Model Cars Magazine Forum

Hello from New York

Hello all

I'm Bob from Baldwin, NY -Home to/of "Baldwin Motion".

I've been collecting die cast cars for 16 years. Got bored with lack of detail on hotwheels and other brands so pretty much stick too Johnny Lightning and AutoWorld in 1/64.

Danbury Mint and Franklin Mint for 1/24.

Over the years I have picked up many Camaro kits. But I've never built not one.

So I'm the new of the newbie!!

Need advise on where to start, which kit to start with for a new guy getting into the hobby.

Looking to learn a bunch...

Bob

welcome! only advice i can offer is jump in with both feet :D oh, and get comfortable and read all you can here, amazing wealth of info here. i have just gotten back into building in the past few months and have learned lot here, a great bunch of folks here too, always willing to help out.

again, welcome.

Welcome! Which kit to start with? One that you have a duplicate of! Use the first kit as a learning tool. Read the tutorials here on the board and ask a lot of questions. People here are happy to help.

On your first build concentrate on the basics. Learn to get a clean paint job from spray cans and build the model box stock. You can get more ambitious as you go and learn.

IMG_2529Copy-vi.jpg

IMG_2531Copy-vi.jpg

Since you are into Camaros, here's an example of a simple build. It's curbside, which means the hood doesn't open nor is there an engine. I did carve T-tops into it, otherwise it's box stock and just a fun exercise in painting and easy assembly! It's all spray cans.

IMG_2535Copy-vi.jpg

Edited by Tom Geiger

Welcome to the forum, Bob. You'll enjoy it and learn a lot. I, too, relocated from LI back in 2009. But I'm still a member of the Long Island Auto Replica Society. It's a club that's been around since 1991 and it's dedicated to- well, auto replicas of just about every kind. Actually, this is the third Thursday of the month so they should be meeting tonight, and it should be the annual Christmas party. They meet at the Henrietta Acompora Rec Center in Blue Point. It's a good bunch of people and, just like this forum, you'll enjoy it and learn a lot.

• 2 weeks later...

Hey im jon.....been building cars on and off 20yrs. Now just finishing Lamborgini LP500s by Tamiya. This model could be rc.....Cool. also have my FAV. 1970 Cougar (I also own one) taking it real slow with this one, I paid $150 on ebay. Anyways im gonna try to post pics of my rides