Model Cars Magazine Forum

Can anyone explain this ?

Greg Myers

But why? What's the purpose ? What automotive style is he trying to emulate ?

To show off!

I'd have to see it in person, but if they mods are solidly done and that paint is as well done as it looks, it could be a calling car for the guy if he wants to start a business of building and painting Mini Trucks and/or Low Riders. While some of you guys are dumping on the tilt cab, it is a clever idea that has reversed of.something that I haven't seen since the monster truck days of the 80's!

Ok, look, this is a prevalent style seen at any number of events, 1:1 and on model contest tables.

My point and question is so many things ( for lack of a better term) like this are made to emulate something else, not unlike the jacked up look of the '70's or the gasser look. Low riders, custom trucks rat rods "in the weeds" look is all about getting ridiculously low to the point where they are unroad worthy.( without some kind of air lift system). They all Copy something else. So what's going on here?

2013-summer-madness-show-coverage-098-cu2j1nbf4.jpgplayers%20rc%20steeering%20wheel%20013.Jnissan_pt1.jpg

But why? What's the purpose ? What automotive style is he trying to emulate ?

Greg, if you went to a show and saw a hot rod with suicide doors or a chopped top, would you ask the same question?

If you understand that, this is really the same thing. Does it have a function? Not really, other than to show off. This is what custom cars/trucks are all about.

Ok, look, this is a prevalent style seen at any number of events, 1:1 and on model contest tables.

My point and question is so many things ( for lack of a better term) like this are made to emulate something else, not unlike the jacked up look of the '70's or the gasser look. Low riders, custom trucks rat rods "in the weeds" look is all about getting ridiculously low to the point where they are unroad worthy.( without some kind of air lift system). They all Copy something else. So what's going on here?

2013-summer-madness-show-coverage-098-cu2j1nbf4.jpgplayers%20rc%20steeering%20wheel%20013.Jnissan_pt1.jpg

t

Do not think of it trying to copy some thing Think of it as a progression. So the first guy makes his hood open from the front instead of the back. The next guy opens his from the side. Now to out do those guys the next guy splits his hood and has each half open. Its all trying to do something diffrrent than the others.

bobthehobbyguy

Perhaps it's simply reflecting the widespread societal trend towards style over substance in a variety of areas.

Cast alloy wheels began as light-weight alternatives to factory steel, to enhance performance by reducing un-sprung weight (improves handling) and rotational mass (improves acceleration) but they've evolved to ridiculous caricatures with silly diameters and weight that destroys performance.

The transformer truck thing is just a similar evolution of another trend that's been around for a long time.

It's not something I'd ever build, but you have to respect the work and engineering it takes to make something like this actually function.

Edited by Ace-Garageguy

It's a mini truck, lowrider, bed dancer, and full dancer all in one. So, take a 64 Impala full custom out of lowrider magazine and throw a mini truck body and more hydraulics on it and that's what you get. Nothing more, nothing less. Just something someone built to challenge themselves and have fun.

I'm surprised someone hasn't chimed it with "that's a waste of a good work truck." :rolleyes: But to be honest, you would be surprised on how many vehicles are driven daily with similar mods and little maintenance...of coarse most of them are air or static drops.

Greg, I hope the first paragraph I wrote didn't sound harsh. I just wanted to give a straight answer from that side of the fence. Now I am not 100% sure of what you meant by "rat rods "in the weeds" look is all about getting ridiculously low to the point where they are unroad worthy.( without some kind of air lift system)." But I will shoot straight. Do some people do stupid things like completely remove coil springs with no bags or run no shocks at all and bounce down the road. Of coarse they do. But like you pointed out, trucks like this didn't start it.

Us mini truckers get the wrap for that because some of us are younger people who are just trying to have something custom with what little money they have earned at their part time jobs. It's simply the matter of being over zealous and I am sure we have all been guilty of that at one point or another.

But the point is, a lot of people look down on mini truckers because a lot of us don't have the money to go buy a car or truck that will hold classic monetary value in 50 years. They seem to think we are inferior and unworthy of parking next to their #1 of 300 1922 asdfghjkl d series type 9 L body Pwing custom whatevertheheckeveritis (you get the point). They don't stop to realize just how much we borrow and pay homage to those older styles of builds...and honestly...I have one thing to tell those people...don't copy our mods that contributed to protouring. Those who respect us as equals...proceed. And to those with questions like Greg, please ask. We won't bite. You might actually find that most of us are the guys that will pick you up on the side of the road and take you to the gas station when you run out of gas because the gas hand broke on that wicked Chevelle or 32 highboy. We know what it's like to break down and have the world just pass you and say "Meh, oh well."

Edited by Skydime

Talking about questionable suspension mods, when I was teaching high school auto shop a long time ago ( back in the seventy's) I watched a student with a "jacked Up" suspension put his car on the hoist. As it went up several 2x4's fell out. Yep , just pound 'em into the coil springs and instant lift. :o

Just out of curiosity Greg were you trying to learn something or bash something openly in public again? It seems like your bending over backwards to cause unrest and trouble in the community. I have my opinions and you have yours. I don't use that to publicly shame/embarrass/make fun of what other people like then neither should you.

If this gets the thread locked, I'm sorry. with the current path it was bound to happen before the 5th page.

Edited by Austin T

I honestly think Greg was just asking "what's the point?", and not intending to "bash" anything. A little good-natured poking-fun at a build style that has zero functional purpose isn't really out of line...and I've contributed my share of negative comments, probably un-necessarily. But I think they call it "freedom of speech" in some parts of the world. It may not be entirely PC, but it kinda makes one recall the children's old saying "sticks and stones may break my bones, but words will never hurt me".

I STILL haven't seen anyone really explain fully how this build style evolved and what the POINT is.

I know there are some of us who prefer vehicles that accelerate, handle and stop well, and focus our modifications on enhancing those particular functions. You know, actually DRIVING ? Our possibly short-sighted (in my case anyway) vision has a difficult time understanding why so much effort would be expended on a vehicle that does NONE of these things well.

And as I've said before, I respect the amount of work and skill it takes to build something like this. It's just totally alien to my particular definition of what a "vehicle" is.

Edited by Ace-Garageguy

Right!, I dont care for it either, but , to each is own, and if that is what the owner chose to do to his truck, then more power to him, everyone has different interest, and we should respect those interest, even if we do not agree, or like those said interest.

Do I think that truck looks absolutely ridiculous? you betcha I do!!

Your right if they choose to do this, they have every right to do so. I am sure the owner loves it.

To put it bluntly...It is art! Nothing more or less. It is done as an expression of one persons creativity. It is not transportation, it was never intended to be. Trying to see it as transportation is not possible. It is not a daily driver, it is a show piece. Kinetic sculpture if you wish. Like mined people enjoy it. Do I like it? No, but then I never liked Salvador Dali's work either. I appreciate the fact that others do, I just don't want it in my house any more than I would want that in my driveway. Someone has obviously gotten the creative juices flowing and fired up the welding torch. Good for them. I am sure whoever it was, had great fun with it.

Not really much different than the ridiculous show rods from the late 60's like the bathtub buggy IMO. No real purpose or practicality but they will draw a crowd. And if the owner of the truck is a business owner or part of Pro Hopper then the truck is doing exactly what is supposed to do. it gets your attention and gets you talking about it and by extension gets the owners business noticed.

Austin, if you read through this thread you will see nowhere have I said a disparaging word as to the vehicle pictured.

Bill / ACE last post pretty much hit all the different aspects of this thread. I've been at this automotive game for some time now and am still amazed at the different things that pop up puzzling me more than ever.

As Bill pointed out, no one has yet to explain the evolution of this style. One can look at the wild interpretations of todays "rat rods" and see where that style came from. The BIG wheel / lowrider style has an obvious evolution.

Harry's comment "Offend our sensibilities." probably is closest to the truth. :o

Sometimes Austin we have to look at things a little closer. url1.jpg

If that is all you want, that is easy. The evolution is from low riders. The first step of a low rider was the addition of airbags to raise and lower your standard lowrider from a pavement scraping low chassis to a drivable car. That then became the separate controls for each corner which allowed the car to be tilted and set with one wheel off the ground or hopped. The next step was the evolution of different body panels that opened mechanically to show the work on chassis and drive train. These body panels were then opened hydro/pneumatically. This evolved into pickups and eventually into pickups that had cargo beds that spun and "danced". That is the evolution.