Model Cars Magazine Forum

'70 Mustang Mach 1/ Boss 302 (8/27 Foiling)

Styrofoam04

Haha Thanks guys! this engine was my practice engine as I'm building the Mach1

@vamach1 I saw this reference pic as well, but I have no idea how to make the blue pipe thingy with the shinys!?

Also how does everyone make the ignition coil?

you guys are very helpful cant thank you enough

Edited by Styrofoam04

the blue pipe thingy is a tube installed to control where internal engine pressure is vented (in regular passenger cars it is directed back into the air cleaner to be burned by the motor since it usually has fumes and is also an emission control feature).

the shinys (breather caps) are vent caps which have screens in them, on most performance engines they are attached to the valve covers where you see the blue pipe connected in this photo.

the ignition coil and blue pipe can be made from rod (plastic or metal), sprue or any other material you have on hand, the breather caps can be made or robbed from other kit motors.

the ignition coil can be as simple as a short piece of sprue with a hole in one end to insert a coil wire from the distributor cap, paint detail will do the rest.

Edited by blunc
fix

21 hours ago, mustang1989 said:

Thanks for the added info there Hakan. I'm assuming that the added smaller line is for a pressure gauge or fuel return line?

Yes that's right.
The blue pipe "thingy" with the  breathers were mostly used in circle and road track cars like NASCAR and Trans Am to prevent oil from the valve covers leaking out through the breather caps due to the centrifugal force in the turns, that can happen if the breathers are in the usual place on the valve covers and the long tube helps.

Edited by Force

• 2 weeks later...
17 hours ago, geordie said:

I have found that cotton buds work wonders for smoothing out all the nooks and crannies.

LOL I tried them but they kept falling apart lol.. I think I pushed too hard with the toothpicks.

I also think it's because I used aluminum tape. I tried making my own foil. I went to Micheals but in Canada they don't have the metal leaf glue. The lady recommended I use Mod Podge glue and wait for it to get tacky... but it was a fail!

16 hours ago, vamach1 said:

The MPC 69 Mustang kit includes a 428 with those breather tubes and caps.  A coil can be found in many kits including the AMT 67 Mustang or GT350.

Thanks... I now have new kits for my wish list...Now I'll I need is New Edge Mustang GT kit and some True Blue paint to make a copy of mine

On 8/30/2018 at 2:14 PM, ThatMustangGuy said:

What about the 67 Shelby GT500 from AMT?

Do you mean the 68 GT500?   Not that I recall.  I think I used the 69 kit for the 68 GT500KR I made.

IMG_2770.JPG

Edited by vamach1