, looks pretty good. Keep in mind being Revell of Germany kits, these are German-spec cars, so the details may differ from US ones of the same model year.

A 100% correct euro spec "California Wheels" car?

Somebody at Revell needs to wake up...

Yes, and as with the California Wheels Mini, they included US state license plate decals, but no license plates to attach them to. I can understand reboxing RoG kits, but this was such a half hearted effort...they call it a 'California Wheels' kit, but no optional wheels and tires?

Edited by Rob Hall

`68 had the larger 2-yr only tail lights before they grew in `70. Those are pre-68 tail lights. Those are also pre-68 European bumpers. That kit looks more like a European `67 with the wrong doors. No way that's factory-correct Beetle, and I welcome proof otherwise. Like I said, it was years ago, but I was really into these things.

I still say it's a Hodge-Podge mix.... :huh:

Supposedly, the reason Revell has the "series" thing is so that buyers for the chains like Hobby Lobby, Michael's, etc. can purchase assortment lots of kits that relate to each other without having to pick them individually. The problem, though, is that kits like a bone-stock Beetle, Mini Cooper and '65 Impala convertible don't really seem to fit the spirit of the Cali Wheels line (because none have optional custom wheels, like the other kits in the series, for one thing). Seems to me it kind of defeats the purpose of having the series if Revell can't group related subjects together.

The series are also grouped by price point.