Model Cars Magazine Forum

The Official 2014 "All the Rest" Community Build-Extended to April 31st

mustang1989

More progress on the Robot.

When assembled, there were gaps between the torso halves that needed filled. I also had to file down and replace the two vertical, stamped gussets on each side.

B-9Robot03m.jpg

Regards,

David G.

Edited by David G.

I had the house to myself all morning so some painting got done.

The final mockup shots.

DSCF4881_zps8a446d37.jpg

DSCF4882_zpsdd033c95.jpg

DSCF4883_zps19e69a9e.jpg

My favorite Panzer Gray enamel, Floquil's SP Lark Dark Gray. It's a shame Floquil is out of business now.

DSCF4884_zpsed79c5c7.jpg

DSCF4885_zpsb1c0b375.jpg

DSCF4886_zpsd8f61d7f.jpg

I added the spare wheel holder to the right rear fender just befoewe painting. I raided my spares for the fitting and used the same right angle strip for the fender mounts.

Stowage box.

DSCF4892_zpsae544bef.jpg

Fuel and water cans.

DSCF4893_zpsc1edb7dd.jpg

DSCF4896_zps1bc701b6.jpg

This will now sit for a while and the Pz IIIL will be up for weathering.

G

Danno:Got your Mustang entered in on the first post!!! As the Cars say, "Let's go!".

David G:Good start. Do you have the box top pic of this one? It's been a Loooong time since I've seen Lost in Space!

Wayne:I just don't know how you armor guys do it. Wow!! A fellow stickler for the details here!!

Edited by mustang1989

Ok Wayne you were talking about glamour shots. Guys I have officially finished this Fw190 D-9. This one has been an absolute joy to build which tells me that I'm getting somewhat better at this whole thing here. My first one dang near killed me! The first shot here is not a glamour shot but it was a pretty day outside and I couldn't help but take a scale reference photo in the middle of my engine panel installation. The rest are , as Wayne refers to as, the glamour shots. lol

0e3eeabe-d83c-4677-9ca9-55f45c65d9dd_zps

e563eca2-7aa7-47f0-8299-ed07885db6d1_zps

27857f4e-c49c-4f41-82ad-8c5f69714250_zps

9edb61ec-7394-4265-9db0-c2d7f104d2f3_zps

ab88f71f-c2db-4175-ad83-498a13f63cf6_zps

68e9b798-f91e-4bce-bd4a-02ea50b33dda_zps

2bfa7cfe-c5b3-4edf-9ba4-051ef8ddebfc_zps

The nose module went on mostly without a gliche. I must have test fitted that thing a hundred times only to have it give me some trouble on the "glue run". I managed to find the right combination to where it slipped right in though. The Aires update set gets a true thumbs up on this Tamiya build for minimal fit issues.

And now ............it's off to the Stuka!!!! :D

While the paint cures on the Befehlspanzer I began weathering the Pz IIIL.

I mixed tan enamel with burnt umber oil and used this as a muddy brown wash over the whole tank. When dry I went in with a yellow "filter" on certain panels and hatches.

I then took a small bit of moist sponge in a cross locking tweezers and dipped it into dark brown acrylic paint. After blotting this off I delicately dabbed edges and certain high traffic areas to create paint chips. I highlighted the center of these areas with dark gray acrylic. Once dry I used tiny amounts of burnt umber oil to discolor the areas creating a worn effect. The acrylic is not effected by the oil like enamel would be.

Stowage is just placed for now but it will be close to the final look.

DSCF4897_zps5928e6a1.jpg

DSCF4898_zpsf20413c1.jpg

DSCF4899_zps54e6ab45.jpg

DSCF4901_zps67e48d77.jpg

DSCF4904_zps503acc94.jpg

DSCF4907_zps77ae1185.jpg

DSCF4909_zps838e0365.jpg

The white balance was way off as I had tinkered with the settings yesterday, but you get the idea. :D

G

Man! There's completed builds popping up all over the place!! Excellent build Wayne! Were the welds already there on the turret or did you add those yourself?

Thank you all for the "atta boys" on the completed 190! I'm probably going to be building another 190 D-9 in the future but it'll be the Eduard build....and it'll be after my Stuka and the Eduard 109 G Royal Class kit that'll be coming out in the latter part of the year. :D

I have started assembly on my Maschinen Kreiger Kuster. Since it's a lot like building armor [it actual is armor] a large percentage of the kit is assembled before painting begins. For a automotive modeler it seems counter intuitive. We auto modelers tend to only paint small subassemblies and end up assembling painted sections causing no end of problems for us. It actually makes us sharper since we have to handle carefully painted items as well as sanding joining edges for gluing. That's my story and I'm sticking to it.

Here we see the engine and transmission section newly washed and sanded.

euread.jpg

t83q14.jpg

Here is the rear of the gun turret with some sanding done. A bit more and some primer to check for flaws.

142fzfl.jpg

Here is one leg section under the clamps. This section has about 15 parts and it's far from finished.

a26kad.jpg

Here are some accessories like the walking stabilizers, infa red pod and computer unit.

s3d2y1.jpg

Cannot wait to get the assembly done and get some serious primer flowing. i'll be using hair spray chipping and a multi color camo. I will also incorporate light rusting and battle damage here and there. As you can clearly see there are a great many nooks and crannies for wear and chipping as well as grease and oil streaks

FUN, FUN, FUN..............

Bob

Since Im seeing the Gundam Mk II as a long term project Im switching to the HGUC version of the RGM-79GS GM Command, a Yutaka Izubuchi design from 1989's Gundam 0080: War in the Pocket.

The RGM-79GS GM Command Space Type, a specialized space combat version of the RGM-79G GM Command developed for use on Earth and in colonies. While the Space Type was visually similar to the regular GM Command besides the standard GM paint scheme, the Space Type mounted an enhanced backpack equipped with more maneuvering verniers and more powerful rocket thrusters. By removing equipment not needed in a gravitational environment, more internal space was freed up in the Space Type, allowing it to be equipped with additional verniers and larger fuel propellant tank.

IMG_0151_zpsbe8887cf.jpg

Having done most of a RGM-79D GM Cold District Type, it shares a majority of parts making this seem to fall together.

IMG_0150_zps954eb72a.jpg

IMG_0148_zps1d90c0c2.jpg

Adding plastic sheet to the skirt armor to block the empty spaces, forearms yet to be sanded.

IMG_0149_zpsc1a70ff8.jpg

The red areas will be painted in a yellow/green mix while the white will be in a light gray.