Model Cars Magazine Forum

Pocher Rolls Sedanca

Cato

Down on the ground...

A much clearer view of the final look. Almost all elements in place except running boards and beltline. All temporary; must be blown apart for the fabricating and assembly. But this is the main 'architecture' of look and stance. Finishes and textures of paint, chrome, glass and fabric will make a huge difference and (I hope) improvement.

537M.jpg

538M.jpg

539M.jpg

540M.jpg

541M.jpg

Very slick looking.

Are you going to differentiate between body and roof? As in, painted body and upholstered top? Or is the plan to integrate the top into the body as an "all in one?"

Another question, maybe goofy... but to my eye the roofline looks very low. Did you chop the top? I wonder what the height of the roof above the rear seat is? Could a 1/8 scale adult wearing a period-typical hat actually sit upright back there? Or am I seeing things incorrectly? Could be, with my eyes being out of whack lately... :unsure:

Very slick looking.

Are you going to differentiate between body and roof? As in, painted body and upholstered top? Or is the plan to integrate the top into the body as an "all in one?"

Another question, maybe goofy... but to my eye the roofline looks very low. Did you chop the top? I wonder what the height of the roof above the rear seat is? Could a 1/8 scale adult wearing a period-typical hat actually sit upright back there? Or am I seeing things incorrectly? Could be, with my eyes being out of whack lately... :unsure:

The roof was pie-cut; 13mm at front edge, 4mm at the back. It's all in the thread but probably too hard to dig out. I wanted to kill the 'coal scoop' look from Pocher. The rear glass is untouched, just lower due to the cut.  That's why the trunk height was cut about 6mm too. This is much closer to Gurney cars.

The back of the rear seat comes up to the bottom of the rear window. I did in fact cut 6mm from the bottom edge of the upholstered seat back after the roof chop. looks all very proportional now. No wearers of period hats will sit there. Only slightly reclined, scantily clad, slinky starlets and '29 flappers. Dude, this is my bucket build so don't harsh my dreams.

Yes, the roof will be covered in deep red gabardine with Marvin's beautiful landau irons. First the beltline must be designed to sweep front to rear. The fabric will not have the exaggerated dip ala Pocher but will be lower on the body side because of the chop. In fact the top won't look so radically cut when its bottom edge is defined lower. Spent a lot of time studying this.

Style is everything. Loren didn't build his collection around cars he could wear a top hat in. :rolleyes:

PS - Your eyes are far less out of whack than mine are...:blink:

How good would that look with a small teardrop-shaped foot step like the Mercedes SS had instead of the full-length running board? It would definitely fit the rakish look you're going for...

Nice thought but I need the length of that board to continue the largely horizontal look of all the lines. Also, it gives me a chance to make chromed brass step strips as further accents.

Great danm stuff, Cato.  Always liked the Ambassador's fenders better, but you might just sell me one of these...

Thanks Chuck. I always admired the Ambassador's fenders IF the ride height comes down a bit. But I just fell in love with these dashing things. It's the immaturity in me.....B)

I like the racy profile of your "revised" car vs. the out-of-the-box version. Many subtle changes, months of painstaking work, but in the end you'll have something special. B)

Looking great...your build your way

You keep teasing me with those Gt40's in the background....drool drool

His GT40 was featured in a previous issue of the magazine. Cover car, too. You really need to get the magazine... ;)

I like the racy profile of your "revised" car vs. the out-of-the-box version. Many subtle changes, months of painstaking work, but in the end you'll have something special. B)

Looking great...your build your way

You keep teasing me with those Gt40's in the background....drool drool

His GT40 was featured in a previous issue of the magazine. Cover car, too. You really need to get the magazine... ;)

$63 USD for a  Canadian "foreign"subscription a year is a bit steep for 9 issues

maybe an online version??

Edited by Twokidsnosleep

I spent the last few days going thru all 38 pages of this. Time well spent. The effort you have put into this, and the results you are getting, are simply amazing. Plus your writing style is humorous, informative, and entertaining. I've learned a lot from this thread and enjoyed reading it. Well done! I will be following the rest.

I spent the last few days going thru all 38 pages of this. Time well spent. The effort you have put into this, and the results you are getting, are simply amazing. Plus your writing style is humorous, informative, and entertaining. I've learned a lot from this thread and enjoyed reading it. Well done! I will be following the rest.

Wow! That's is a huge compliment because of all that effort! That means you looked at 541 pictures too!:blink:

Thank you Hugh and happy to have you on board. Hope you have patience...;)B)

Small potatoes...

Some things just bother me that, in the grand scheme of things, amount to very little. Who besides me would notice? This is one of those.

Seen here in an earlier mock-up is the rear fender and tire relationship. You can see that open space is visible around the tire; you can see clear through to the other side in some places. True, if the rear seat was in place, some would be blocked. But then you see the seat structure and the lower body bits as well. And admittedly when the model is on it's tires on a table, 80% of this is invisible. But I know it's there...

515M_zpsseunuugr.jpg

Here's a fender as Pocher gives it to you. Note that the rear inner portion is molded to the fender and conceals the trunk side. But the front section is open and is on a different plane than the rear:

542M_zpsmj4fah3n.jpg

So the solution is to make a new inner fender panel. It must attach to the rear portion which is part of the fender. But the forward portion must be loose to go behind the brake drum and tire so as to allow clearance for those. The answer is to cut a paper pattern all trimmed to size and clearance. After test fittings, transfer to .015 styrene. Seen here, a .062 styrene rod is added as a stiffner without taking up valuable clearance space:

543M_zpsdtximtay.jpg

Resting in place, the slightly oversized forward section does it's hiding magic and the whole wheel well becomes neater:

544M_zpsc4gz9fgy.jpg

Seen from an angle you'll never see when on display is the reason the front section must be lose. The stiffener and material thickness prevent a loose, flappy look:

545M_zps0dpuyrxr.jpg

Painted dark gray like the front inner fenders, this will virtually all disappear as so little shows around the tire. But it does give a neater finished look to the model that many will never even realize when viewing it. The 'U' shaped opening on this side is for the gas fill pipe to the tank side. Even I am amazed at how much time I spend on minutiae...

546M_zpsj8qywiug.jpg

Edited by Cato

This is pure speculation and may or may not be entirely 100% true or even remotely accurate so don't tell anyone, especially my wife, but there is a chance that theoretically I have acquired as soon as it gets shipped ....................

another Pocher

Like a spanking new(ish) Bugatti T50 K76 model

shhhh keep it under your hat.....and I blame all of you guys for the addiction

This is pure speculation and may or may not be entirely 100% true or even remotely accurate so don't tell anyone, especially my wife, but there is a chance that theoretically I have acquired as soon as it gets shipped ....................

another Pocher

Like a spanking new(ish) Bugatti T50 K76 model

shhhh keep it under your hat.....and I blame all of you guys for the addiction

I'll never tell.

As long as you clear the new bench and start posting it......:rolleyes:

Oh yeah, she will get done up right when the time is right.

Comes from a trusted source I have bought Pocher engines from so just couldn't resist. You meet the nicest people amongst  modellers and collectors. Still, paid a fortune for it.

This is Cato's party so I will post some pics when I get her, although he got me started on Pochers, so I blame him when I start getting yelled at :)

My idle hands are always the devil's work

Ooooh, Bugatti!

The one Pocher I've never built and have been trying to snag forever. But price$ keep holding me back.

there are two on e bay right now for under 1k

Edited by Twokidsnosleep