Model Cars Magazine Forum

Moebius '54 Hudsons

Ditto....not an issue....more a optical illusion.

I did nothing but apply Dupli-color primer sealer, wet sand as ALWAYS and it's like any other kit.

That rougher finish might allow for better primer adhesion too.

This and this. A few mists of primer and some wet sanding and it's no longer an issue. And what's the first thing you do with one of those polished-plastic looking kit bodies? Sand it so the primer will adhere better.

I opened my 54 Hudson, here's what I noticed;

steering wheel & column are both on the chrome tree

"texture" was there, I took an old used 3200 grit pad to it, & it smoothed out some, I don't think it will be a problem.

there was a small dimple on the right side front of the roof, on the inside it is where the visor attaches, easy fix.

very detailed wire wheels, nice pad printed white wall tires (much better than some of the Revells)

I am impressed with Moebius attention to detail.

If you have a chance to get this kit...Buy IT !!!!!

dose anyone have nice pics of the interior for the Hudson Hornet Club coupe or were I can find any good ones can't seem to find any on google pics.Any two tone color pics is what i'm looking for. Thanks for any help.

Not a whole lot. At least not yet.

HUDSON%201954%20Hornet%20interior%2003.j

HUDSON%201954%20Hornet%20interior%2004.j

dose anyone have nice pics of the interior for the Hudson Hornet Club coupe or were I can find any good ones can't seem to find any on google pics.Any two tone color pics is what i'm looking for. Thanks for any help.

Jon Cole put up a couple of very good pics of '54 Hornet interiors. FWIW, I believe they were all two-toned, as in those.

Art

A few observations (sorry if I'm repeating anything here)-

I like the way the windshield fits in- it basically installs from the outside- there is a lip at the top you need to slip up into the roof first, but you don't need to push it through the opening, which greatly reduces messing up the foil on the surround. Also, big bonus points for the separate quarter glass and backlight- the one-piece backlight/quarter glass unit was one of the things I didn't like about the '52/3 kits.

The '54 includes the side-exit exhaust from the '52 NASCAR kits- not sure if that was intentional or not, but a nice little bonus. There's also a leftover '52/3 dash, as the '54 dash is on a separate sprue with the hood and fuel door.

The "Twin H Power" script on the deck lid stands out quite a bit more than on the '52/3 kits.

Since the chassis is carried over from the earlier kits, any tricks/techniques you've used to build/modify those kits are still valid here. Same goes for the engine. The wire wheels are one-piece, but they have to be among the nicest looking wire wheels I've seen in a plastic kit. About all they need to look really good is a dark wash on the spokes.

Hood fit is better- no need to sand around the outside edge so it isn't such a tight fit after paint.

Everything fits together nicely- it seems like Moebius tweaked a few of the mounting holes for better fit.

All in all, this would be a great one for one of those "24 hour" or weekend build projects. Between the good parts fit, and the fact that this kit is much easier to foil than the earlier Hornets, you can get a little instant gratification out of this one. I did one as a mild custom over the course of two days.

002_zps3niw4duu.jpg

I've assembled most of the engine and chassis on mine. The air pressure regulator on my compressor failed and screwed up the paint on the body, so it's stripping.

So far, EXCELLENT. I concur with Chuck- I think some minor adjustments were made to the previous issues- parts fit is much better than my '53.

The only real gripe I had was the finish of the plastic and there was a bit of heavy flash on the hood. Some of that eggshell-type finish, at least on my kit, is visible through a couple of pieces of chrome. I'm going to try stripping them, polish them out and re-shoot with Al-Clad to fix the issue.

Those couple of things aside- kit of the year to date.

Charlie Larkin

A few observations (sorry if I'm repeating anything here)-

I like the way the windshield fits in- it basically installs from the outside- there is a lip at the top you need to slip up into the roof first, but you don't need to push it through the opening, which greatly reduces messing up the foil on the surround. Also, big bonus points for the separate quarter glass and backlight- the one-piece backlight/quarter glass unit was one of the things I didn't like about the '52/3 kits.

The '54 includes the side-exit exhaust from the '52 NASCAR kits- not sure if that was intentional or not, but a nice little bonus. There's also a leftover '52/3 dash, as the '54 dash is on a separate sprue with the hood and fuel door.

The "Twin H Power" script on the deck lid stands out quite a bit more than on the '52/3 kits.

Since the chassis is carried over from the earlier kits, any tricks/techniques you've used to build/modify those kits are still valid here. Same goes for the engine. The wire wheels are one-piece, but they have to be among the nicest looking wire wheels I've seen in a plastic kit. About all they need to look really good is a dark wash on the spokes.

Hood fit is better- no need to sand around the outside edge so it isn't such a tight fit after paint.

Everything fits together nicely- it seems like Moebius tweaked a few of the mounting holes for better fit.

All in all, this would be a great one for one of those "24 hour" or weekend build projects. Between the good parts fit, and the fact that this kit is much easier to foil than the earlier Hornets, you can get a little instant gratification out of this one. I did one as a mild custom over the course of two days.

Chuck, that looks great.

It takes me longer than that to pick a color. :blink:

Some of that eggshell-type finish, at least on my kit, is visible through a couple of pieces of chrome. I'm going to try stripping them, polish them out and re-shoot with Al-Clad to fix the issue.

Well, that's not good! You shouldn't have to go to those lengths to fix a problem that should not exist in the first place.

Anyone else have this problem with their kit?

Again, I bring up the question about the lower body side chrome trim on the rear fender, on this model. The only build I've seen so far is Chuck Most's model above. And I don't see this trim piece on his model. Did he sand it off? Or the detail so soft and shallow it gets easily buried by paint?

Scott

Edited by unclescott58