Forum will be Offline for Server Maintenance ×
Model Cars Magazine Forum

3 window Deuce

mrm

I finally finished this one. I know that a lot of people will disagree with me, but this is what a real hot rod should be. Not too high tech and not too ratty either. Just pure power and attitude.

The model is build as a quick fun project (which end up taking about 10 years to be finally 100% finished). Everything is pretty much box stock 3 window with the motor from the 5 window, wheels and tires from the roadster and the steering wheel from the AMT Phantom Vicky.

vs59.jpg

yj33.jpg
fudks.jpg
n4dx.jpg
zdvl.jpg
I wasn't sure what license plate to go with, when I ran across the decal sheet from some Ferrari model and thought that it would be pretty cool to put this plate on an unfinished rod.
y80o.jpg
p2c6.jpg
xnvy.jpg
fc1f.jpg
38fy.jpg

You've got a real nice "ol school" look on this '32 Mike...nicely done! You may want to google "Acme License Plate Maker" if you haven't used them before. You can create any state, and several different years plates with anything that you want to put on a tag to personlize your ride with. Just an FYI.

Hi,

That is a nice deuce! This is the sort of build style I like as well. You must be pleased to get it onto the finished list.

Did the wheels and tyres from the roadster kit create the stance or did you do something else as well?

Edited by Jim Whalen

Thank you very much guys. I am glad to see all the positive comments. It is greatly appreciated.

Now to answer the two questions about the stance and the paint.

The paint is self etching automotive primer, available in any O'Riley's auto store. The fenders, body and hoods were sprayed maybe 10 years ago in preparation for a supposed dark green metallic. Kinda like British racing green. However the parts spent many years sitting on shelfs collecting dust and sometimes under the sun. This created this naturally faded effect, because……well….it's natural. Over time I lost the hoods. I have no idea where did they go. Then what happened, was that I saw a Street rod in Rodder's Journal that just blew me away. It had this mean stance, very simple and pure with vintage look to it. And it was British green. First thing that went through my mind was "I got just the body for this". But then I could not find the hoods. I was thinking I will just paint the whole thing and make new ones. But then when I was mocking the suspension on, I liked the way it looked. The front bumper has been slightly lowered and this creates the illusion of the car sitting even lower than it actually is. The spring and the mounting tabs on the front axle have been ground as far as possible. Combined with the smaller tires and lifting the rear about 1mm creates the "in the weeds" look. The exact same thing without the fenders and the bumpers will not have the same effect. I am building a 5 window like this, but with the Phantom Vicky wheels/tires and it is trouble, as the rears don't fit in the fenders. While playing with the suspension, Revell released the 5 window coupe and the minute I saw that motor, I knew my good ole Deuce will not need the lost hoods. I built the interior to have like a nice rich leather colors combined with black and brush detailed the dash to have yellow gauges to tie in the engine and rear end. If I could afford it, this would be the exact three window I would build in real life, except it would be shiny. I left this one in primer and added quite few very minor details to it. The front left fender has a "repair" on it's edge. There are "stains" here and there. There are spill marks right under the gas filler etc.. All these are pretty invisible, unless I point them out, but they give it just the right patina.

This is the car that inspired the model

oc5x.jpg

Edited by mrm

Thank you Tommy.

The headlight lenses were painted with Tamiya clear yellow from inside. For less yellowish effect you can paint just the inside of the chrome headlight bucket and leave the lens clear.