Model Cars Magazine Forum

Model Building Stereotypes

shipguy1-vi.jpg

An old photo I had saved, probably since the 1980s... this was in an ad for some software solution that would save you time. The first photo showed the same guy, with the same time on the clock, sitting frustrated in his office. The second shot (above) shows him happily working on a ship model with his son... probably until his wife notices that they're working on the bare dining room table! :lol:

It's always unfortunate when people get stereotyped because of their interests, but the truth is that stereotypes exist because, in a lot of cases, they ring true.

We've all known, I'm sure, the A student, or engineer, or model builder, StarTrek fan, gamer...whatever...who may be somewhat lacking in conventional social skills, fashion sense, or may be a little behind the curve in personal hygiene.

Because people so often tend to focus on the negative, the negative personality aspects evinced by some members of a particular group take on a life of their own, and become the popular defining characteristic of the group, rather than the actual focus of the group defining it. Sad, but true.

For me, being single, since I've aged to the point where I couldn't get a date if I had a $100 bill tied around my neck (or is that a pork chop? I never seem to be able to remember), I'm glad to have model building as a fall-back replacement for a once-active social life. I'm also glad that my limited club involvement lets me interact, in person, with other folks who share some of my interests.

For me, being single, since I've aged to the point where I couldn't get a date if I had a $100 bill tied around my neck (or is that a pork chop? I never seem to be able to remember)

I think it would be pretty easy to get a date with a $100 bill... if you went to certain areas! :rolleyes:

I do believe that the pork chop went out of fashion a long time ago!

i started building when i was about 10 and have been off and on several times when i started we would cut grass and go to town for a new model. back then we wished that the grass grew faster lot like today. any way i never cared what people thought i enjoyed cars and would build as many as i could. later on i learned the word r/c and still like cars wow build something that runs how cool was that. i spent twenty years playing with what i liked cars and trucks and after about 2 years of cars i discovered tractor pulling and then i went wild i can't begin how much money i spent on tucks and the cost of going to meets during that time i still buit models of and on and my wife liked that cause it kept me out of trouble. then one day i decided to go to a model swap and show i met so many nice people and then the pulling slacked off for me i kind of got bored and the models were a lot cheaper than r/c trucks. not to long after that the r/c stuff went on ebay and the models started to add up and now at 55 i am disabled and have lots of time to build usually 2-4 hours everyday that i can i call it my sanity in a box. now i still don't care what anybody thinks some of them think i'm nuts when they come into my hobby room and if they don't like what i do don't come back

vince

I had an encounter with a Numpty!

My wife and I were sitting at the bar in our favorite pub the other evening and a guy about our age engaged us in conversation. Not an unusual thing, this pub is like Cheers. That's why we go there, the bar tenders see us coming and our favorite beer just shows up when we sit down.

We are talking with this guy and somehow hobbies comes up. My wife tells him I'm a model car builder and this guy just screws up his face and says, "What? You play with toys?" and I replied, "Oh yes I do!" End of conversation. I'm not telling anyone where the body is buried.

anyone that uses the "What? You play with toys?" line on me gets this response: "No, I create 3D sculptures out of plastic, metal and various other materials and paints...and they usually end up looking like cars. Now tell me, is there anything YOU can make without step by step instructions and somebody to walk you through each step so you don't screw it up?"

I usually listen to their response to see if they are worth talking to at all.

Edited by blunc

I really do not understand what is the problem there..... You love model building go ahead.... you are disturbing nobody, you are annoying nobody, and therefore you do not have to care about what anybody else is thinking. The only negative point I see about model building in genreal (not only car), it is exteremly individual and time consuming. You spend hours and hours locked with your parts and tools, which may turn you to an authist at the end.

When I returned to model building several years ago I was nervous about being seen buying a model. Later I joined the local model club and realized there are others with my same interest and not all of them are nerdy types. Our club president is an active duty reservist and another member looks like he could put a serious hurting on Vin Diesel.

Since I work in a hoddy shop I see all types of people come in to buy models. I have yet to talk to anyone that outright calls them childish. There are non-modelers that are curious so I try my best to explain that what people build is three dimensional artwork.

I'm surprised no one mentioned the Two And A Half Men episode where John Cryer is back into building models. Yes they portrayed him as a nerd but they do every episode.

One more thing I build model railroads as well as dollhouses. If you want to really be embarrassed by your hobby try being a single guy walking into a dollhouse show alone.

ok, here goes.....

- all my friends (and others) know I build models.

- I make engine and tire squealing sounds when mocking up a build.

- my 12 year old and I race each other to the hot wheels and models in Wal-Mart.

- I carry my box of model stuff thru a crowded library with pride.

- I have one several air guitar contests

- I play the air drums in my car at red lights

- my sons and I have sword fights with the putters at putt-putt

- I, not my boys, am the one who gets warned about "bumping" in the go-carts.

- I am the first to volunteer if someone wants somebody to go on stage for something stupid.

when I do this stuff, as people look at me with that "just grow-up" look, I feel bad for them as they are sitting, wondering when their kids are going to be done entertaining themselves so they can go home. most of these kinds of people don't really know how to have fun. it's a sad state of affairs when everything you see and hear what's your kids to be older than they are and totally skip their childhood. I am almost 55 and am still in my childhood (sorry Jan, my beautiful wife of 28+, she has put up with a lot). as long as you are not hurting anyone, do what makes you happy.

- still looking to partake in a flash mob dance.... maybe at one of the NNL's? ..... anyone?

Edited by tubbs

ok, here goes.....

- all my friends (and others) know I build models.

- I make engine and tire squealing sounds when mocking up a build.

- my 12 year old and I race each other to the hot wheels and models in Wal-Mart.

- I carry my box of model stuff thru a crowded library with pride.

- I have one several air guitar contests

- I play the air drums in my car at red lights

- my sons and I have sword fights with the putters at putt-putt

- I, not my boys, am the one who gets warned about "bumping" in the go-carts.

- I am the first to volunteer if someone wants somebody to go on stage for something stupid.

when I do this stuff, as people look at me with that "just grow-up" look, I feel bad for them as they are sitting, wondering when their kids are going to be done entertaining themselves so they can go home. most of these kinds of people don't really know how to have fun. it's a sad state of affairs when everything you see and hear what's your kids to be older than they are and totally skip their childhood. I am almost 55 and am still in my childhood (sorry Jan, my beautiful wife of 28+, she has put up with a lot). as long as you are not hurting anyone, do what makes you happy.

- still looking to partake in a flash mob dance.... maybe at one of the NNL's? ..... anyone?

Sounds like your family is lucky to have you. :)

Never "grow-up"... Some of the most boring people I know are self-proclaimed "grown ups"... I don't care if a person licks windows in their spare time, as long as you enjoy what you're doing and it doesn't harm others, then go for it. A pox and a plague on those who demand that someone stuffs themselves into a certain mold, clique, group, etc.... What you do, what you like, how you treat others, your hobbies, the kind of music you love, these all define the person you are. There are 7 billion people on this planet and no two people are exactly alike and that's how it should be. To The Burning Nethers with anyone who says you need to be, "this way"... and if they take exception to the person that you are, then they are NOT worth knowing. Some people would do great to mind their own business and stop judging others over what is really minor stuff...

Never "grow-up"... Some of the most boring people I know are self-proclaimed "grown ups"... I don't care if a person licks windows in their spare time, as long as you enjoy what you're doing and it doesn't harm others, then go for it. A pox and a plague on those who demand that someone stuffs themselves into a certain mold, clique, group, etc.... What you do, what you like, how you treat others, your hobbies, the kind of music you love, these all define the person you are. There are 7 billion people on this planet and no two people are exactly alike and that's how it should be. To The Burning Nethers with anyone who says you need to be, "this way"... and if they take exception to the person that you are, then they are NOT worth knowing. Some people would do great to mind their own business and stop judging others over what is really minor stuff...

Amen my brother, amen.

G