Model Cars Magazine Forum

In the grey-background header of the reply box, you will see a little thing which looks like two chain links with a green circle at the bottom right corner of the chain links- click this, then paste the link (aka, web address or URL) on the space provided in the pop up box. This will automatically add the link to the body of your post, like so:

http://public.fotki.com/misterNNL/1925-ford-model-tt-/

Same thing with a link to an image, this time by clicking the tree icon two placed to the right of the link icon:

100_4946-vi.jpg

Charlie's exactly right.

Tom shows how he has started a new mostly scratchbuilt project comprised of a truck conversion of a Model T along with a period-correct Wrecker boom and bed. Also, his technique for scaling accurate dimensions from period photography. Cool stuff!

TIM

Thanks for the kind words guys!If it appears that I jump from one part of the build to another,it's because I do.Models like this require a lot of research and planning for me so while I am working on how to proceed with one problem or another I switch over and work on another part of it.Overcomplicationitis is a terrible thing.The only known cure is to keep building I think.

I can do that.I will post something over the next few days showing the step by step modifications I made.I would really like to find a real TT so I can like my own photos and dimensions for a more accurate replica of that worm gear drive rear end.I have some photos taken of vintage literature showing engineering type cut away line drawings that I will also post at that time.

I believe the part you're refering to is he quick change rear end rear end main housing.In the 1:1 hot rod world it allows the car owner to remove the gears inside and insert different ones with either more or fewer teeth.As we all know changing the gear ratios effects rates of vehicle acceleration and gas milage.In effect you can drive a hot rod as a commuter vehicle to work all week(wouldn't that be a terrible thing to have to do)with a gear set engineered for good mileage then change ratios on Friday night and go racing over the weekend.

IMHO AMT included that part in that particular kit since they were giving us a kit we could a use to finally build a fenderless "highboy"hot rod in the Norm Garbowski "kooike's T" style and that genre of hot rods used that quick rear end as a widely used feature at that time.

Frank,I added 16 new photos to the album today showing all of the steps needed to modify the AMT kit rear end into the TT worm drive.If any one has any questions please let me know.

Tom many thanks for the photos and text, very easy to follow.

Frank Lee

This is very cool, the worm drive axle that I thought the part was looks nothing like the one you are building. I must have seen an aftermarket axle for a regular Model T truck to mistake it with whatever it is on the sprue.

Thank you for taking the time to build a second wormdrive, I now have another future project as time permits. :blink:

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks guys!I finally got in the high arched resin cast rear springs I ordered from Replicas and Miniatures Of Maryland so I am rebuilding the rear crossmember on the frame to accept it.I need to get this truck up on wheels so I can start the wooden bed and cab rails.Then on to the wrecker boom assembly.Stay tuned.