Model Cars Magazine Forum

Starting my first model, what's the first step?

After washing the parts,like Robin mentioned (a soak in mild dishwashing liquid and water will do, air dry) then the parts need to be cleaned of mold lines, flash and ejector pin marks left over from manufacturing. A good hobby knife and some sanding sticks from your local beauty supply store (nail care) are your tools.

Edited by Jantrix

Just make sure your soap you use has no lotions in it...it might cause a paint problem when painting called(fish eyes). Best advise anyone has ever gave me on building is to treat every part as if it were a model itself and take your time building is not a race to get done but a challenge to build the best one can at a given point of experience. I have been building for over 44 years and still learn something new all the time...only dumb questions are the ones not asked.

Just make sure your soap you use has no lotions in it...it might cause a paint problem when painting called(fish eyes). Best advise anyone has ever gave me on building is to treat every part as if it were a model itself and take your time building is not a race to get done but a challenge to build the best one can at a given point of experience. I have been building for over 44 years and still learn something new all the time...only dumb questions are the ones not asked.

^What he said^

G

Perfect!

Thank you for the advice Mark, slow and steady wins the race! :D

Taking your time and going slow can't be emphasized enough. When you get frustrated with something, take a break, you'll get fresh ideas how to tackle a specific problem doing so, don't force the issue. And be VERY careful with the x-acto knife, they will cut you in ways you can't imagine, and quickly, trust me. In fact I've trained myself of late that no matter what, when I'm done using the knife I ' Put the cover back on ' and set it aside. Things happen on the work bench sometimes that you can't predict and an uncovered x-acto blade is a dangerous implement when left uncovered. Basic safety precautions with all phases of modeling go a long way. Now, dream big and build beautiful and have some fun, it's a very rewarding hobby.

Eric-

Let us know a bit about you, what kit you have, what tools you have and what your intentions are for your first build. The guys here have years of experience, and many of us can't appreciate starting from scratch, assuming that what we all know is common knowledge. Your first model isn't going to be perfect, it's basically a learning experience. And it can be a long haul. Even with years of experience we all are learning every day. And the most important thing I learned -- building nice models isn't a special skill you can't learn. It's mostly tricks and techniques you just haven't thought of! For example, I had several false starts back into modeling as an adult. First in my late 20s I bought a kit, some Testors paints and went at it. The results were the same as the models I built when I was 15 (which wasn't pretty!) because I was using that same skill set. The next time I decided to try modeling some ten years later, I joined a club and suddenly I had a group of experienced people guiding me to build better. Some of the things they taught me were things you slap your forehead over, but it's all part of the growth in the hobby.

First - What level are you beginning at? The best way to be overwhelmed is to bite off too much all at once...

Basic assembly- just build a kit without paint to follow the assembly steps (what glues do you have, what basic hand tools?)

Assemble with paint - spray can paint and brush paint on some parts and assemblies (what paints would you like to use? Do you use an airbrush?)

Advanced kit clean up, paint and assembly - still just building the kit from the box, but doing clean up of mold lines, ejector pin marks, etc on the kit prior to paint

Assembly with engine wiring, and additional detail -

Kit bashing (building a model using parts from several different kits)

Good luck and most important have fun!

Take the shrink wrap off the box. :D

Seriously, after you've removed the shrink wrap, lay all the parts out on the kitchen table, and read over the instructions. Find the parts called out in the instructions, look at how they go together, and familiarize yourself with the kit. See if the clear parts require painting, if you can attach bumpers before installing the chassis and that sort of thing. Position the tires into the body and visualize how the car will look. Get familiar with the kit.

Then throw the shrink wrap away.

Edited by SSNJim

I always paint my body first, then engine and chassis parts. Don't over think it. You will find your own system and order as you go along. I would start with a few simple kits...

This one can't be emphasized enough! Do what works best for you. The way I do things may not work for you and visa versa. A couple of suggestions regarding paint: for your spray paint, I strongly recommend Tamiya products. They spray very nicely and lay down smooth. Model Masters lacquers and Testors One Coat lacquers spray pretty well too. They require a clear gloss coat to have a good shine though. For your brush paints, definitely get acrylic in whatever brand you buy. I like any brand of acrylic paint. Brush marks almost disappear and the best part is that you can clean your brushes with water.