Model Cars Magazine Forum

68 Corvette Roadster

Vetteman15

Finished this kit tonight. This is a Revell kit that gave me fits for several months. The first body I ruined however Revell came through and sent me a replacement body and hood. Kudos to them as they did not charge me for the replacement.

The body was painted with Tamiya yellow from a rattle can. Clear coat is airbrushed Future floor polish and polished out with Meguires Hitech yellow wax number 26. Interior was airbrushed with craft paint from my local hobby store. Tried my hand at Bare Metal Foil and found it to be harder then I thought. All part of the learning experience.

Enjoy the pictures. post-11150-0-00033800-1394247837_thumb.jpost-11150-0-14467700-1394247877_thumb.jpost-11150-0-81714300-1394247926_thumb.jpost-11150-0-13163200-1394248001_thumb.j

Thanks everyone. I know the pictures need to be corrected. First time posting pictures.

The problems I had was painting the body using a rattle can. I am good with an airbrush and wanted to try another method. First body ended up with tons of runs and I melted the plastic by using the wrong lacquer thinner. I mostly use arcylics so lacqure was a new medium for me. Second try worked better and I was happy with the paint. Next problem was fitting the windshield to the body. It is not molded correctly to the windshield frame and the white glue could not hold it in place. Had to move to a more aggressive CA glue to get it to stay. Then attaching the chassis to the body was very difficult and required removal of the inner fender well and a reposition to allow the radiator to clear when joining the chassis to the body. There were no marks or pins that showed the correct alignment of the inner fender wells which also hold the hood in place. The chrome parts were also not in great shape as many parts were blemished and wrinkled in spots.

By the time I got,to this point, I was kind of done with the kit and finished as best I could. If this car was sitting in my driveway it would not be street legal because it is missing the exhaust, but would be really loud. LOL.

It looks pretty good, in yellow. I recently built that kit, in metallic orange. I had the same body to frame issues. It's like 5 pounds of "stuff" in a 3 pound bag. I ended up with a bigger hood gap, in the front, than I wanted, but I can live with it. Bare metal foil isn't the easiest thing, to master.