Model Cars Magazine Forum

Dad's 40 Ford done!

Modelbuilder Mark

Just a little back story. While this is not a replica of my father's car, it is inspired by a car he bought at age 16 living in Wise County, VA. The car sat higher than those that would have been in California during the same time period, as there are hollows that the cars had to be able to drive up in, ofter called "hollers" by some folk. It is pretty close to accurate using my conversations with my father and his memories. He bought it from a police auction and it was previously a bootleggers car, and still had a drum/tank in the area where there would be a back seat. As part of the purchase agreement, they had to cut the drum out and return it to the police.

My father did not replace the rear seat. The bootlegger already had a Chevy 283 and started some body work. My grandfather taught auto-body, and while he did not give my father any money for the project, my father was given help, and allowed access to all the shop tools and supplies of course. My father was seventeen when he finished the car, and only had it a few months. My grandfather was a good man, but a very stern one. My father got caught racing his car, and my grandfather made my dad sell the car to pay the fines.

This is the AMT kit, and while I am not super happy with the build, it will be a good shelf model.

where did you get that picture of that blue C-Cab show rod-?? :blink: -- I never saw that one before---The 40 is real nice.

Thanks, that pic is from a graphic design that was done by Zombie from Rod and Kulture magazine. It was a spread a couple years ago in their magazine, and inspired a project that I completed a little over a year ago. Here is a link to those pics.

Very nice period correct stance and chop. Your dad must be pleased with the spirit of your model, at the very least, and most probably the execution as well. Two things I'm curious about: the bubble skirts which came out real nice, and the tie rod detail on the front suspension. Did you make the skirts, or do I need to give the kit skirts another look, because I don't remember that much contour on them. In any case, they really add to the period look and are very cool. As regards the tie rod detail I don't remember the kit having that. Whether or not you added it, the texture of your undercarriage does a nice job of highlighting the suspension detail. Bravo on a cool build!

Edited by Bernard Kron

Very nice period correct stance and chop. Your dad must be pleased with the spirit of your model, at the very least, and most probably the execution as well. Two things I'm curious about: the bubble skirts which came out real nice, and the tie rod detail on the front suspension. Did you make the skirts, or do I need to give the kit skirts another look, because I don't remember that much contour on them. In any case, they really add to the period look and are very cool. As regards the tie rod detail I don;t remember the kit having that. Whether or not you added it, the texture of your undercarriage does a nice job of highlighting the suspension detail. Bravo on a cool build!

Thanks, the tie rod and front wheel backs are just parts box detail I added to the back of the Pegasus wheels. They are far from correct, but look better to my eye than having nothing there at all. I think they are from a 56 Chevy kit to be honest. The fender skirts are kit pieces that I think are the same as those in the 40 Ford panel truck, the same one that is at Hobby Lobby right now as the Three Stooges kit.

... The fender skirts are kit pieces that I think are the same as those in the 40 Ford panel truck, the same one that is at Hobby Lobby right now as the Three Stooges kit.

That's one of my favorite parts kits for doing late 40's/early 50's style customs. It comes with baby moons, flipper caps and decent hop up parts for an under hood installation of a Nailhead Buick, as well as the original AMT '40 Ford Coupe/Sedan kits' fender skirts. I have that kit in my stash and will give the skirts a good. hard look. With your shiny paint they come out way more "bubblicious" than I remembered them. I'm planning a chopped AMT '36 Ford from the same period and want some of that bubble over my rear wheels!

Edited by Bernard Kron