Model Cars Magazine Forum

North American Touring Car Series Honda Accord

S. Svendsen

Yes, there actually was a short lived North American Touring car series back in the '90's. It used cars very similar to Japanese and European Touring Cars that ran as an undercard to the Indy cars on road racing courses. My build is a fictional "what if" factory Honda effort for the series. You can see more pics and read all about it on my site at the link.

http://www.svensworldofwheels.com/accordpage.html

honda_accord_race_car.jpgtamiya_honda_jtcc_touring.jpghonda_accord_tuner_racing_N.jpg

I believe the series only ran two years. Chrysler had the only real US factory effort with their two car Dodge Stratus team. Other cars run were the BWM 3 series, Mazda Enous, and Ford Mondeo which were all imported from other countries.

I saw the cars run at Mid-Ohio in '95 and I thought they were pretty neat. It's a shame they didn't catch on.

Edited by S. Svendsen

Awesome Accord and your Pics are delicios. Very very nice color and decals! Great car Sven.

A point i am missing....a color to the turnsignallights on the fenders ;)

I sorta missed that detail when I built the car. American Accords don't have signal lights there and I didn't know what the little lump was. Guess I could still paint it.

I sorta missed that detail when I built the car. American Accords don't have signal lights there and I didn't know what the little lump was. Guess I could still paint it.

Some U.S. spec versions of foreign cars have body-colored "plugs" in those spaces. You could pretend that's what it is.

I believe the series only ran two years. Chrysler had the only real US factory effort with their two car Dodge Stratus team. Other cars run were the BWM 3 series, Mazda Enous, and Ford Mondeo which were all imported from other countries.

I saw the cars run at Mid-Ohio in '95 and I thought they were pretty neat. It's a shame they didn't catch on.

There were a few Accords as well, both the Euro and US/Japanese spec.

The idea was neat, but there were too few entries (around 10 cars each race), and only the Stratus and the Accord were competitive.

Probably not the best idea to tack them on as CART's sideshow either. It would have been much better if it was run by, say, SCCA as a separate series. Which really is a shame because the European and Japanese series provided some very good racing.

There were a few Accords as well, both the Euro and US/Japanese spec.

The idea was neat, but there were too few entries (around 10 cars each race), and only the Stratus and the Accord were competitive.

Probably not the best idea to tack them on as CART's sideshow either. It would have been much better if it was run by, say, SCCA as a separate series. Which really is a shame because the European and Japanese series provided some very good racing.

It could probably have been something in North America if the BTCC supertouring wasn't slaughtered by Alfa Romeo's entrance. Alfa came with a car full of aerodynamic enhancements. All homologated and thereby legal in the class. This of course making the Alfa's superior, the other teams had to match the Aero and the prices of producing the cars rose from a couple of thousands per season to many thousands per race. Killing off team after team. Edited by fitforbattle