Model Cars Magazine Forum

1969 Charger 500 Pro Street

Speedpro

• 2 weeks later...

Have a small update as I managed to get something done. Started looking at seat options, actually test fit a couple different styles. But I ended up back with the kit seats. They are kind of plane looking and need a little more than just adding seat belts. What I'm going to try and do is make a pair of headrests. I figured the thickness that was needed and glued some styrene together......

019_zpsf7018cf9.jpg

Some cutting and sanding and this is what I have to work with..........

020_zpsaa43cdd8.jpg

And now there is two!. Holes are drilled in the bottom of the headrest's for the pins that will be used to mount them to the top of the seats

024_zps9c6d8b4d.jpg

030_zpsd6af501e.jpg

The holes were drilled in the top of the seat and the headrest test fit..............

032_zps3e0271a6.jpg

A little more time getting the shape to match and get some paint on them and the seats. Then I can work on the belts. May also have to lower the seat too.

Another item I worked on was a 4-speed shifter. I didn't want to just put a handle sticking out of the floor so I looked at some options. I decided to build a vertical gate style 4-speed shifter. Only thing is, I'm going to try and carve it as I think it's the best way to do this. Here's how I did it...........

001_zpsbfb0e6fe.jpg

003_zpsa6293953.jpg

And here's the handle..........

007_zpsf66b9a86.jpg

Next I made the gate lever and attached it to the handle.............

010_zps639d6cea.jpg

Then using tin strips of pop can I made the bottom part of the gate lever....

013_zps763378f3.jpg

Threw some paint on it and this is what I ended up with. Still have to mount it to the console and also make the reverse lever.

027_zps05c8df62.jpg

Thanks for looking. More to come...............

028_zps9e80617c.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Any updates?

Haven't had a lot of time behind the bench. But I did manage to get something done for a small update.

Worked on the front grill last weekend. I knew I had to deal with this part sooner or later. Being that the headlights are chrome, I had to take on the task of fixing that little problem. Went through the parts box for some lens's that would fit the hole that was going to be in the grill after the headlights are drilled out. Everything I came up with is to big, so they will be have to be cut down to fit. So here's the grill..........

001_zpsf4129e45.jpg

Let's remove them ugly headlight's. I first used a #11 blade and carefully opened up the hole and then used a file to finish the job...

003_zps7558e97e.jpg

007_zps2dbabdd5.jpg

For the back side of the headlight, a paper punch was used to make the round backing I needed. These parts will get covered with BMF and the head of a small pin will be placed in the center....

005_zps68a04fdb.jpg

And after some hugging and kissing the lens's and a couple hour's to finish it up, this is what is now going on the front of the car.

024_zps9d0370d3.jpg

027_zps5fd0f5ae.jpg

Thanks everyone for the comments and will have more soon.

Paul