Model Cars Magazine Forum

Modelhaus Cheetah kit mini review

Got this kit the other day and thought I would share some photo's and some thoughts about it. Sort of a mini review if you will. The kit was 60 bucks with 10 bucks for shipping. It took just shy of 7 weeks for it to arrive. The parts look very nice, very clean. Pretty simple kit due to the low piece count. This is a curbside kit and as such it does not have an engine and it is very simple on the underside. There are 3 things that I have an issue with that maybe more of a personal view rather than anything wrong in the kit itself. First, I would have liked to see some clear headlight covers rather than just the solid ones supplied in the kit. Not sure how to fix that if I want to. Secondly, the front grill area is just completely open and looks unfinished. I will have to check some photo's of the real car to see if you see a radiator or something so I can add that. Lastly, the tires. They seem a little wimpy to me and I may want to chance them out for something more meaty. They look too narrow to anyone else ?

cheetahreview001_zpsdda9a893.jpg

cheetahreview002_zps996c0da4.jpg

cheetahreview003_zps6745ccfb.jpg

cheetahreview004_zps9d0ad8cf.jpg

It looks like a very nice kit Ray !

Those solid headlight covers are correct for a race ready Cheetah , but I agree with you that clear ones would look much better . Maybe you can find a clear package with the proper curvature to it or maybe a water bottle ?

The grille opening is just that . . . it's open ! I was thinking of putting a black screen on the inside or maybe some driving lights set inside the opening .

And it won't look right without some more meat on those wheels ! The ones included are probably the right letter size tire but in scale they look too small !

I haven't even started my Cheetah yet , in fact you'll be done with yours before I do ! Can't wait to see it !

I agree on the wheels/tires...

I used a 'trans am wheel/tire kit' from Perry's Resins, came with rotor/hubs as a mounting point... dunno if they are still around...

DSC00594.jpg

this is the MiniExotics not the modelhaus...have one, still bagged...

anybody need some 'cheetahs always win' decals pm me...

This kit looks nice. Most of the pictures I see of this car all have different tires.

http://www.bing.com/images/search?q=cheetah+race+car+images&qpvt=cheetah+race+car+images&FORM=IGRE#view=detail&id=64E9DCF306EAC0AE65C92D138DA76727EB448E02&selectedIndex=4

This car has some skinny tires but looks good.

Edited by 1930fordpickup

Thanks for the review and the pix. You gotta remember when these things were raced, the huge wide meats we're used to seeing on race-cars today were in the future somewhere. Cars set up for vintage road-racing often end up with more rubber than is exactly period-correct, so just check your references and go with what looks right to you.

I have most of the Cox kit from the 60's and this certainly looks like it was cast from that kit, minus the wheels. The tires look like they may be modified from the originals which were two piece plastic, as I remember they were pretty good sized for the day. The Cox kit had chrome plated covers for the headlights, and I believe I've seen someone sell clear vacuumed pieces in the slot car listings on ebay. The "engine" insert looks completely different though. My kit had a dual carb manifold insert while this looks to be a fuel injection piece. I cant tell for sure from these pics.

There are some headlight clear covers listed on ebay as a set with the windows also. They are going for like 30 bucks so I won't be buying them. Tying to figure out if there is an easy way to mold some using the solid covers as a model. If not I will just use the covers provided. No big deal but I think I would prefer clear covers if possible.

Dont forget the Cartograf-printed Cheetah decals from those wonderful folks at Vintage Racing Miniatures!

BTW - most of the Cheetahs did not have those louvers on the hood or behind the side windows. Most race cars had them as just open holes.

The rubber in the Revell 427 Cobra is probably the best match for a Cheetah.

Steve D.

There is a radiator, but it is not close to the nose opening. See here:

http://www.hotrod.com/hotroddeluxe/1305_bill_thomas_ford_cheetah/photo_06.html

Historic Racing Miniatures makes a full detail Cheetah with the correct engine parts. The Revell '62 Vette is a good source for some parts. Cheetahs ran a few different intake setups too.

Hope that helps...

Steve D.