Model Cars Magazine Forum

Cheating? Really?

wisdonm

Cheating? Really? In order to cheat, you have to break the rules. Are there posted rules for this game?

If you were told to find someone, what would you do? Walk around and look for them? Google them?

What if you were a private eye? You techniques and skills at finding people would increase your chances of finding this person.

We all have different skill sets and we should be encouraged to use them to the max. Unless your breaking the rules. Are there rules?

Most of you build better models than me. I feel bad for me, but good for you. I don't call you a cheater. There are no rules involved. Just skills.

Edited by wisdonm

I guess this is related to this http://www.modelcarsmag.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=83812 .

But Really... Who would cheat in that Game?! I think it's really a lot of fun to try to find out what car is in the picture... I don't know how it's possible to cheat in that game, but even if I knew, why would I do that? It makes no sense and takes all of the fun out of it. Sometimes I have sent PM with correct answer really soon, but those times I've known the car's name without using Google.

I have watched the results, and there are some guys who get each and everyone right. I've always wondered that How is it even possible... Most of the cars are something that I have no idea, even if I have searched that one from Google hours and hours.

I guess this is related to this http://www.modelcarsmag.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=83812 .

But Really... Who would cheat in that Game?! I think it's really a lot of fun to try to find out what car is in the picture... I don't know how it's possible to cheat in that game, but even if I knew, why would I do that? It makes no sense and takes all of the fun out of it. Sometimes I have sent PM with correct answer really soon, but those times I've known the car's name without using Google.

I have watched the results, and there are some guys who get each and everyone right. I've always wondered that How is it even possible... Most of the cars are something that I have no idea, even if I have searched that one from Google hours and hours.

Well said Niko, I enjoyed the game every week and pm Harry often with what I thought was right and he never complained. I don't know how you could cheat but I am sure there is a way. I enjoyed the searches and the challenge of it...

What I meant by "cheating" is that there is a way you can instantly find out the identity of the car without doing any research at all. True, there are no "rules" in Auto ID... but if you find the answer by cheating instead of by research, why bother playing the game at all? The whole point of the game is that you try to figure out the car's ID by doing research... looking up possibilities, narrowing down the choices until you figure it out. Doing it the "easy way" makes no sense to me at all... there's absolutely no challenge to it, so the game becomes pointless. It's like taking a test while you have the answer key! What's the point?

That's why I was thinking about dropping the game. If the answer can be found without even trying, why bother playing the game in the first place? But I have been told of a way that I can make the game "cheatproof," so that's what I'll do from now on.

I really don't care if some people do it the easy way, that's their business. I just don't get why anyone would even bother posting an answer that they didn't even have to work at to get. :blink:

I thought the rules were implicit - do we need them to be published in order to understand what the game is supposed to be about? Perhaps childishly, it makes me feel good if by knowledge and informed guesswork plus a little research I can get my name on the list of those who got it right, even better if there are only a few names there! If that list also contains people who haven't put any thought into the answer but have used this mysterious back door technique, then it spoils it for the rest of us.

But as far as I'm aware, no names have been mentioned on this site so where's the name calling?

I'm glad the game will survive, that's the main thing.

What I meant by "cheating" is that there is a way you can instantly find out the identity of the car without doing any research at all. True, there are no "rules" in Auto ID... but if you find the answer by cheating instead of by research, why bother playing the game at all? The whole point of the game is that you try to figure out the car's ID by doing research... looking up possibilities, narrowing down the choices until you figure it out. Doing it the "easy way" makes no sense to me at all... there's absolutely no challenge to it, so the game becomes pointless. It's like taking a test while you have the answer key! What's the point?

That's why I was thinking about dropping the game. If the answer can be found without even trying, why bother playing the game in the first place? But I have been told of a way that I can make the game "cheatproof," so that's what I'll do from now on.

I really don't care if some people do it the easy way, that's their business. I just don't get why anyone would even bother posting an answer that they didn't even have to work at to get. :blink:

Thanks Harry I don't want it to go away...

Yeah -- I enjoy it a lot! It's the "That's got a bit of Alpine in it..." though that get's you started that I take the greatest pleasure in. I know exactly how I could cheat, but as someone else said, it's not the destination that matters, it's the fun you have getting there. I always find out about some interesting cars while I'm trying to get to the answer, and they are also a big part of what makes the quiz fun!

bestest,

M.

The pancake looks like a baret. Prince sung "Raspberry Baret". There is a picture of a Rocket Bunny. Ooh, I know this one...It's a raspberry painted Toyota with a body kit! Oh wait, guess that's a different game. :lol: Anyway, I don't think I ever got one of those right but, now that I think about it, I think I know how people got them instantly as well. :blink:

Edited by Skydime