Forum will be Offline for Server Maintenance ×
Model Cars Magazine Forum

Revell 2014 Corvette Stingray

I'm a little suspicious of the Starsky & Hutch Torino . . . they're re-issuing the '70 Torino a couple of months before the indicated release date for the S&H Torino.

That suggests it will be a '70 with the S&H stripes on a decal sheet.

How so? 70 and 74-76 are totally different cars. And why do a 70 reissue with and without the stripes two months apart if that is the case? Just do the one with. I don't see how Starsky stripes would fit on the 70 fastback roofline anyway...

How so? 70 and 74-76 are totally different cars. And why do a 70 reissue with and without the stripes two months apart if that is the case? Just do the one with. I don't see how Starsky stripes would fit on the 70 fastback roofline anyway...

I don't think Revell is quite that incompetent...I would hope even they realize that the S&H is a different car.

Edited by Rob Hall

Danno, I say Nay nay. I can't say anything more but to wait and you will be pleasantly surprised.

Well, Scott, if you are truly in the know, you are right: I'll be pleasantly surprised. I would just hate to think of them taking an all-too-common shortcut by pushing a re-issued '70 kit out the door with the S&H graphics.

Hope you're right!

I know they are totally different body styles. And, I agree about accurate S&H stripes not fitting the '70 roofline.

My comment was that I fear it might be another half-baked end-around to get a product on the shelves with existing tooling. There's been no suggestion of a new-tool '74-75-76 Torino, and the re-issuance of the stock '70 shortly before the S&H seemed suspiciously like over-utilization of existing stock.

I'll be very glad to see a new-tool '74/5/6 Torino.

I don't think Revell is quite that incompetent...I would hope even they realize that the S&H is a different car.

Really? After the thrashing and trashing Revell got over the Mustang? According to a lot of posters, that was as incompetent as any kit manufacturer gets.

Really? After the thrashing and trashing Revell got over the Mustang? According to a lot of posters, that was as incompetent as any kit manufacturer gets.

It was pretty bad, but getting the model year and generation of a subject wrong --especially a well known TV/movie vehicle--would be even worse than that. I just hope that they get the '74-76 Torino body done accurately.

Edited by Rob Hall

I know they are totally different body styles. And, I agree about accurate S&H stripes not fitting the '70 roofline.

My comment was that I fear it might be another half-baked end-around to get a product on the shelves with existing tooling. There's been no suggestion of a new-tool '74-75-76 Torino, and the re-issuance of the stock '70 shortly before the S&H seemed suspiciously like over-utilization of existing stock.

I'll be very glad to see a new-tool '74/5/6 Torino.

There's been no suggestion that it is a half-baked end-around, either. When's the last time anybody tried that? AMT's Red Alert Chevelle? All the years the General Lee had the Charger 500 back glass? Some carry-over Deuce parts in the Rat Roaster? Those are end-arounds, but this is a whole generation different vehicle we're talking about here.

I don't know if the Kit That Must Not Be Named really plumbs such hyperbolic extremes of criticism as described - The Monkees half-AeroFox convertible certainly managed to be worse. Come to think of it, Fox Mustangs just haven't fared well with Revell/Monogram overall.

But even as someone who tends to be blunt about these things, I have to point out there's been nothing lately from Revell/Monogram so egregious as to indicate they're going to try putting a '70 Torino in striped tomato drag.

Looking at the tea leaves, seeing both Revell and Moebius are playing previews closer to the chest, I halfway wonder if the game might not be getting quietly stepped up here, in fact...

Edited by Chuck Kourouklis

well doubters what say ye now...nobody guessed that maybe just maybe the S&H Torino was done because of a request from a take no for an answer kinda of guy, you guys do understand they take request rite. my advice is if you really want something ask and dont give up until you get it..Revell wants to give the builders what they want send them some ideas trust me they wanna hear from us :) Thank You to all the great people at Revell for making it happen..special Thanks to Ed Sexton..I was in his ear for a couple years.. ;)

• 2 months later...

Of the new Stingray specifically, was showing as a Sept release, but sadly not available for delivery yet still until says December?

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXERMB&P=ML

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXERMK&P=ML

There is available the die-cast Maisto version

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXDLPU&P=ML