Model Cars Magazine Forum

Chevette Scooter: America's Original Econobox!

Faust

Okay, folks! It’s finally done and photographed! The rolling beige blight of the byways, the bone-stock, utterly base, 1979 Chevette Scooter!

It doesn’t get much more unexciting or uninspiring than this. All I can say is that I’m glad I got my hands on this kit and that I was able to bring out its absolute base-ness for all the fans out there!

You think today’s small cars are weak, cramped and all look the same? Well, this is a great place to start looking for why!

Thanks to everyone who stuck by me during this build. It was a fun project and I think I’m going to post updates as I do other cars, too.

I hope you guys enjoy the final product!

Edited by Faust

Thanks, guys!

I appreciate the compliments.

I based the build on a real car that I downloaded some reference photos of, and it had whitewalls! the whitewalls were in the tires originally, too, although not big enough to be all that useful.

It is a very well-optioned Scooter; it strikes me as a very "old man" car; back seat and whitewalls for appearance, but no A/C or anything useful or comfortable. That seems to be how a lot of Geezer-mobiles are set up!

I am glad that people appreciate the build even if the Chevette isn't going to top the lotto-winner's-list of top ten cars to go out and buy!

Great fun! ANd a great model! I'm happy to have followed this journey. Per your comments on this version (the later version) of Chevette only coming out as Bear Bait, they probably suffered poor sales on the first Chevette release so they put as much sales schmaltz on the box that they could this time around.

I do have both versions of the Chevette kit in my quest to eventually build my sister in law's frog green 1978 model. I thought it would be a slam dunk, I knew I had the kit. When I ventured to my basement kit vault, I sadly discovered.. oh no, I only had Bear Bait! Then I hit the 'bay and stubbornly bid low about a million times before I actually won one of these early buggers. Then I discovered that the only thing different between these kits is the hood and grill. So if indeed, R2 dug out Bear Bait for reissue, some enterprising resin caster could make a small (very small) fortune selling the earlier car hood and grill assembly.

I would also say that the mundane Chevette would never had made it to kit status without the GM promo model order. That financed the tool and the eventual transfer to kit was gravy.

This was a lot of fun. I should get going on my sis-in-law's car one of these days!

Cool!

chevette-scooter-090.jpg?w=576&h=352

I grew up with a '77 'Sandpiper' at our house, it was my Mom's 'summer car' (my Dad stored the thing in the winter, can you believe it?)

Took my driver's test in it! Wish we would have kept it, I would have put a V8 in it!

Edited by jeffs396

Looks great! If it were white, it would be a dead ringer for the Scooter my father had back in the 90's...whitewalls and all! I owned an 83 CS 2 door at the time in white also. Might not have been a powerhouse but, it was very reliable and was a virtual snowplow with the 5 speed manual. I never got stuck!