Model Cars Magazine Forum

Letterman -- dog plays dead

sjordan2

Ok, that was pretty funny... but never was a fan, I preferred Jay any day. Couldn't care less about Letterman retiring, it's Jay that I miss.

I have to agree, I went to the Tonight Show in 03 and 06 while in town for the Supercross. The show is recorded at 4:30 direct to tape to be broadcast later in all markets. It was worth the waiting in line and the whiplash received after being rear ended on the freeway on the way to the studio. Nobody will replace Carson, but he did a pretty good job.

Ok, that was pretty funny... but never was a fan, I preferred Jay any day. Couldn't care less about Letterman retiring, it's Jay that I miss.

I am the opposite. I love Letterman but can't take Leno's show. I liked him when he subbed for Johnny Carson but after he got his own show I watched a bit but I really didn't care for it. Love his website - Leno's Garage! Who doesn't?

I agree. Leno was no Carson, but no one was/is. Leno, however, is the pro.

Stupid Pet Tricks is a classic example. Letterman's show always was, still is, and always will be sophomoric. That's all he is, IMHO.

Edited by Danno

Letterman's show always was, still is, and always will be sophomoric. That's all he is, IMHO.

And snarky. His "humor" reminds me of kids calling each other names on the playground... pretty lame. I actually watch Letterman every now and then, but only if he has a guest I want to see. And only after I recorded the show so I can fast forward through his inane monologue and various other nonsense before the first guest actually comes on. Like his "Top Ten" list, one of the most consistently non-funny bits of "comedy" I've seen. I would never watch for Letterman himself... his style of "comedy" doesn't appeal to me. Maybe if I was 15 it would seem funny, but...

On the other hand, I think Jimmy Fallon is ok on the new Tonight Show. He tries a bit too hard, he laughs too much at stuff that isn't funny, he fawns over his guests a little too much... he needs to take the "youthful enthusiasm" down a notch or two and not try so hard to be his guests' best friend... but he's definitely talented, and he does a killer Neil Young impression! :D

And snarky. His "humor" reminds me of kids calling each other names on the playground... pretty lame. I actually watch Letterman every now and then, but only if he has a guest I want to see. And only after I recorded the show so I can fast forward through his inane monologue and various other nonsense before the first guest actually comes on. Like his "Top Ten" list, one of the most consistently non-funny bits of "comedy" I've seen. I would never watch for Letterman himself... his style of "comedy" doesn't appeal to me. Maybe if I was 15 it would seem funny, but...

On the other hand, I think Jimmy Fallon is ok on the new Tonight Show. He tries a bit too hard, he laughs too much at stuff that isn't funny, he fawns over his guests a little too much... he needs to take the "youthful enthusiasm" down a notch or two and not try so hard to be his guests' best friend... but he's definitely talented, and he does a killer Neil Young impression! :D

I liked Leno and still miss his show. He went out number one in ratings. Fallon, needs some experience and he should be ok....

Agree on Fallon. So far he acts like he can't believe he gets to hang out with real celebrities.

Exactly. He can't be all star-struck all the time, he needs to lose the "my God, I can't believe how lucky I am" thing and just be cool. I think that'll come with time. He still seems to be in the "pinch me, I must be dreaming" phase... ^_^

Fallon has been doing this for years on the Late Show after Leno. He's pretty much doing the same thing he always has, and is used to having plenty of A-List celebrities. I think he's amazingly talented.

I might add that I just posted this because I thought it was extremely funny and that you guys would like it, no appreciation one way or another about Letterman, and I have no idea why your opinion of the host should enter into it. I never dreamed that it would turn into a diatribe on the pros and cons of late-show hosts. Sheesh.

Edited by sjordan2

Forgive me, Skip, for not reacting properly.

Actually, you are right, it is a funny bit - the dog. :P

I would never have seen it had you not posted it. Too bad his 'big break' was on Letterman's program.

And, forgive me for participating in something that has taken place with virtually every thread ever posted since the invention of the internet - - veering a little off topic. -_-

Edited by Danno

I might add that I just posted this because I thought it was extremely funny and that you guys would like it, no appreciation one way or another about Letterman, and I have no idea why your opinion of the host should enter into it. I never dreamed that it would turn into a diatribe on the pros and cons of late-show hosts. Sheesh.

I think it's a pretty safe bet that posting a topic on an online discussion board always has a certain probability of sliding off-topic... especially one in the OFF TOPIC area! :lol:

Not exactly a surprise... ;)

So...that's off the topic of the off-topic post. Let's talk about Joan Rivers walking out of her interview with host Fredericka Whitfield on CNN, followed up by Letterman and other TV talk shows, and this post will be off the topic of the off-the-topic off-topic post.

How many times can you go off topic before you wind up back on topic? You know, like if you make four right turns you wind up back where you started! :D

BTW... I saw Joan Rivers on Letterman the other day. She was hilarious. She's not really my cup of tea... but I hafta say she was funny on that show. And yes, I DVR'd Letterman specifically to be able to fly past all of Letterman's schtick and just get to see her. :D

How on earth did we ever manage to watch TV without a DVR (or VCR before that)? :lol:

Oh Skip.... almost forgot. Since you "enjoyed" our critiques of the Letterman show, let me add that I can't stand Paul Schaeffer or Schafer or however you spell it. He is the epitome of "smarmy." :lol:

Trust a moderator to bring everything back to an acceptable level of civility.

Trust a moderator to bring everything back to an acceptable level of civility.

Was it ever anything else? I didn't notice. :mellow:

There hasn't been a REALLY good late night show band since Doc Severinson and The Tonight Show Band.