Model Cars Magazine Forum

2085 VETTE JET! 8th Scale Corvette Flying Car...Finished!

Ira

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Ira when are you going to get back on this. I'm curious to see what's next.

I plan to get back to this one in a few days, right now I am waiting for some clear parts for the Vette that I won on Ebay.... B)

• 2 weeks later...

Bubble Top!

Instead of a Convertible I decided to add a Bubble Top to the Vette Jet and I'm going to make it from a large plastic Brandy Bottle.

DSCN1606V_zps0cae8572.jpg

I applied tape to the cut lines for the Bottle, then I marked the Lines with a Sharpie.

DSCN1614V_zps0a26f571.jpg

I cut the Bottle in half with a Cut-Off Wheel, then I made additional cuts with RC Body Trimming Scissors.

DSCN1617V_zps7627d01b.jpg

I am leveling off the bottom of the Front Bubble Top Half by moving it back and forth on Sandpaper. I will cut another Bubble Top for the Back Half.

DSCN1624V_zps7a487377.jpg

More Coming... B)

Double Bubble!

After soaking the Bottle in hot soapy water I was able to remove the labels. Then I soaked a paper towel in Goo-Gone and laid it on the labels for an hour. The label glue came off pretty easy and I washed the bottle in hot soapy water.

DSCN1647V_zps73f3ee23.jpg

Here is a test-fitting of the Front Bubble. After trimming the Front Bubble to fit pretty well, I traced it's shape on to the other half of the Bottle and cut it out.

DSCN1638V_zpsf4400b5b.jpg

Here is a mock-up of both Bubbles in place. I'm going to wait a few days before I do any more cutting, I need to think a little bit about the next step...

DSCN1643V_zps95b97ae6.jpg

More Coming... B)

Purely amazing intuitive creativity! Who else ever saw a bubble top in the side of a booze bottle? Great stuff, Ira!!!

Thanks for the kind words Dan!

So glad you are enjoying it... B)

I'm quoting Wile E. Coyote here - "Genius , pure genius".

Thanks John!

It's Great Fun hunting down everyday-things that will work on my models. I will definitely do more Bubble Tops from Plastic Bottles... B)

That's a great top from that bottle! My thought is to cut thru both while lapped and butt together. Wrap the splice with thin plastic .. or a painted piece from another bottle. The fun part should be drinking the 2nd bottle first .. ehhehe

That's a great top from that bottle! My thought is to cut thru both while lapped and butt together. Wrap the splice with thin plastic .. or a painted piece from another bottle. The fun part should be drinking the 2nd bottle first .. ehhehe

Thanks Mike!

Yeah, I think that is the Basic Plan. I saved the extra cuttings from the bottle so I have a Slice of the Bottle to fit over the Bubble Top Joint. I think I will also add a strip of plastic around the base of the Bubble to hold it in place... B)