Model Cars Magazine Forum

> MPC 1980 Road Runner

I don't know in which of the two threads about this kit it lives in, but someone gave the advice to putty the underside of the roof first and then clean up the shiny side. Having one of them myself, that seems to be the most reasonable proposition for fixing (and affixing) the T-Tops.

I'm sure I'm going to have to do same, just to be on the safe side.

Oh! I wanted to mention about the mistaken information I found on the box. One I kind of find funny, and I don't recall anybody else mentioning yet. On the one long box side where they talk about the "Stock Version" of the Volare is an interesting mistake. The caption for the with the engine picture reads, "Detailed 6-Cylinder Engine." That looks like no six I've ever seen in a Volare. For sure not a stock one.

One other odd thing I see in the box, is the kits representation of the engine's ignition distributer. That's got to be one of the weirdest distributers I've ever seen. My real Volare had a six in it. And it's distributer looked nothing like that. And doubt the real V-8 distributers did either.

Overall very minor mistakes. And I'm glad to have kit. Now to go a layer some putty on the underside of the roof.

Edited by unclescott58

Oh! I wanted to mention about the mistaken information I found on the box. One I kind of find funny, and I don't recall anybody else mentioning yet. On the one long box side where they talk about the "Stock Version" of the Volare is an interesting mistake. The caption for the with the engine picture reads, "Detailed 6-Cylinder Engije." That looks like no six I've ever seen in a Volare. For sure not a stock one.

One other odd thing I see in the box, is the kits representation of the engine's ignition distributer. That's got to be one of the weirdest distributers I've ever seen. My real Volare had a six in it. And it's distributer looked nothing like that. And doubt the real V-8 distributers did either.

Overall very minor mistakes. And I'm glad to have kit. Now to go a layer some putty on the underside of the roof.

I agree that looks a lot more like a 318 than any Straight 6 I've ever seen. Compiled with the reissue of the Lindberg Oldsmobile 442 Cutless, and that diecast pickup being a Cameo Stepside, Round2 might wanna invest in a package designer with at least an appreciation of cars. 

The more I see of Volares and Aspens, the better I like them. I've always like the '76 and '77 Volares and Aspens. But, I never really liked the new grilles for either of in '78 and '79. And the new taillights were even worst. The 1980s front end was a big improvement over the previous two years. But, still I wasn't overly thrilled with it at the time. As time goes by, I still like the '76 and '77s a lot. The 1980s versions have gotten better in time IMO. The '78 - '79s? I'm still not fond of them. Though they are not as ugly as I remember them to be either. The taillights on all post '77 Volares and Aspens are terrible to this day. Bland, boring, and too plasticee looking.

The other thing I like are the '76 and '77s Volare Road Runners and Aspen R/Ts without the spoilers, wheel flares, and window louvers. '79 was the worst year for both option packages. 1980 they cleaned them up a lot. Though I still have mixed feeling about the spoilers on those.

Okay enough said for now about that. Time to go sand those t-top roof seams away.

As far as the Volare...............I dunno. I wasn't that crazy about the car when they were new. They were part of everything that was wrong with Detroit during the "malaise era". Looking back at 'em today, they'd probably make an interesting kit. If nothing else, they'd could always be my slump buster not if, but when the time comes! :P

The Roadrunner version of the Volare  looked really good but many of the Aspens and Volares was just basic transportation with many having slant 6 engines and they did have a rust problem...

I got my Volare in the mail on Sarurday. But, this morning is the first time I've really had a chance to look at it. And I'm a little worried. There are raised lines for the t-tops on the roof. That's okay, they can be easily sanded away. But, on the underside of the roof, there are what looks like fairly deep lines for cutting the roof for the t-tops. They look deep enough, that I worry if I do to sand the raised lines on top, there will barely be enough plastic left to hold the main section of the roof in place.

What are your thoughts on this? What have you done? Do I need to fill the underside lines with putty before sanding the top? Or am I worrying too much about this?

Beyond the above concern, everything looks typical MPC from the time. Which is fine with me. I see the old plastic tires are still there. Though with beautiful tampo printed Goodyear Radial GT's, I don't see anybody wanting to use those today. But, since they are part of the mold, I appreciate Round 2 for still giving them to us.

As far as what to color to paint the car? I'm leaning very strongly towards Yellow. A few years ago I built the Daisy Duke's Yellow Road Runner. And I have a 1975 Road Runner promo in Yellow. So I'm thinking Yellow to keep the theme going. Though the only other Road Runner I've built. My '68, which I built over ten years ago is Orange. Maybe it's time to pickup another '68 and paint it Yellow?

You might want to grab some Plastruct or Evergreen strip and glue that into the grooves. I'll take another look at mine and see if I can come up any other ideas.

Charlie Larkin

You might want to grab some Plastruct or Evergreen strip and glue that into the grooves. I'll take another look at mine and see if I can come up any other ideas.

Charlie Larkin

Thanks Charlie, but I've already filled mine in with Testors putty. And I'm already finished with the sanding. I just need to shoot some primer to make sure things turned out as good as they are looking.

Thanks Charlie, but I've already filled mine in with Testors putty. And I'm already finished with the sanding. I just need to shoot some primer to make sure things turned out as good as they are looking.

Hopefully I catch you before you paint, but if you could post a couple of pictures (top/bottom) as a demo, it might be a good idea.

Charlie Larkin

While this RR is a '79, it's wearing the 14" aluminum wheels you mention:

79RRright.jpg

Pics107.jpg

Now that is interesting!!
Are those original option wheels?

I got a set of 14" wheels in my stash that I have tried to find out where they came from.
Mine are made by british GKN and I think they look similar but not identical to the ones ones on your car.
The bolt pattern in 5-4,5" and fit a mopar.