Model Cars Magazine Forum

> MPC 1980 Road Runner

I'm amazed at how much interest and discussion this kit has brought up. I'm pleased to see that there is interest in it. It seems like when Volares are mentioned at all, anyplace, most people go right into talking about what rotten cars they were. And they were. I owned one. But still, I've always liked them. I'm glad there are others here that seem to like them too.

The real cars may have been junk right from the go. The MPC model may not be up to the standards of recently tooled model kits. But, apparently I and others plan on buying and enjoying this nostalgic this trip. I'm glad to see I'm not the only one.

I'm amazed at how much interest and discussion this kit has brought up. I'm pleased to see that there is interest in it. It seems like when Volares are mentioned at all, anyplace, most people go right into talking about what rotten cars they were. And they were. I owned one. But still, I've always liked them. I'm glad there are others here that seem to like them too.

The real cars may have been junk right from the go. The MPC model may not be up to the standards of recently tooled model kits. But, apparently I and others plan on buying and enjoying this nostalgic this trip. I'm glad to see I'm not the only one.

The design was fresh, the execution sadly reflected the attitude of the area.

The design was fresh, the execution sadly reflected the attitude of the area.

I agree 100%. For a car of the time, I thought it was very good looking. Between styling and features, on paper and the show floor it looked like a great car. But, in many ways it was a typical of an American car of the time. (Okay, it was somewhat worst than the other bad American cars of the time.) There is a reason Toyota and Honda took the market by storm at the time. But, still I liked the Volare/Aspen combo.

By the way, the first thing I had to do with my new Volare back in 1977, was get out a Phillips screwdriver and titen every screw I could find in the interior of the car. Chrysler's quality control was terrible back then. Much worst then GM or Ford. On par with AMC from what I remember. And no where near Toyota, Honda, or Datsun. But, I liked the car despite that. The slant-six and Torqueflite transmission had a good reputation. And again compared to other cars at the time, I liked the looks. If it wasn't for the rust problems, I wonder how many people would have a better view of the cars today? After all, you never hear people bad mouth the LeBaron, Diplomat, and others based on the same chassis nearly as much.

Edited by unclescott58

I've never understood why Chrysler chose to use so much less rust-proofing, or it didn't work as well? The GM cars especially seemed to hold up much better, and you would expect it would be comparable. It all must've come down to assembly quality.

It seemed though, that if you got a good F-body, you actually did get a pretty good car. The problem was they were few and far between.

Charlie Larkin

Uncle Scott, I never had the "pleasure" of owning one of these cars. But the Model excites me much more than the 1975 Dodge "Dart", that Round2 Released a couple years ago. I hope Round2 can give us as many options as they can on this olde tool. I look forward to building one, warts and all. It looks like a great Street Racer canidate.

Edited by alexis
spelling errors

During 1979 in my first year on the CHP the state bought 12 of these pieces of **** on an experimental basis (along with 12 Camaros and 12 Fairmonts).

Volare%20SW_zpsq80rjjkt.jpg

We drove these in heavy LA freeway traffic after being threatened with insubordination by the Sgt if we didn't.  The downhill in a hurricane/balls to the walls/end of a flat road/never to exceed on pain of death speed was 75mph.  Couldn't reach speed fast enough to safely enter traffic on the freeway.  At least they didn't rust in LA.  (Every one of the Camaros went down with spun bearings, the Fairmonts completely ran out of breath at 96mph.  1979 was the absolute nadir of automobile development.

Edited by The Junkman

During 1979 in my first year on the CHP the state bought 12 of these pieces of **** on an experimental basis (along with 12 Camaros and 12 Fairmonts).

We drove these in heavy LA freeway traffic after being threatened with insubordination by the Sgt if we didn't.  The downhill in a hurricane/balls to the walls/end of a flat road/never to exceed on pain of death speed was 75mph.  Couldn't reach speed fast enough to safely enter traffic on the freeway.  At least they didn't rust in LA.  (Every one of the Camaros went down with spun bearings, the Fairmonts completely ran out of breath at 96mph.  1979 was the absolute nadir of automobile development.

Two words regarding police vehicles --and vehicles in general-- in California , 1975 & later : Jerry Brown .

Chrysler was in bad shape back then and rushed these cars to market to replace the aging Valiant / Dart line. In Lee Ioccocca's first book he said the Volare / Aspens were Alpha tested by the first year buyers! 

The rusted front fenders were due to two different metals in that area that reacted and caused corrosion. That issue went back to 1963 Valiants. I had that issue on 1966 Valiants.

Interesting about your lack of speed with the '79 Volare police cars. My '77 Volare had the 225 "Super Six". The one with the 2-barrel carburetor. It had federal emissions and the Torqueflite. And I could bury the 100 mph speedometer in it. Mine wasn't the fastest car in the world by any means. But, I had no major problems entering or keeping up with traffic at the time. Could California emissions have chocked off your cars that bad?

California emissions controls plus the notorious 'lean burn' system on the V8s may have been the culprit...  http://www.allpar.com/mopar/lean-burn.html.   In the '80s my Dad had a '79 Dodge 4x4 shortbed pickup with the 318, I believe it had the lean burn system...was a real turd to drive, painfully slow and prone to stall on left turns, dead, numb steering, bouncy suspension, just all around awful.  Of course, the truck was probably 1000-1500 heavier than the Aspen/Volare, but the 318 seemed powerless...

Edited by Rob Hall

My mistake . I meant to say "fenders" .

???? I want some proof of that. I think your mistaking Dodge's Diplomat with their Aspen. Diplomat and LeBaron maybe share the same front fenders. Aspen and Volare for sure shared the same front fenders. Sorry John, you need to repeat basic MoPar first grade. ? (Or was that second grade they thought us that?)

Diplomat and LeBaron maybe share the same front fenders. Aspen and Volare for sure shared the same front fenders. Sorry John, you need to repeat basic MoPar first grade. ? (Or was that second grade they thought us that?)

John's correct. The '80 F-bodies used the M-body front fenders, bumpers, as well as other parts.

John's correct. The '80 F-bodies used the M-body front fenders, bumpers, as well as other parts.

Chrysler was a master at parts sharing and restyling cars on a minimal budget.  The most expensive part of the 1980 refresh of the Diplomat and LeBaron had to be the roof and rear doors (the '77-79 had the same roofline and rear doors as the Aspen/Volare).   The 2dr M-body only lasted until '81, and it had a unique roof and C-pillar design.   And for badge engineering, the Diplomat was badged as the Plymouth Caravelle in Canada, the Dodge Dart and Magnum in Mexico, and the Dodge Coronet in Columbia.
Edited by Rob Hall

California emissions controls plus the notorious 'lean burn' system on the V8s may have been the culprit...  http://www.allpar.com/mopar/lean-burn.html.   In the '80s my Dad had a '79 Dodge 4x4 shortbed pickup with the 318, I believe it had the lean burn system...was a real turd to drive, painfully slow and prone to stall on left turns, dead, numb steering, bouncy suspension, just all around awful.  Of course, the truck was probably 1000-1500 heavier than the Aspen/Volare, but the 318 seemed powerless...

Ron the stalling on turns was something my '77 six cylinder Volare did too. It's been a long time, but I think it was on left hand turns too. As noted before, I had the "Super Six" with the 2-barrel carburator, rather than the single barrel. Most 318s came with a 2-barrel carbs too. I don't how simular the carburators used between the 2 different engines were. But, in the case of the 2-barrel on the sixes, I believe it turned out to be a float problem that most competent mechanics with a little carburator background could fix.

I don't recall any problems with the "Lean Burn" system on federal emission vehicles. I suspect the California emissions package was more of a problem than the "Lean Burn" system. But, don't go to the bank with me on that one.

Ah, the fun of owning cars from the late 1970's. Especially Chrysler products. But, it was not just limited to Chrysler products. It was a sad time. Despite what I know and remember, I still like some of the cars and trucks produced back then. And I'm looking forward to Round 2/MPCs reissuing of their '80 Volare. No matter how bad the real car was.

Chrysler was a master at parts sharing and restyling cars on a minimal budget.  The most expensive part of the 1980 refresh of the Diplomat and LeBaron had to be the roof and rear doors (the '77-79 had the same roofline and rear doors as the Aspen/Volare).   The 2dr M-body only lasted until '81, and it had a unique roof and C-pillar design.   And for badge engineering, the Diplomat was badged as the Plymouth Caravelle in Canada, the Dodge Dart and Magnum in Mexico, and the Dodge Coronet in Columbia.

Maybe on the '80. They do look close. For sure not the '76 - '79s. But, still I'd like to see a MoPar or Hollanders exchange manual to prove it.

A quick web search lead me to Wikipedia, and they confirmed what you guys are saying about 1980 Volares and Diplomats sharing the same front fenders. Just looking at them in Tad Burness' American Car Bible, 1940-1980, they very close. I'm willing to concede that I'm wrong on this one. Unless I see proof the other way. But, knowing you guys, I'm sure your correct one this one. I bow down to the masters. ?

And I'm looking forward to Round 2/MPCs reissuing of their '80 Volare. No matter how bad the real car was.

Think this kit will be an interesting exercise on how well the market reacts to model kits of late 70s American cars.

Will nostalgia embrace the era and forget all the bad.....time will tell

;^)

The only reason I am buying a couple of these is polystyrene doesn't rust.  My investment is safe.   :P

I have said this before about malaise era cars.  The cars may have stunk, but they were the cars we had at that time, and they were the cars we came of age in.  I didn't buy my Pacer kit because the Pacer was such awesomely engineered car,  I bought it because I have a lifelong memory of riding out to Higgins Lake State Park in a Pacer a couple of weeks after graduation with a bunch of good friends.  I haven't seen most of them since that day, although I have reconnected with a couple on the 'net.  We all kind of knew that we were going separate ways, so we got together one last time.  I won't buy one of these Volare/ Roadrunners because the real cars  were mechanical marvels.  I will buy them because they bring back memories of trips to the dragstrip to watch jets and funnycars.  I will build one as a friend's daily driver, and one as a bracket car from the era.   I also have acquired kits of Dusters, Mustang IIs, 79 Trans Ams, Mavericks and Rabbits, as well as Gremlins and other assorted rolling wrecks.  These kits are not my normal building fare, but they are fun reminders of times in my past.  I would even buy a kit of a Plymouth Reliant 2 door (The dreaded K-car), if one was out there, as it was, regrettably,  my first brand new car.  The thing leaked, smoked, sparked, broke, spewed, rattled, wobbled and shimmied, but it was also the car I brought the kids home from the Hospital in, took on vacation, took to gigs, camped out in at lots of racing events and carried a lot of bikes, canoes and luges on.  (Little known fact, the K-car could hold 240 bowling pins, a Sheepdog and a television set with plenty of room left over for a few tool boxes)  Some cars I build for awesomeness, other car I build to go back to a simpler time.  

A quick web search lead me to Wikipedia, and they confirmed what you guys are saying about 1980 Volares and Diplomats sharing the same front fenders. Just looking at them in Tad Burness' American Car Bible, 1940-1980, they very close. I'm willing to concede that I'm wrong on this one. Unless I see proof the other way. But, knowing you guys, I'm sure your correct one this one. I bow down to the masters. ?

Yes , 1980 Volares shared the same front fender as  Diplomat and Fury. I've always wanted to put a Fury nose ,hood and bumpers ,on a Volare to make my own Sport Fury . The Fury,s dash would bolt right in too.I had a 79 T-top Road Runner that I was going to do ,but it is impossible to get replacement seals for the T-tops. Something else not known to  many is that you can bolt a 440 in one using 73 B-body  big block engine mounts on a V8 F-body k-frame ,and an A-body 8 3/4  will bolt in if you  spread the rear leaf springs a half inch.0

Edited by Pat Minarick

Boy Dave, considering cars of that era were such pieces of you know what, we got a lot of use out of them. My first new car, my '77 Volare had problems. But, it got me were I needed to go. And I too have fond memories of different things I did with that car. And places and events it took me to. I had family and friends who owned other cars that people now look badly upon. You mention Mustang IIs. My dad had a '77 he bought brand new. Other than a broken camshaft. It really wasn't a bad car. I had several friends who owned Chevettes. Including one who own a T-1000. All got very good service from those. I couple friends with Pintos. In general they were not good cars. But, we traveled far and had fun in them. For all the bad things you hear about Vegas. A buddy of mine who was tough on everything. Could not kill his parents '71 for longest time.

I can go on with stories of Mavericks and other beaters friends had owned back then. Somehow these cars all gave us pretty good service, over all. So were they really bad cars? I'm not so sure they were really any more unreliable then the cars people were driving ten, twenty, or thirty years before. But, by the 70's the government had stepped in. Try to make the cars cleaner and safer. Making them uglier and poor performers compared to those a few years before. But, I'm not sure the build quality, engineering, or materials were any worst. My folks new '61 Comet rusted almost to junk in the 6 years they owned it. Dad's '71 Toyota Hi-Lux pickup did no better. Yet we thought they both were very good vehicles. They and the '67 Comet served us well. So did my folks '75 Mercury Monarch.

And by the late 70's, there were glimmers of hope. My mother bought a new Oldsmobile 88 in 1980. She drove that car for twenty years. It gave her great service and still looked and ran good in 2000 when she got rid of it.

Now my 2000 LeSabre is by far the best car I've ever own. At just over 122,000, nothing major has been done to the car since new. And virtually no rust. It's a wonderful car. But, still I miss my '53 Chrysler New Yorker with bad brakes. My six year old slightly rusty, but very trusty '73 LeSabre. My '62 LeSabre that I had to readjust the timing every week or so. And my first new car, my '77 Volare that would stall on certain quick turns.

Go figure?

Edited by unclescott58