Forum will be Offline for Server Maintenance ×
Model Cars Magazine Forum

Our Make 'n Take event this past weekend

MegaHobby.com (where I work during the week) and AAA Hobbies in Magnolia, NJ (where I work on Saturdays) had a Make 'n Take event this past Saturday. We had snap model kits and other crafts and sceince kits as well. We had a great turnout and the weather was perfect. We were able to get some 2015 Mustangs in for the event and they were a huge hit. No one, kids or parents, had any problems with them. Revell has a winner on their hands with these, they're perfect for this type of event. I think we might have hooked a few new modelers, I know several families went straight from the event over to AAA and bought some more kits!

Read our blog post here: http://megahobbyblog.blogspot.com/2014/06/recap-hobbyfest-2014.html

The local newspapers did a couple articles, this one ran before the event, http://www.courierpostonline.com/story/life/2014/06/13/cool-things-find-barringtons-hobbyfest/10506145/

This one after: http://www.nj.com/camden/index.ssf/2014/06/hobbyfest_in_barrington_offers_fun_for_all_ages.html

DSC04853.JPG

DSC04973.JPG

That's me on the right, I thought I was leaning out of the shot. I didn't lean far enough!!!

DSC05026.JPG

Now tell the truth Brett, were you leaning out of the picture or letting one fly ? : )

Might have been a little bit of both!

Here's my 2015 Mustang, of course I couldn't leave well enough alone so I lowered mine to a better looking ride height. I think I'll take it home and do a little detail painting and maybe come up with some headlight decals. The one Bob Downie did for the new issue of Scale Auto looks amazing.

DSC_5185-vi.jpg

DSC_5186-vi.jpg

Here's the ride height out of the box, mine doesn't roll so smooth anymore, but it certainly looks better!

DSC_5187-vi.jpg

I can't say enough how impressed I am with this new simpler style of snap kit, everything that gave the kids problems with the other snap kits -- like interior door panels - every kid I worked with tried to put the darned things in with the detail facing out... or pressing the wheels onto the axles or screwing in the chassis screws -- has been eliminated, simplified, or already done in this new kit. You can give this to a kid and let them build it 100% on their own. Hopefully it leaves them wanting more and they'll go for a more advanced snap (or maybe even glue) kit next time.

Edited by Brett Barrow

Thanks for sharing, looks like a lot of happy faces.

My wife is teaching some classes at the local YMCA branch this summer and the most popular one is the "Build It!" class. I helped her with the outline for the class and it was inspired by her from watching me build models.

She asked her supervisor to contact Revell for the model kits and hopefully they will get those Mustangs and if there happens to be one left over.............................it could end up in my stash!

I think she will be doing the class in the fall as an afterschool program due to it's popularity. They build all kinds of stuff but the kids really like the models- who knew? I did speak with the local Hobbytown USA store and they said they would consider a discount for anyone who came in and mentioned the YMCA class.

Awesome.

In October, MassCar will be hosting a building event with Greater Boston Manor of Squires of the Round Table, which is like Cub Scouts for DeMolay. This is ages 9-12.

We have big hopes for this, the kids are interested, as is MassCar and the advisors.

Wonder if we could get a few of those 'Stangs?

Charlie Larkin

Of course you can, Charlie. Just beware ~ they're not free.

Make-N-Take events are great, but the kits aren't donated. The kits are sold to promoters or sponsors in a large case of 25 kits - 24 are bagged and 1 is in the retail packaging.

Regardless, it is a great way to introduce kids to model building. However, repeat events will draw repeat participants who are there for the free kits. I'm not sure some of them buy a kit in between Make-N-Takes.

It's still a lot of fun, and even if only a few kids get the bug, it's worth it!

We just used kits from our regular stock. Thanks to Revell we were able to get our new Mustang shipment in advance with the caveat that we didn't sell them until the end of the month when the kits go on sale to the general public. But giving them away was totally fine! Worked out that the kit was in country just in time for our event. It was a last minute idea I had a week or two back "I wish the new Mustang could be here in time..." The boss made a few calls, cashed in a few favors and we were able to get them in time.

Revell will be offering the 15 Mustang as part of the Make n Take program.

Brett,

The wife said they have the 34 Ford for their car build later this week and when I told her how easy the '15 Mustang went together for your group, she was disappointed she couldn't get those for this summer. She will definitely get some for the fall classes, and said the kids were showing off today the space shuttles they did build!

I suspect that Revell will have a new hot seller with those Mustangs and it should be interesting to see what they follow up with after that!

Brett,

The wife said they have the 34 Ford for their car build later this week and when I told her how easy the '15 Mustang went together for your group, she was disappointed she couldn't get those for this summer. She will definitely get some for the fall classes, and said the kids were showing off today the space shuttles they did build!

I suspect that Revell will have a new hot seller with those Mustangs and it should be interesting to see what they follow up with after that!

I sent Ed Sexton at Revell an email today letting him know how much of a hit the new Mustang was and he told me that they would be offering it in the Make 'n Take program, along with other new ones in this new super-simple Skill Level 1 line. They've announced an Audi R8 that should be out in a month or so.

The 34 Ford is one of my favorite kits. It's rare to find a snap kit that has building options and that one can be built full-fendered or highboy. You could drop me on a desert island with a case of those and a parts box full of various wheels and tires and I think I'd be just fine. I was just schputzing around with one on the coffee table as I read this. Wheels and tires from the brand-new Revell Sox & Martin 1970 'cuda. Think I'd need to go a tick smaller on the fronts...

DSC_5191-vi.jpg

Of course you can, Charlie. Just beware ~ they're not free.

Make-N-Take events are great, but the kits aren't donated. The kits are sold to promoters or sponsors in a large case of 25 kits - 24 are bagged and 1 is in the retail packaging.

Regardless, it is a great way to introduce kids to model building. However, repeat events will draw repeat participants who are there for the free kits. I'm not sure some of them buy a kit in between Make-N-Takes.

It's still a lot of fun, and even if only a few kids get the bug, it's worth it!

I'm well-aware of the cost, Dan. MassCar has done a make-and-take at our show for a long time, and we're coming up on re-stocking, so these might be a good way to go about it.

The Squires are looking forward to doing this, and we're looking forward to the event. I'm planning on doing an article for MCM, partialy to showcase MassCar's outreach to the youth, and partially to help promote Squires and DeMolay.

Charlie Larkin

I'm well-aware of the cost, Dan. MassCar has done a make-and-take at our show for a long time, and we're coming up on re-stocking, so these might be a good way to go about it.

The Squires are looking forward to doing this, and we're looking forward to the event. I'm planning on doing an article for MCM, partialy to showcase MassCar's outreach to the youth, and partially to help promote Squires and DeMolay.

Charlie Larkin

Just wanted to be certain. In my experience locally, I've encountered a few people who were eager to do make-n-take type builds for one group or another, even private birthday parties, and they assumed Revell just donated kits left and right.

The costs are really minimal and well worth the investment!!

I pickup most of the ones I donate to the group from Garage sales,second hand stores,and anonymously donated items since I do it all myself its the only way I can do this for them on my budget or lack of. There pretty much happy with anything I find for them but its apparent they like automotive stuff better. Its great to hear others trying to help others out...it only promotes this great hobby we all love in the end.