Model Cars Magazine Forum

I recently printed out various woodgrain samples to a proper-looking scale. All of these samples can be downloaded/enlarged/reduced/cropped the way you want. Plus, you can adjust color, contrast, etc the way you want on most graphics programs that are already on your computer or printer.

http://www.certainlywood.com/woodmenu2.cfm?p=6

Edited by sjordan2

MVC010F-vi.jpg

Guys, it's easy enough to paint wood grain. I have saved a tutorial that Irvin Arter put on the Hobby Heaven board many years ago. I recently saw Irvin and told him I was sharing his technique, and he just laughed and said he learned it from Lyle Willets. Anyone who wants a copy please email or PM me (my email is at the bottom of this post) and I'll email you a copy. I can't post it since it's a large PDF.

Grain on that tape is way out of scale. Might work okay on a very large scale model, but not 1/24/25 scale stuff. Unless the wood type is a very large grained wood or has some unique characteristics (burls, etc), you can't see much grain in 1/25 scale. In fact, some woods, like maple, you can barely see grain on 1:1, so it's basically just a color.

Decals with very fine grain are the way to go - painting looks decent on some areas, usually smaller items, but depends on wood type, etc.

I did the woodgrain work on my Revell '49 Mercury wagon as follows:

First, I masked off and painted the entire woodie panels (sides, and the tailgate at the rear) and airbrushed them with a mix of Testors #1141 Gloss Wood Tan that was lightened up with a bit of #1145 Gloss White. After this was dried completely, I used some small foam eyeshadow applicators (found the cosmetics department at my local Walgreen's) to wipe on an artists oil paint straight from the tubes--"raw sienna" darkened with just a bit of "burnt umber", to get a wood grain effect. With a bit of practice, and really spreading it out a good bit, I was able to get a very believable, almost scale-appearing woodgrain effect. Artist's oils take a long time to dry, as they are mixed using linseed oil, which has to "oxidize" (combine with oxygen in the air) to solidify. In the case of this woodgraining effect, that took a good three days.

Once the oil paint was dry, I added the kit decals, which in themselves are a pretty decent rendition of what Honduran mahogany looks like. After the decals were dried, I brushed a coat of Tamiya Clear Yellow Acrylic Enamel over all the woodwork, my wood graining as well as on the decals. The clear yellow really "warms up" the tans and browns, giving a very believable color, along with wood grain, not only in color detail, but even a very slight effect of woodgraining to the surface itself:

rcuryStationWagonwoodgraining3-vi.jpg

I think it's pretty convincing!

Art

• 2 years later...

I just looked at the website and I think that the wood grain is way too large for 1/25 scale models.

Not to mention that the tape itself will be WAY too thick to look right on a 1/25 scale model (think door lines here).  I've done some wood-graining on model cars before--it's NOT at all hard! I used a tan paint (Testors gloss Wood Tan) and once that dried, used some artist's oil paint (the stuff that comes in tubes!) and simply streaked that over the tan paint with some of those little foam "eye shadow" applicators you can find in the cosmetics section at any drugstore or Big Box store (got mine at my local Walgreen's). With artist's oil paints, you DO have to wait for several days after application for the stuff to dry--it does not dry by evaporation, as it's linseed oil based--linseed oil has to "oxidize" by reaction with the oxygen in the air--but once it's dried, l I coated it with Tamiya Clear Yellow, to give it a rich, warm look.  For the darker, mahogany panels on woodie station wagons, I would use Testors Brown gloss enamel, and streak on one of the darker brown oil paint.

Art

You might want to look at these. http://www.uschivdr.com/ They are a wood grain printed on a clear carrier, much like some carbon fiber decals.  You lay down you base color and then put these over the top.  They are available here in the states form Last Cavalry. http://shop.lastcavalry.com/brands/Uschi-van-der-Rosten.htm I got a set for another project I am working on and think they will work out really well.  You can vary the base coat to get what ever type of wood you would like to replicate.