Model Cars Magazine Forum

New Build Somewhat Restomoded 67 Shelby 3/10/16 Finished !

Metalmad

Well I ran into a road block trying to scratch build a cool air intake which resulted in about 5 hours of bending aluminum rod and plastic rod with no real good results since there is not much room under the hood to route the intake so it looks right. So after playing with some more ideas I think I have the problem licked now and I will post pictures when I have it assembled.

I finally was able to put in a little bench time on the Shelby's engine compartment which was attempting to scratch build a custom cool air intake which drove me a little nuts. I have most of it finished now but still needs the air filter fitted and mocked up on the end off the intake.

post-11522-0-64007200-1407648581_thumb.jpost-11522-0-88358800-1407648665_thumb.jpost-11522-0-22451600-1407648720_thumb.j

Fred I know the intake tube is a little small but if I had went any bigger I would have had major issues of the fitment under the hood but I like what I have come up with.I was able to get the rear section of the Shelby glued on this evening and it will need some sanding and filling to get the side panels to fit correctly to the rear section.

I would love to be able to get more progress on the Shelby but since my work area is in the garage and its summer so it gets pretty hot so the progress is slower than I would like on this build.

Fred I know the intake tube is a little small but if I had went any bigger I would have had major issues of the fitment under the hood but I like what I have come up with.I was able to get the rear section of the Shelby glued on this evening and it will need some sanding and filling to get the side panels to fit correctly to the rear section.

I would love to be able to get more progress on the Shelby but since my work area is in the garage and its summer so it gets pretty hot so the progress is slower than I would like on this build.

If you went any bigger on the cai it will not look to scale of the car. Looks good in the size you have.It being hot makes sense why have not seen you building. Hang in there...

Sorry no pictures yet but I do have a small update. Had to change the transmission on the Coyote engine since it was to wide to fit in the tranny tunnel so I removed the transmission only & left the bell housing. Next I will install a earlier style manual transmission which is not as wide or as tall to the Coyote bell housing. I also have started on the front spoiler which is installed but will have to add some styrene stock and filler to get the shape that I want.

Finally able to get a little bench time in so what your seeing is the start of adding a front spoiler and adding a little styrene to the rear to get the gaps filled a little so it looks more correct. I still need to work on shaping the rear and I still need to add some styrene to the front spoiler and some filler also. post-11522-0-72511400-1408593179_thumb.jpost-11522-0-29323800-1408593355_thumb.jpost-11522-0-68722000-1408593275_thumb.j

Tim depending on what room there is between the engine & motor mounts will determine what I'll install for the exhaust headers. I'm hoping to be able to install a pair of headers from my parts box and if the headers will not fit I will use the exhaust manifolds that came with the Coyote engine which I know will fit and for the rest of the exhaust I will scratch build out of styrene or aluminum tubing.

Seth, I am following this with great interest as I want to build a replica of my own Mustang later. We can hear you think while reading the posts. Am I correct in assumiong that all isn't decided ahead of time, that there is no fixed plan other than the principal mods and the rest is done as you go?

Pat

Most is done as I go while I'm building but I do have ideas of how I want the mods done and of course somethings do change while building since they don't always work out the way you want but over all I do know how I want this build to look.

Thanks for asking !

A little update on the Shelby which is that I have added some styrene to the front valance for the scratch built spoiler and also have applied some filler to start shaping it. Next will be another light coat of primer to see if there are any areas that need to be addressed before shooting the whole car in primer.post-11522-0-96344600-1409109946_thumb.jpost-11522-0-13985400-1409109989_thumb.jpost-11522-0-51080200-1409110047_thumb.jpost-11522-0-82111000-1409110106_thumb.j

Not much of an update since I have been having a little trouble getting the body smooth especially on the left upper front fender where the filler kept cracking but I think I have it licked now. I have filled all the front & rear gaps where the front & rear clips are glued to the body & i know on the front clip there should be a seam there but it just looks better to me with it smooth & no seam line.

Will get some pictures up soon !

Well I finally have the body in primer and nice and smooth ! I have shot the first coat of primer on the trunk lid and hood and they both will need some work to get them smooth and lined up with the body then I will install the hinge to the trunk which will be my first attempt at installing a hinge so until next time Keep On Building !

post-11522-0-35137900-1409805234_thumb.jpost-11522-0-20829800-1409805287_thumb.jpost-11522-0-83910800-1409805376_thumb.jpost-11522-0-67652400-1409805414_thumb.j