Model Cars Magazine Forum

AMT Modified Stockers

Boy the difference in effort is dramatic. The '65 Chevelle Decals are a tired re-pop of the originals, and not worth buying the kit for. The Two new sets! Wow!  Hats off to Round2 for taking the time to update the kits with all new decals, and not phoning it in. I might be tempted to get those kits......

11 hours ago, alexis said:

Boy the difference in effort is dramatic. The '65 Chevelle Decals are a tired re-pop of the originals, and not worth buying the kit for.

I was thinking just the opposite. Spray painted and duct tape style numerals? Eiww. The personalized name decals would never be used, but those vintage style AC cat decals? Yes. The red numerals are very similar to what AMT used on the '37 Chevy Salt Shaker kit, too, so while maybe not all-new, it does tie together with the past and pulls at those nostalgic heart strings for some: 

amt-salt-shaker-37-chevy-bonneville_1_92

8 hours ago, alexis said:

I just like the Fresh Thinking and new approach that the new decals Display.

All good. There are plenty of options to satisfy almost everyone. ☺️

Now, when are those Falcon and '66 Buick Mod Stocker reissues coming...

0D671A39-3C22-4241-B672-9BAD77FE9725.jpeg.03da399e2d02b8798ac75e49a897530e.jpeg

I enjoyed the comments about this series and Tim’s assessment that if these tools weren’t given this last ride, they would’ve ridden the scrap truck along with the pickup tooling!

I do own at least one copy of each that has been reissued, but my experience has been mainly with the Falcon.  It’s crude, pretty much an old annual with one piece chassis. The kit interior is omitted and what there is of the interior builds directly onto the chassis. The tires are poor, like four huge treadless slicks, but I do like the kit wheels. 

And I started an idea for a simple build.. I’d take a sad old 63 Valiant body I owned and simply transplant the Falcon’s innards under it. Yea, that’s the plan! HA! As usual we went down the road to overcomplicated!  

In the end the Valiant indeed got built but it’s more inspired by the Falcon than of the Falcon.  I couldn’t bring myself to use much of it. I cut down the roll cage quite a bit to fit and used the wheels, but most of what I used came from AMT’s later 71 Duster. 

Later, I thought I’d build the Falcon out of the box for the 24 Hour Build since I had several of them. Again, mid build I couldn’t commit to that hokey one piece chassis and swapped in the detailed Revell 66 Mustang Shelby chassis and suspension.  Again I used the kit wheels, but found better tires in my squirrel stock.

In the end I will do another Modified Stocker or two to add to this line up. And no doubt I’ll mix and match parts to my liking to achieve results that will make me happy. I’m glad to see the series appearing again, which insures the tooling is earning its keep, as they are an interesting part of modeling history.

Edited by Tom Geiger

13 hours ago, slusher said:

I was hoping the 70 or 72 Monte Carlo would get reissued, would like another chance to build 8it...

You can still find the new tool AMT '70 Monte Carlo for very reasonable, if not original MSRP, prices.  So, that's an easy one to acquire if you want one.

The '72 Monte Carlo will be harder since that one was converted to the Bobby Allison stock car.  I suggested on another forum for Round 2 to restore the tooling back to a stock '72 Monte Carlo again.  Unfortunately, I was shot down in mid flight by a Nascar modeling fan. 

They could restore it back to stock configuration and still offer the Nascar parts to make the Bobby Allison stock car version if they wanted. It's much easier to hack up and radius the stock semi-eliptical rectangular front wheelwell shape than it is to create the stock shape from the already chopped up front wheel wells of the Allison car. 

In fact, this would be a much easier restoration for Round 2 than the '72 Grand Prix.  They could do the '72 Monte Carlo first and see how well the ROI and then proceed to the '72 Grand Prix if profits are good.  Of course, some people will mention how much better the full detail new tool '70 Monte Carlo is compared to the old promo based Allison car.  However, I will argue having both the new tool '70 and the old promo/annual based '72 would be a great idea.  The '72 has a slightly different front grill/header panel and has molded in rear fender skirts which would differentiate it from the new tool '70 Monte Carlo.  Also, it's much easier to build due to its promo based origins so they could cater this kit to the youth market by offering a simple easy to build classic muscle car.

Before anyone helicopters in and tries to complain about how much of a great loss it would be to lose the "Holy Grail"  Bobby Allison stock car.  Well, Round 2 could offer that building version as well.  The builder would just have to hack open the front wheel well shape to a radius again.  This is not beyond the capability of most hard core stock car/race car builders these days.  It's win/win for both markets.

Edited by the other Mike S.

5 hours ago, the other Mike S. said:

You can still find the new tool AMT '70 Monte Carlo

I think Carl might've meant the MPC Monte Carlo Super Stocker kit? Not sure, but they are very similar to AMT's Modified Stocker series kits....maybe we need a unique topic for the MPC Super Stocker kits:

MPCMCSS.jpg.b5f35554c2709ce7b54d98a11de4138a.jpg

Edited by Casey

6 minutes ago, Casey said:

I think Carl might've meant the MPC Monte Carlo Super Stocker kit? Not sure, but they are very similar to AMT's Modified Stocker series kits....maybe we need a unique topic for the MPC Super Stocker kits:

MPCMCSS.jpg.b5f35554c2709ce7b54d98a11de4138a.jpg

That's probably the Bobby Allison car with the psuedo '70 grill on it.  AFAIK, there are only two tools of that generation Monte Carlo.  New tool '70 that came out in the '90's(?) and the old promo/annual tool which is currently the '72 Bobby Allison stock car. 

Nope, there are three: the newer stock '70, the old AMT '70-'72 which is now the Allison stock car, and the MPC '72 promo body which was converted to a NASCAR body in '73, then altered into the dirt track body pictured above.  MPC (a competitor to AMT in 1972) never offered an early Monte Carlo as a kit with a showroom stock version.  But they did make the '72 promotional model.

2 hours ago, Mark said:

Nope, there are three: the newer stock '70, the old AMT '70-'72 which is now the Allison stock car, and the MPC '72 promo body which was converted to a NASCAR body in '73, then altered into the dirt track body pictured above.  MPC (a competitor to AMT in 1972) never offered an early Monte Carlo as a kit with a showroom stock version.  But they did make the '72 promotional model.

Mark, MPC never made a first generation Monte Carlo not even a promo.  It was exclusively AMT from '70-'72. 

The promo/annual were updated through '72.  Only a dealer promo and annual kit were offered.  In '70 only, a special. "Motor Series" version was made which was the unassembled promo molded in white.  In '71 and '72,  the promo and annual were offered.

Sometime afterwards, the tooling was converted into the '71-'72 stock car we see today.  Since the grill was modified for the stock car kit, they fudged it to represent the '71-'72 stock car version.  That way, they could do both those years.   The tooling sat in storage until Model King brought it out as the '71-'72 stock car kit that was pictured above.  When Round 2 came into the picture, they reissued it again as the '72 Bobby Allison stock car.

The new tool was released sometime in the '90's as the '70 Monte Carlo SS.  This version had full detail including a separate frame chassis, floor pan and no rear fender skirts.  The original promo based annual (the stock car kit) had rear fender skirts.  The current Allison stock car kit has remnants of the original rear fender skirts on them.

Sorry, only two tools.  The new tool '70 and the old promo/annual based '72 Bobby Allison stock car.

Edited by the other Mike S.

5 hours ago, Casey said:

That is the kit I was talking about ,Casey thanks..

7 hours ago, the other Mike S. said:

Mark, MPC never made a first generation Monte Carlo not even a promo.  It was exclusively AMT from '70-'72. 

The promo/annual were updated through '72.  Only a dealer promo and annual kit were offered.  In '70 only, a special. "Motor Series" version was made which was the unassembled promo molded in white.  In '71 and '72,  the promo and annual were offered.

Sometime afterwards, the tooling was converted into the '71-'72 stock car we see today.  Since the grill was modified for the stock car kit, they fudged it to represent the '71-'72 stock car version.  That way, they could do both those years.   The tooling sat in storage until Model King brought it out as the '71-'72 stock car kit that was pictured above.  When Round 2 came into the picture, they reissued it again as the '72 Bobby Allison stock car.

The new tool was released sometime in the '90's as the '70 Monte Carlo SS.  This version had full detail including a separate frame chassis, floor pan and no rear fender skirts.  The original promo based annual (the stock car kit) had rear fender skirts.  The current Allison stock car kit has remnants of the original rear fender skirts on them.

Sorry, only two tools.  The new tool '70 and the old promo/annual based '72 Bobby Allison stock car.

Nope, there were three.  The '72 promo was MPC, check the tires and wheels next time you see a '72.

MPC and AMT (then competitors) both sold NASCAR Monte Carlo kits in 1973.  MPC's was the CooCoo Marlin car, their kit had the fits-all two-piece chassis.  AMT's was/is the Bobby Allison car.  Two totally different kits from competing companies.  The MPC NASCAR kit body was then converted to the dirt track car.  Anyone who disagrees is invited to explain how Round 2 can still issue both the NASCAR and dirt track kits...

2 hours ago, Mark said:

Nope, there were three.  The '72 promo was MPC, check the tires and wheels next time you see a '72.

MPC and AMT (then competitors) both sold NASCAR Monte Carlo kits in 1973.  MPC's was the CooCoo Marlin car, their kit had the fits-all two-piece chassis.  AMT's was/is the Bobby Allison car.  Two totally different kits from competing companies.  The MPC NASCAR kit body was then converted to the dirt track car.  Anyone who disagrees is invited to explain how Round 2 can still issue both the NASCAR and dirt track kits...

Okay, let me get this straight..... 

AMT '70-'72 annual.  AMT '70-'71 promo.  MPC '72 promo....was there an annual kit offered that year by MPC as well?

MPC '72 converted to the CooCoo Marlin car and then the dirt track racer.

AMT '71 converted to the Bobby Allison car and stayed that way.

AMT '70 SS (new tool) various reissues through the late '90's early to mid '00's.  Stock version only.   

AMT, MPC and new tool AMT.

1 hour ago, the other Mike S. said:

Okay, let me get this straight..... 

AMT '70-'72 annual.  AMT '70-'71 promo.  MPC '72 promo....was there an annual kit offered that year by MPC as well?

MPC '72 converted to the CooCoo Marlin car and then the dirt track racer.

AMT '71 converted to the Bobby Allison car and stayed that way.

AMT '70 SS (new tool) various reissues through the late '90's early to mid '00's.  Stock version only.   

AMT, MPC and new tool AMT.

That's it.  No MPC showroom stock kit for '72.

• Thanks 1

• 9 months later...

So, any guesses on which Mod Stock kit will come out in 2022?

My money is on the Buick or the '64 Ford, although the Olds could be out too.  

I really like what Round2 has done with these kits, and the '65 Ford was a Goldmine of extra parts. Just open up all the sprues on any other kit. The Buick still has a cool Weber Carb option hiding in the kit, and who knows what might still be in the others.

3 hours ago, alexis said:

I really like what Round2 has done with these kits, and the '65 Ford was a Goldmine of extra parts. Just open up all the sprues on any other kit. The Buick still has a cool Weber Carb option hiding in the kit, and who knows what might still be in the others.

I was hopeful that the 70-72 Monte Carlo stocker would have been reissued..

On 10/1/2021 at 6:06 PM, alexis said:

I like them for the extra parts too.

If Round2 re-pops the AMT '65 Olds Modified Stocker, I hope that they open more sprues to complete the blower parts and the stock Starfire wheel covers. (I so want those!)

251501965OldsDynamic88Htp1and3-vi.jpg

1964-65 Oldsmobile Starfire wheel.jpg

Edited by blizzy63