Model Cars Magazine Forum

Revell 2013 Mustang Boss 302 - School Bus Yellow - Update - Gaps Fixed

RandyB.

Okay, after receiving a couple of comments regarding the gaps in the front and rear fascia where they meet the body I decided to fix the problem. Using 5 minute epoxy thinned out with isopropyl alcohol and very carefully applying it with a pin in the deep seams but not too much as to fill the gap completely I then gently dabbed some body color into the gap. I like it much better. Here are three updated pics.

Revell2013FordMustangBoss302a_zps7436d2e

Revell2013FordMustangBoss302b_zpsee974c1

Revell2013FordMustangBoss302e_zpsab806b9

Edited by RandyB.

You're a brave man, Randy! I try not to even look at my finished models, for fear of messing something up. But obviously, it paid off. The whole car looks stellar! ;)

Thanks SFD. I generally don't like messing with a finished model but this was bugging me and I had to get it right.

A great build up of this model. Details under the hood look awesome. A few questions if you don't mind ...

Do you have any chassis pics?

Did you adjust the ride height?

How did you do the lettering on the intake plenum?

School bus yellow looks great. I think I will try one in Gotta Have It Green.

Thanks Bill and Michel for the kind words. Bill I don't have a chassis pic at the moment. Yes, ride height was adjusted because these modern Revell Mustangs tend to sit too high and unrealistic so when I build one I automatically adjust it. The "Boss 302" script on the plenum is a decal although it would be easy to paint. The stripes on the plenum were painted.

Thanks Bill and Michel for the kind words. Bill I don't have a chassis pic at the moment. Yes, ride height was adjusted because these modern Revell Mustangs tend to sit too high and unrealistic so when I build one I automatically adjust it. The "Boss 302" script on the plenum is a decal although it would be easy to paint. The stripes on the plenum were painted.

Thanks Randy for your reply. I have never adjusted the ride height before. I will have to give it a try for my built.

That turned out great. As you can see, every car and color is different. On my own car the gaps are pretty black.

You're comparing a full size car with a model! Now take that seam and make it 25 times smaller and what do you get? A seam that should be barely visible on a 1/25 scale model... which is what Randy's model now (correctly) has. Look at his "before" and "after" versions and you'll see how much more realistic the model looks with those huge black canyons gone. The seams are still there, still visible... but look much more "in scale" and realistic. The "toylike" look is gone. A huge improvement.

Great looking Boss 302! :)

I definitely want to get this kit at some point.

What paint specifically did you use for the body color?

My friend has a white Boss 302 that I went for a ride in a few weeks ago. He has an engine tune and headers currently. The car is putting out about 440HP to the wheels...an amazing car. We got in a little race with a new Camaro SS, and all I can say is the Camaro SS seemed a bit slow. ;)

One of the best looking Mustangs and this color just makes it pop! I mean like POP! A really loud one! Joking aside, it's a very nice build and very clean at that. Love the tail lights look like the real thing.

Great looking Boss 302! :)

I definitely want to get this kit at some point.

What paint specifically did you use for the body color?

My friend has a white Boss 302 that I went for a ride in a few weeks ago. He has an engine tune and headers currently. The car is putting out about 440HP to the wheels...an amazing car. We got in a little race with a new Camaro SS, and all I can say is the Camaro SS seemed a bit slow. ;)

Thanks guys for all of your input on this build. Harry thanks for bringing the gap situation to my attention. I never really gave it a second thought until you had mentioned it in a previous reply. I consider myself a perfectionist so little things like gaps and inaccuracies really bug me.

Dave here is a pic of the paint I used. I bought it at Carquest auto parts up here in Canada. Not sure if you have Carquest outlets in the U.S. I used Dupli-Color gray primer with this paint. Tamiya primer would not work as I tested it on several pieces of styrene with different primers before painting the body. Even though it is an enamel you will still need the primer or it will attack the styrene.

Pictures2045_zps88a76d93.jpg

Pictures1998_zpsb62f58fd.jpg

Edited by RandyB.

• 5 months later...

i have this model. i am ALMOST done, and its been HELL.

what the HELL is up with this front bumper? it does NOT align right. finally after hacking pieces of plastic off, and gluing it and holding it together with my hands for 30 minutes i FINALLY got it to look half way decent.

now, im about to put the shell on the car..ok cool, its going over the chassis and interior just fine..and now to do the final clip-ins..and guess what? it doesnt stay down. i cant get the shell to latch onto the chassis.the back is just fine. but the front just doesnt want to pop in. i do not understand whats causing the problem. this is infuriating. i guess ill just stick with a model that will just fall apart as soon as i pick it up. maybe ill tell people it has a "lift kit" on it.

i have this model. i am ALMOST done, and its been HELL.

what the HELL is up with this front bumper? it does NOT align right. finally after hacking pieces of plastic off, and gluing it and holding it together with my hands for 30 minutes i FINALLY got it to look half way decent.

now, im about to put the shell on the car..ok cool, its going over the chassis and interior just fine..and now to do the final clip-ins..and guess what? it doesnt stay down. i cant get the shell to latch onto the chassis.the back is just fine. but the front just doesnt want to pop in. i do not understand whats causing the problem. this is infuriating. i guess ill just stick with a model that will just fall apart as soon as i pick it up. maybe ill tell people it has a "lift kit" on it.

I had encountered a few fit issues as well. More so with the hood not fitting flush with the front edge of the body. Had to dremel some plastic away from the front

in behind the grille in order to achieve a flush fitting hood. Can't remember the details now since it was back in July that I built this kit. I know it's frustrating but keep at it, you eventually get it right.