Model Cars Magazine Forum

> MPC 1980 Road Runner

I think the wheels  were a one year only because they weren't offered in 79 and Chrysler quit making the Volare after 1980.  I looked today and there are a few MPC or AMT 4X4 kits that you could make the wheels work from.  The 80 white Road Runner in that picture looks nice and clean.  I do hope the kit is offered with a couple different Road Runner color decals.  

• 2 months later...

The '77 Volare annual was one of the first kits I built with minimal help from my Mom, and I've really been looking forward to this 1980 version being reissued. There are two threads going for this kit, but thought this one was the better place to show the pieces from the new kit. Haven't compared it to the original-issue Fuzz Duster but the new kit looks as expected in white plastic rather than black like the original. The only "bonus" part I've spotted is the center portion of the 1977 Volare Road Runner Super Pak kit's front spoiler...it's on the end of the tree with the separate t-top panels and rear spoiler. (EDIT: The Super Pak kit's one-piece rear spoiler is also on the tree with the t-top panels; it's different that the wider wrap-around unit on the tree with the fender flares) The original kit's stock two-piece plastic tires are here, and Round 2 has included another set in vinyl with tampo-printed Goodyear GT Radial outline lettering. The Fuzz Duster tires are the old hollow MPC big n' bigger Goodyear Blue Streaks, same as the original issue.

IMG_3067.jpg

IMG_3068.jpg

IMG_3070.jpg

IMG_3072.jpg

IMG_3069.jpg

IMG_3073.jpg

IMG_3075.jpg

Edited by Don Sikora II
Added details about the third rear spoiler in the kit.

I'm liking those GT Radial tires...hopefully those will make it into a tire pack.  The 1:1 tires were krap, but those outline letters were so cool back in the day.  

I like them too, and it's always nice to see something different. Wouldn't mind seeing Round 2 do some with Eagle ST lettering as well.

Thanks Don. Looks good. The only thing I don't like is the molded in "T" tops. How are they molded in? Will it be easy to get rid of with a little sanding and some putty? I've always disliked T tops.

I have an original issue of this kit ; the T-tops aren't molded in , per see ; those are just (obtrusive) trimming guides. I can't stand T-tops,  either .With some careful filing and sanding ,those obnoxious t'-top lines should disappear .

I have an original issue of this kit ; the T-tops aren't molded in , per see ; those are just (obtrusive) trimming guides. I can't stand T-tops,  either .With some careful filing and sanding ,those obnoxious t'-top lines should disappear .

Sound good to me. Are the lines recessed into the plastic? Or are they raised? It's tough to tell from the above photos.

Edited by unclescott58

Sound good to me. Are the line recessed into the plastic? Or are they raised? It's tough to tell from the above photos.

They're raised. Should not be too big of a job. I'm with ya on T-Tops- they gotta go. Still- this issue was nice in that separate T panels are included if you're inclined to use them.

Don- thank you very much for posting the pics. 

Notice that stock Road Runner logos are included on the decal sheet this time! It was really good of Round 2 to do that. 

Notice that the stock graphics on the '80 Road Runner are pretty simple and sedate- unlike those on the '77-'79 cars. They're almost like the I.D.'s on the original '68 cars. I wonder if this was commentary from Chrysler- perhaps they knew the '80 was the Road Runner's swan song? For that matter, I think this was around the time Chrysler almost went out...

I dig all of the extra parts...if anybody isn't using their rear spoilers (especially the later style ones) - send them to me- I'll swap good stuff for these ?...

The T-roof is done the same way MPC did it on other kits from that period.  The interior/underside of the roof has recessed cut lines, like those they would put on the underside of a hood for an optional scoop.  Fill those cut lines before you do anything to the exterior side of the roof, and you're golden.

Don, What are the engine build options?

As I remember, these MPC kits did not have much of a "Hop Up" option, but there was always a second way to finish the engine, other than stock. Looking at the chrome tree, I think I see a Twin Carb manifold but I can't be certain. This new Round2 plating is so smooth and shiny that it can be hard to see detail without getting close. Mynd You, I really like the new chrome. So much better than the original stuff.

Thanks, Alan

The dual-quad intake is the only option.  It's low profile, fits under the stock hood.  There is a scoop included, but the hood does not have a cut line so it all has to fit underneath.

Thanks, Mark. That is what I'd thought might be the case.

I see that the Squad Rod Nova is in the line up as well. I wonder what we have to do the get "Smokey, the Convoy Chaser" Dodge Dart/Duster back? That would complete the Trio.

Heck, that would make a great 3 kit gift pack, for Christmas.

Thanks, Mark. That is what I'd thought might be the case.

I see that the Squad Rod Nova is in the line up as well. I wonder what we have to do the get "Smokey, the Convoy Chaser" Dodge Dart/Duster back? That would complete the Trio.

Heck, that would make a great 3 kit gift pack, for Christmas.

The Smokey Dart was reissued a few years ago..

Looks promising.

Getting the T-bar and "glass" panels to fill in well and look good for a solid roof will be a bit challenging, but it's within the realm of possibility.

I wonder if any of the whitewalls will fit the rims? Note to self: we need a good set of decent radial whitewalls for 1970s-early '90s cars.

Charlie Larkin