Model Cars Magazine Forum

VW Type 3 Notchback

empinut

Airtrax Resin Body used as base with many modifications and details added. Chassis is from a Fujimi Porsche 911 with a Turbo engine added for motivation. Engine and chassis details are all there, you can only see from the bottom. BRM rims are my own creation. Added interior details like pull handles for getting in the back seat on the B pillars made from cut down seat belt material and sun visors and Photoetch dash and pedal details. All windows are flush fit made from 015 clear sheet. Front hood trim, "cat eye" mirror, headlights, turn signals and rear lights are scratchbuilt. Boy that was fun. PE emblems added.

Last 2 pics show the T3 Notch next to Airtrax T3 Razor Ghia.

post-482-0-66008900-1400006926_thumb.jpg

post-482-0-12282900-1400006938_thumb.jpg

post-482-0-31478700-1400006952_thumb.jpg

post-482-0-01875700-1400006970_thumb.jpg

post-482-0-41207000-1400006983_thumb.jpg

post-482-0-39396700-1400007006_thumb.jpg

post-482-0-86293000-1400007023_thumb.jpg

Thanks Ray, Jesse, Lee, Steven and Harry! Appreciate the kind words.

I think this was the first resin Notch that made it to these shores from way back and some of you know (Gregg included) I have been fighting this model every step of the way for more than a few years. I was tired of staring at it half finished. I used the metallic paint to hide (try to hide) some of the body work/resin issue flaws, but had more issues on the roof and went with just Black for a 2 tone. Now I can move on to the Split, Binz, Hebmueller and Stoll. You VW nuts know what I'm talkin bout.

Rare V-Dubs. At least here in the US. Would love see more of your Type 3 Ghia. And for all of the problems you had, your Type 3 notchback sure turned out well, Bill. Very nice. Despite these two cars not being officially offered in USA, I remember someone a few miles from my home in the 1970's, owning a notchback. I can only assume it was originally purchased in Canada and brought down here to Minnesota. In a world of fastbacks and squarebacks it was and is always cool to see the other types of Type 3s.

Scott

Many thanks for the kind words!

Juha is involved with Airtrax as some of the kits are mastered by him or cast by him, but I am not sure if he is involved with every offering.

Unclescott, you can see the evolution of these builds on my fotki named ....empinut

I didn't realize I started the Notch 9 years ago. Jeez.