Model Cars Magazine Forum

2014 Cannonball Run CBP

Nick Winter

That's one sweet paint job Mike, very well done. Matthew, that interior is almost as load as that engine is going to be. Niko, that's some darn fine engine detailing, looks great.

No pics from me today, but I do have a little bit of an update for the Dart, it's not good either. I tried my hand at making the decals for the sides using Testors clear decal sheets. Bought the kit which had one clear and one white but got extras of the clear thinking they would work best. Got them printed, looked beautiful on paper got the bonder coat on it just like it said to do. When I got them off the paper I found that they were semi transparent and completely vanished against the black paint.... So fine I got one white sheet I'll make some changes and use it I thought to myself. Made the changes and tested it on another clear sheet to make sure it would work, worked fine on the clear sheet. So I printed on the white sheet and surprise, it failed horribly. So rather than going out of town to Hobby Lobby (which if I recall correctly only had clear, Hobbytown USA same deal, only clear). I ordered some from amazon and they should be here either the 28th or 29th. I've still got things to do to it so I'll continue working on what I can, hopefully I'll get the new paper in time and have a mad dash to completion.

• 2 weeks later...

Well from the looks of it the forum was reset to around the 24th-26 of November, all posts, votes and most pm's seem to be gone. I'm not sure what Rob will want to do, wait and see if the mods have a way of returning everything or reset and retry the vote or let it be. I know who the top of the groups where as of 11 - 12:30 ish last night.

I think a new poll for the leaders of the preliminary round is fair if nothing returns. This time you could put a time limit on voting so we don't have to wait for people to vote. A time limit of 33hrs same time as the winning cannonball of 1979 and under the finished racers use just the leaders photos.

Edited by bill_67

I think a new poll for the leaders of the preliminary round is fair if nothing returns. This time you could put a time limit on voting so we don't have to wait for people to vote. A time limit of 33hrs same time as the winning cannonball of 1979 and under the finished racers use just the leaders photos.

I think that may be the way to go. Jon please list the top four as you remember them.

Here they are, the last time I checked the poll around 11- 12:30 ish last night.

There was a total of 49 voters between the groups.

Group A Erik's Riviera votes: 32

Group B Tie between Fred's Monza Skyhawk (no idea why I keep thinking it's a Monza, my apologizes Fred) and Dom's Mercedes. Votes 23

Group C Niko's Daytona. Votes 20

Group D My Dart. Votes 21

Edited by TFchronos

I think the 2nd round would be fair, as all of the groups might not be as skilled as others. I mean in some groups there might have been more excellent models and somewhere less and it makes the votes split up more or less. Okay okay I can't remember what cars were in which groups, or anything like that, but I think it would be the most fair way to do it.

I'm not saying this because now I'd be the last one from those. It doesn't really matter me (And I think Erik's Riviera is probably the best of all), but it might be a fair thing to do...Maybe?

I'm cool with how it is, congratulations Erik! The Riviera sure is a beauty.

And congratulations to everyone who got their cars to that starting line, they are all fitting of the title Cannonballer. I look forward to seeing you all again next year.

Thanks again to Nick for starting and Rob for finishing it.

That's a excellent point. Erik has such a lead on everyone, I think another poll would be a moot point. Any nay sayers?

Eh I disagree. It may have a larger lead now, but that's against other builds and not the other finalists. It's like calling one NHL team the winner of the cup in the semi finals simply because they won 4 games in a row against 1 team.

It may turn out different against the other finalists (or it may not as well).

With all due respect three of the four competitors against Erik have basically conceded. He's won the run in my eyes by that alone. The completion in his group was plenty fair and his car still maintained the lead throughout the entire vote. We had a ton of amazing builds this year. Easily the highest quality I've seen in my four years of either taking part or watching. I am happy and content with it ending on this note.

Edited by TFchronos

Jon, I see your point. However Niko IS a finalist and if he wants a finals poll then I will make it happen. We had already planned for a second poll, its no skin off my nose to provide one. I don't want anyone to feel they didn't get a fair shake.

We have a great group of builders on the CBP, and I want that to continue. I appreciate the team spirit here and the support for your fellow builders.

So with not further discussion on the matter, would the five finalists please provide me with a link to their pics please?

I will get a finals poll up this weekend. That should give the forums IT folks a few days to get things in order.

Yep I think it's the most fair way to do a second round. I think Jordan said it just perfectly:

Eh I disagree. It may have a larger lead now, but that's against other builds and not the other finalists. It's like calling one NHL team the winner of the cup in the semi finals simply because they won 4 games in a row against 1 team.

It may turn out different against the other finalists (or it may not as well).

Just to make sure everyone understood, I'm not wanting a second round because then I had the possibility to improve my placing (And I know that would be very hard, because the other finalists are super nice builds and I believe I'm not going to make it to the top three with this high quality builds). Personally, it's no big deal for me, if I make it to the top three, it's nice, but I'm VERY happy to have my build finished and everything else is just bonus to me.

Not to take anything away from Erik's great work. I think his build is probably the best of all. All builds are really nice, but that one just stands out.

I'm just thinking that when the best of each group are against each others, it's a fair game for everyone. As said earlier, I'm not crazy about the final standings, but I'd really like to see who takes the win when everyone are against each others, not only the other builds from their groups. ;)

And finally, Great job Everyone who made it to the starting line! All of the builds are really good looking B) ! And the team spirit is the thing that makes me wanting to take part in this Cannonball each year.

Edit: The link to my Charger Daytona: http://www.modelcarsmag.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=96237

Edited by W-409

I have already conceded, my word is my honor, I will not go back on it. Not in this matter, to do so would not be right. I will not be particapating in a second vote should it happen either.

As I said before I'm perfectly fine with where it ended and look foward to seeing next year.

Edited by TFchronos

Congrats to all! There isnt a lame horse in the bunch, everthing I saw on this thread has been top notch. It seems as though every modelbuilder out there has really upped the bar.

I wasnt able to compete in this years build, but such is life. Things are looking up and I`m getting back to the bench lately and it feels good, so the plan is to see what kind of clunker I can build for next years sleeperfest. See you at the starting line in 2015.

I wasnt able to compete in this years build, but such is life. Things are looking up and I`m getting back to the bench lately and it feels good, so the plan is to see what kind of clunker I can build for next years sleeperfest. See you at the starting line in 2015.

Glad you're able to get some bench time Adam, kind of missed you this year. Your 62 Chev Cannonballer from previous years sort of validated my thoughts on this years ('69 Torino) build. Hope to see you next year.