Model Cars Magazine Forum

Pocher Rolls Sedanca

Cato

My experience is that browsers keep fixing what ain't broke and perform differently over time. They're continually upgrading for the latest operating systems and dropping support for not-so-old ones (especially for Mac). So you have to keep trying alternate browsers.

Edited by sjordan2

Maybe time for a new computer...I suggest an I Mac, absolutely love mine. Run Safari just fine on here

Computer new last year; works great everywhere ELSE. Am working with Dave Ambrose to find solution here. He's on the case.

Oh and -Pocher Beatings to follow.  :angry:IF you ever start one.............:P

• 2 weeks later...

A Eureka Moment...

After much turmoil trying to post in my thread, a (partial) solution has happened. And that was because of the diligent attention of Dave Ambrose, site administrator.

After many PM's and emails Dave arranged a computer conference and saw my problem first hand. He eventually discovered that the root cause is that the MCM software thinks I'm working from a tablet and not a desktop. Therefore, it gave me a different toolbar which lacks the features that all of you have. That prevented correct uploading of pix to my thread. Even though I was selecting the correct link on PhotoBucket.

He worked his magic and gave me that tool bar. He is still working on the 404 page issue I get occasionally and other deeper site flaws. We still have some issues to solve but the man gave freely of his time and expertise and discovered what's going on. At least I can continue my thread and converse with the big-scale lovers here. I have been working on those pesky doors and will show some progress very soon now.

A sincere thanks and much respect to Dave, a behind-the-scenes guy who sweats the details. :wub:

After many PM's and emails Dave arranged a computer conference and saw my problem first hand. He eventually discovered that the root cause is that the MCM software thinks I'm working from a tablet and not a desktop. Therefore, it gave me a different toolbar which lacks the features that all of you have. That prevented correct uploading of pix to my thread. Even though I was selecting the correct link on PhotoBucket.

But the bigger question is... why you? Why does this software misidentify you and nobody else? Did Dave have any idea why this was happening to you specifically?

But the bigger question is... why you? Why does this software misidentify you and nobody else? Did Dave have any idea why this was happening to you specifically?

I don't believe so Harry. But he did say he knows others are having the 404 problem and the vanishing replies. The MCM site is behind 2 or 3 updates and he's been working to remedy that. So apparently Dave has his hands full of problems but mine was a new and perplexing problem which he solved. We tried the MCM site from Internet Explorer and the toolbar came up perfectly on my screen. I never knew it had such buttons on it before I saw it on IE.  That tipped him to look at how the MCM site 'reads'  my browser and he found it reads it like a tablet - so I got the different toolbar. He is now investigating why that is so. He is very aware of the bigger question my problem may indicate. I still don't have the full tool bar with the 'strike-out' icon and such, but thrilled I have the 'image' button and can easily post pix.

We discussed that you have Firefox and desktop (same as me) with no such problems which Dave is trying to investigate.

Dave is 'DA MAN'...B)

Glad to hear you are getting this problem identified Cato...

Looking forward to some more skill level 11 building

Cheers to a long weekend at the bench

Happy Victoria Day

Cheers

Happy VD to you too Bruce and thanks for nice words. I have been working on the door situation between crises but it's been trial and error stuff. No shiny stuff to show but will soon post door progress - there's finally been some.

C

Proof of concept - maybe...

Well all, I've been threatening to get the doors figured out and I may be on to something here. A brief recap; the highly modified Pocher door could not be made to fit due to the body contours it had to mate with. Decision was made to scratch build another, That was better but the main problem continued to be getting the upper (latch) area to meet flush with the cowl with no tension. Plus the thickness of the total door with window frames was unacceptable.

In for a penny and with a few improvements in mind I made a second, which you see here. MUCH more to my liking. The fit everywhere is dead flush. I learned the method to get the contours right AND get a thinner door package.

774%20M_zps9nvb16bi.jpg

Edited by Cato

Sorry all, still having site difficulties. Wishing to continue text under the above photo, the screen would not let me. I'll add post after post to get this story out.

Here you can see the vent window frame in the correct position with just a soft clamp. Not it is nearlt flush to the cowl windshield post and situated the way Phantoms had them. Note the nothing is holding the door shut; it fits the opening perfectly and the latch area (the hole is for the outside handle) is resting in the ideal with no tension. Me happy man:

775%20M_zpsa8pbumio.jpg

Here is where all the secrets are; the back side of the door. Sedanca and Ambassador builders, this is for you, but it may apply to other types of Pocher doors if you follow the premise.

The top arrow at the 12:00 position shows how the door got thinner; the latch was sunken into the door skin. This is the big change from the first door. The door main skin is .030 thick and a slot was cut for the latch (not shown); Outboard of that is the .020 cladding for the color sweep. So the latch slides inside the .030 and is retained by the .020 on the outside and the vent window frame. This work made the door .030 thinner than the first one. The arrows at 3. 6 and 9:00 positions show a frame made of 1/8" square plastic rod, shaved down to mate with the 3/32" brass tubing. This gives the door edges a finished surface and a bit more strength. The real secret is at the 4 downward pointing arrows; that lower rectangular tube is twisted from that point forward. The twist forces the door skin inward at the top front - the latch area. Keeps the top of the door from having a big bow in it like the Pocher door. Better to attach the upholstered inner panel. Note the door is wide open and the hinges are completely free without binding. The next post will show the overall look.

776%20M_zpsvjrwa0ny.jpg

Here is the complete fit including the belt line, taken from the first door. All the bits are playing nice with each other. The door bottom edge is flush with the body contour as is the leading edge with the cowl. Again, no friction or tape is holding this closed. This is its new natural state. Careful assembly of the inner panel will be needed to not build-in a warp. One more post after this with a surprise.

The hard work of Dave Ambrose has allowed me to at least post these shots but there are obviously more gremlins in my site software. I will communicate with Dave about this in the hopes he can help me and any others suffering zany maladies like this.

777%20M_zpsrpnpwa7j.jpg

Waste not / want not. Having door #1 (remember 'Let's Make A Deal'??) sitting in the scrap pile for unsuccessful ideas, I decided to get ahead and try my masking technique for the all-important color sweep. So I scuffed it, primed it gray, masked it and shot white primer on the lower. After that the cream color seen here. I'm not going for concours paint here, just making sure I get a clean edge then I'll mask the cream and shoot the dark red above. Door number 2 is my honey right now and I hope I can carry out the rest of the steps to make it operational.

Then do it all again for the driver's side door...............

778%20M_zps3q2ubqtx.jpg

This is a test, suggested by Dave Ambrose. It may resolve the problem mentioned above.

web-41_zpsjmy4mcmy.jpg

Well, thanks AGAIN to Dave, it worked.

EDIT: Except for the scrunched-up image...:(

Edited by Cato

To clarify...

I've been asked about the 'twisting' of the door skin with brass tubing. Here is why and how it comes out.

The reason is to get the upper front corner of the door to mate with the cowl so the latch can engage it. I was doing this by heat-bending the original Pocher door but with much thicker plastic and the natural pinch-in of the body, found it impossible through much trial and error. I realize that many Rolls builders never have this problem but don't know why. My many body modifications were not effecting this area.

Here is the door seen from the top. The front is at the left and the curve at the bottom is evident. A big improvement is that the door top is now near perfectly straight (with a pronounced curve at the bottom) and the interior panel will lie flat. A big change from the bent Pocher.

779%20M_zpshubali8u.jpg

Seen from the front edge,the latch area is at the top. Note how it tips inward compared to the bottom. Also the compound curvature of the whole bottom door edge is evident compared to the straighter top edge.

780%20M_zpsappfinkr.jpg