Model Cars Magazine Forum

Pocher Rolls Sedanca

Cato

Good Morning!  Or is it afternoon already!  I've just had 3 cups of coffee and spent hours just on this thread, and man am I impressed, well that's an understatement, this thing IS a work of art! I built one 30 years ago, just out of box, and without paint, so it's a bit embarrassing for me to look at now, man, but I AM inspired to dismantle and re-do mine, not anywhere near to this standard, but an average builder, like me, can get SO much help from this kind of thread, not so much to copy just to make mine a bit better than it was. I thank you for sharing this with us, and I can't wait to see how it turns out, fantastic, I'm sure, as it already IS!!!

Rolls grill.jpg

Good Morning!  Or is it afternoon already!  I've just had 3 cups of coffee and spent hours just on this thread, and man am I impressed, well that's an understatement, this thing IS a work of art! I built one 30 years ago, just out of box, and without paint, so it's a bit embarrassing for me to look at now, man, but I AM inspired to dismantle and re-do mine, not anywhere near to this standard, but an average builder, like me, can get SO much help from this kind of thread, not so much to copy just to make mine a bit better than it was. I thank you for sharing this with us, and I can't wait to see how it turns out, fantastic, I'm sure, as it already IS!!!

Very kind of you Dennis and I'm glad my work inspired you restore and improve your old kit. They are sad if left to deteriorate.

Please post a WIP here. There are several of us Pocher crazies with projects in the works and therefore a wealth of information. I'd be glad to answer anything I can so don't be a stranger. There are many fine upgrade parts in the aftermarket which are frequently discussed.

I'll be back at mine soon I hope; as soon as I get rid of the flu.

Return to work...

After a vicious 10 day bout with what was probably influenza, it's good to be able to accomplish something. Although I had begun the hood just before illness, I was interrupted by the running board strips. Now that the 'boards are done and the strips are out for chrome, I've ordered some brass to correct the hood hinge. While waiting for that, I decided the doors should be finalized.

To do that, I need the side window brass frames. The latch mechanism will go under them within the doors. So some time drawing up for templates and making them from .050 was done today. Then, cutting the channel legs on the bandsaw and sanding the mating angles on the disc sander. The front edge is not 90 degrees because it follows the angle of the windscreen. The back edge is 90 but I found it safer and easier to sand the angles of each adjoining leg to mate better than sanding 90's.

Got the windwings done today, tomorrow the partially lowered side door glass. Soon a big time soldering session.

603.JPG

604.JPG

Here's where we're going...

Today, the biggest accomplishment was figuring-out a system. And I did; shown is the miter cut 3/32 square channel for the window frames. Jigged, pinned and silver soldered cleanly.The problem being to solder the corners cleanly and keep silver  solder out of the inner channel corners.

BY FAR the key to this operation is to keep the channel corners clear so your glass fits. After a lot of experimenting the answer was baking pan ally, folded, cut and bent to fit comfortably into the corners. Silver solder won't stick to it. Worked a charm; no glop inside the corners which the last shot attempts to show. Note the lower blocker has the rear edge cut to match the slope of the rear of the glass; you want no gaps inside or you'll get solder. With just a little file and 220 work the corners are crisp and clean. And the original plastic template fits perfectly as shown.

Plenty still to solder and dress but much relieved I've got a reliable system. It took me days to clear the channels in the 'screen frame using folded tin foil (boo) but this took 3 minutes to join and 5 to finish dress the corners.. The sooner I finish the sooner off for chrome; I'm excited to see the 'screen frame and running board strips come home soon. I'm also planning a chrome accessory which will be another soldering adventure...

The pros may do this with far less effort and different ways but there are other ways to skin the cat. I'm satisfied the result will be hard to tell from a pro's work. YOU CAN DO THIS; if I can, you can. The look of chromed windwings and partially lowered side glass adds a natural and elegant touch to any Rolls and some of the other Pocher Classics. And better men than I can actually make these things pivot out and lower but my train stops here. I'm OK with that...

EDIT: The pictures loaded in the opposite order than I loaded them. Dunno why. 608.thumb.JPG.d4ca8965df6cfe4474dedf910eI HATE trying to get professional results with this 'progress'.

608.JPG

607.JPG

606.JPG

605.JPG

Edited by Cato

• 2 weeks later...

Arrrgh...

I've taken many steps back and none forward over the last several days. Remember the trunk lid? A few compound curve seams were showing. Well couldn't live with it. I was going to make a trunk rack to 'disguise' the flaws, which is a lame thing to do. Not my style to cut a corner that badly. So plenty of Bondo, paper and time and I got it as perfect as it can be. NOW I can live with it. AND I'm going to make a trunk rack too, a marvelous chrome detail if I get it right.

A heartbreak caused me to go the whole nine yards with the window frames. With all the door mock-ups, a 90 degree corner split open on me. I doubled down - remade each leg of both quarter lights from new; no repair botch. Started with a new plastic template - more accurate than the old. Made a new 'solder block' (for the inside corners) to match the template perfectly. Today I carefully cut and mitered (perfect fits) them all and drilled their plate holes. I discovered the two old ones didn't match each other exactly which is why I went back to square one. REALLY aggravated myself because I THINK I take care when I make things but see some things are slipping by me. At least I won't have to look at errors each time I look at it after completion. Also stopped horsing around and ordered a new Weller 40 watt solder iron; realized my 30 year-old Craftsman is down to the nub. Trying to do jewelry with blacksmith tools. There are lessons to be learned as you go along. More, sooner...

Edited by Cato

• 2 weeks later...

Crawling back...

The absence of work lately has been due to very sudden ill health. I am now on the right track (fingers crossed) with docs and meds and may actually survive this. But my beloved Rolls has been untouched for weeks.

As mentioned a few posts ago some of the chrome plated parts have returned and really cheered me up. So here's a brief look. I'm planning to actually DO something tomorrow; I'll polish the clear paint on  a running board then permanently mount the chrome strips. Tasty.

A side note; I know you're probably tired of seeing the major bodywork in black and white raw plastic. I've been encouraged to prime everything 'cause it's cool to see a WIP project at least all one color. But I have firmly been a believer of getting the surfaces near perfect raw, then priming and fine skim coats as needed. I have to handle these big parts way too much which leads to corrupted primer anyway. So the w'shield frame doesn't stand out now as much as it will when the surround is dark maroon with no gaps. But that WILL happen.

Pardon the mediocre pictures; small chrome parts are hard to show and I'm not up to my old standards just yet. These actually look way better in person than the pictures; a little shimming under the center will eliminate the small gaps. I'm proud of the curved, kerfed corners with nearly no imperfections- my first such attempt. Then, the secret is to polish the brass until it's flawless, then start all over again. Honest.

Sorry to hear about your ill health, please take care of yourself

Model  building time come when it comes, life and family is more important

Now, I would be happy to take that 'obnoxious' Cobra off your hands if that would be of mental relief

Of course I would probably kill myself driving that sucker but I am willing to take the sacrifice for a tarmac tearing trip

Seriously, wishing you good heath

Sorry to hear about your ill health, please take care of yourself

Model  building time come when it comes, life and family is more important

Now, I would be happy to take that 'obnoxious' Cobra off your hands if that would be of mental relief

Of course I would probably kill myself driving that sucker but I am willing to take the sacrifice for a tarmac tearing trip

Seriously, wishing you good heath

Most kind of you Scott and I'm trying to follow your orders.

And yes, that thing has used up 7 of my 9 lives I think. But each of those 7 was worth it...;)

More chrome...

As promised the running board. Polished to 12,000 then strips fitted. Being hand-made items, they have minute differences in the spacing of the 00-90 mounting pins so fitting them where I drilled the holes originally requires care. But with no stress on them they seat nicely in place.  Here's the result.

Again poor pictures but I'm satisfied that in place between the fenders they will be an outstanding accent. As of now the main parts with color on them are all fenders, the trunk and these boards. The large fender and trunk parts require polishing because they get stored and handled for test fittings so I leave the polish on those until final assembly.

And a final thanks and recommendation to Dave Cox for fabricating these jewels. Some parts such as these are just not available from Marvin or anywhere else.  I urge any of you building Pochers to contact him for custom parts you can't make yourself. They can transform your model.

Evening Cato, I'm sure I am sharing the sentiments of all on the forum that we wish you a speedy recovery.  Your updates are always something special to look forward to, but please include how things are progressing for YOU personally when you're comfortable in doing so.  We won't pry, but we do care.  Cheers, Tim

Evening Cato, I'm sure I am sharing the sentiments of all on the forum that we wish you a speedy recovery.  Your updates are always something special to look forward to, but please include how things are progressing for YOU personally when you're comfortable in doing so.  We won't pry, but we do care.  Cheers, Tim

Thanks Tim, Mike and Bob - much appreciated. Got a ways to go for body corrections, mine and Rolls, but I am trying.

A 'feel good' (but crappy shot); I cut and fitted the Lexan into place. It's water-clear and looks smashing in person. The gap under center of the frame will be shimmed and puttied, but care needed to allow for body paint thickness. Will wrap and store windscreen for safety until late in the build. There are no marks on it. Would like to cut side and rear Lexans but not much pep to do that just now. Regards, C.