Model Cars Magazine Forum

1956 Oldsmobile

realgone58

Here's my X-EL reissue promo that I've had for years. It's a '56 Olds Ninety Eight Holiday 4dr hardtop, factory colors are Rose Mist metallic and Antique White. Back before I learned about BMF, years ago, I had painted the trim silver with good old sticky Testors, Recently, in between other builds, I've been fixing and upgrading some of my old builds. On this one, I had to carefully try to remove all the silver from the trim without damaging the factory Rose Mist that JoHan had sprayed on all those years ago. After a fist full of cotton swabs, and a nose full of spirits, it worked. I then polished the body out, and foiled it appropriately.

IMG_3442.JPG

IMG_3443.JPG

IMG_3444.JPG

IMG_3447.JPG

Thanks very much guys. I love the old X-EL's too. JoHan has always been my favorite. I am a bit what you would call an eccentric.........I love odd ball colors, 4 doors, station wagons, every day stuff, rockabilly, doo wop, old photographs, and whatever else can educate me of times past. For me, it's not only a hobby, but a way of life.

Good work on the "Old Olds." My Dad had a 55 Buick Special"....I wish these 50s Olds and Buicks could be had in 1:25 and 1:24 th scale kits...The Resin ones are "Spendy"

I know.......we sure could use a good '55-6 B.O.P. kit. Even if it's a 2 door sedan.

Love how this one turned out! I've got one molded in gray with red second-tone paint; traded out the rolling stock for a swap meet set of Franklin Mint Ferrari Testarossa wire wheels and tires. In the mid-'70s one of my junior high teachers had a white-and-green '56 88 two-door hardtop that I coveted greatly; I wish I'd kept in touch with her and bought it...

Nice build!!!! Nice colours and it has a period correct look about it. You were fortunate that you got what you paid for from X-El. I sent then $125.00 for modelsbut I guess that my timing was really poor because I received absolutely nothing. When you consider how manyy ears ago they packed it in and how much I sent, it was a chunk of change. When I see that name now, it just stirs up bad feelings and the strong desire to.. well, I'll say no more. You did a very nice job though. looks great!