Model Cars Magazine Forum

Advent plastic scale models - what's the scoop?

I know next to nothing about the evolution of model car kit makers and brands over the past 40 years. I keep seeing Advent brand kits on eBay. What's the deal on this? Thanx in advance for any historical lore you can share.

Edited by Bernard Kron

The three kits pictured ('29 Ford pickup, two Buttera T kits) should have plated parts. I have the pickup and phaeton; mine have plating. I did have the Anglia and Thames kits; neither had plating (that tree was molded in silver plastic) or decals. My Porsche 911 also has one tree molded in silver. Advent was supposedly a sideline operation that allowed some Revell employees to increase their earnings. It operated only one year (1979 or 1980; I've got the lone catalog but can't remember the year). Quite a few Revell kits were offered, not just cars. Advent didn't get the best sellers ('53-'57 Chevies) or the newest tooling that was out under the Revell name at that time. I'm surprised the Buttera kits were offered by Advent; they were fairly new and were pretty decent sellers for Revell.

I remember my older brother getting and building an Advent version of the 57 Ranchero. That might have been the last version of that kit with the stock height roof before they butchered (rebutchered?) it by severely chopping the top, for the "Saints" version, I believe.

thanks jesse, so it doesn't have the chrome tree chromed? I guess in these days of alclad that's not a big deal...or if you want to make a blacked out race version.

heres something though: do these kits sell for more, less or about the same as the equivalent Revell kit? the few ive looked at (not 914, but Advent) on ebay actually seem to be going for more (eg: actual bids in place, not buy it now wishful thinking) than the Revell versions. That would be muy no bueno, I am looking for cheap!

jb

The sellers think the Advent kit is worth more because it's rarer than the Revell equivalent. To be fair, it is rarer, because the Advent version was only manufactured for one year (if that). The 914 kits seem to be tough to find in either package, so it's probably a matter of which one you find first at a price you are willing to pay.

Years ago, I bought the Advent Thames and Anglia kits because I couldn't find Revell issues at reasonable prices. Early issue kits had those plastic-eating vinyl tires, later issues had iffy plating. The Advent issues of those two kits had no plating at all. The late Herb Jackson had started doing plating for model kit parts around that time, so I cleaned all the flashing off of the silver trees and had them plated. They came out great! I later sold those kits; the plating made them a lot easier to sell. A couple years after selling them, the Anglia was reissued again.

Not long ago, I bought an Advent issue Porsche 911 because it didn't have the plating. Like the Thames and Anglia, I'll clean up the silver parts tree and have it plated.