Model Cars Magazine Forum

Thanks Harry P for understanding my post and saying things in a way I hope most will understand.

The HL mess is not about religion but about government taking more and more control over our lives.

It not brought under control they WILL come after something you like eventually.

Thanks to all for staying somewhat civil.

Apparently you are not familiar with the Hobby Lobby story. If you are interested, Google them and you will see that the ownership has deep religious beliefs and yes, has some Christian related items in their store.

They are the only national retail store that I am aware of that is closed on Sundays, specifically so their employees can spend time with their families and worship at church.

If you find Hobby Lobby offensive, I would advise you find a different store as they aren't going to change their business because of you.

I know full well about the store's issues. That is why I have stopped going there. And I definitely give deserving stores my business.

your name is Francis Xavier!!! there's like saints 'n stuff with those names. have you been sent here to test our mettle?

spent too many years in grade school with Sister Mary Margaret slapping your knuckles with the ruler?

LOL! I had gone to kindergarted-first grade at catholic school. That was more than enough. And my mom has always said I am like St. Francis, on how he cares for animals. I am involved in a few animal rescue groups.

I think most people would rather like where they shop at. I guess not.

What makes you think we don't like shopping there? I think it's rather cool to wander the aisles looking for useful stuff while listening to my band's playlist over the intercom. :D

Thanks Harry P for understanding my post and saying things in a way I hope most will understand.

The HL mess is not about religion but about government taking more and more control over our lives.

It not brought under control they WILL come after something you like eventually.

Thanks to all for staying somewhat civil.

When one considers it, what's worse: government taking over our lives, or religion (and, in many instances, one that is not shared by all) taking over our lives?

I don't care if someone worships goats and prays to the tuba- fine. Don't force it on me, nor anyone else. No one group, sect, religion, etc, should have an influence in the lives of those who, whether by chance, choice or birth, don't follow it. Nor should religious beliefs be brought into governmental issues.

As the lion says: "That's just my two cents".

Edited by johnbuzzed

When one considers it, what's worse: government taking over our lives, or religion (and, in many instances, one that is not shared by all) taking over our lives?

I don't care if someone worships goats and prays to the tuba- fine. Don't force it on me, nor anyone else. No one group, sect, religion, etc, should have an influence in the lives of those who, whether by chance, choice or birth, don't follow it. Nor should religious beliefs be brought into governmental issues.

I'd say both are equally bad. More wars have been fought over religion than politics. Every religion pretty much has the same good intentions, but every religion does have their fanatics. In fact, as we were experiencing 9-11 my thoughts were about a Muslim friend of mine and how devistated he would be over the events.

I have lived all over the world, as well as having worked in International companies for the past 35 years, so I am well versed in embracing people of different cultures and beliefs. In fact I enjoy knowing people who are quite different from myself.

I agree that I'm uncomfortable with people pushing religion on me. I don't answer the door for the Jehovahs. I have my beliefs but I don't believe it's appropriate for conversation in the work place or hobbies. I don't care what color you are, your sexual orientation, your religion or your politics, I'm good with you as a friend in the hobby. In fact I have a good friend who I knew 10 years or more before it came up that he was Jewish. Religion had never come up and nothing changed in our friendship.

Now back to worshiping the little plastic cars! :rolleyes:

Edited by Tom Geiger

Well said Tom. My life has been enriched greatly by working in committees and working in groups with professors of every race and religion you can imagine. Our focus is singular-how we can use our collective talents and resources to better educate our students.

I'd say both are equally bad. More wars have been fought over religion than politics. Every religion pretty much has the same good intentions, but every religion does have their fanatics. In fact, as we were experiencing 9-11 my thoughts were about a Muslim friend of mine and how devistated he would be over the events.

I have lived all over the world, as well as having worked in International companies for the past 35 years, so I am well versed in embracing people of different cultures and beliefs. In fact I enjoy knowing people who are quite different from myself.

I agree that I'm uncomfortable with people pushing religion on me. I don't answer the door for the Jehovahs. I have my beliefs but I don't believe it's appropriate for conversation in the work place or hobbies. I don't care what color you are, your sexual orientation, your religion or your politics, I'm good with you as a friend in the hobby. In fact I have a good friend who I knew 10 years or more before it came up that he was Jewish. Religion had never come up and nothing changed in our friendship.

Now back to worshiping the little plastic cars! :rolleyes:

just got back from the local HL. small talk with the clerk stocking the model aisle. he directed me to a shopping cart full of models HL is no longer carrying and discounted 40%. Monkeymobile, Sox & Martin, some tri-five chevys, Bev Hill Cop nova, misc diecast. nothing I needed since I only build pre WWII, but it was a nice gesture for him to point them out.

interestingly, he said both non-sellers and too quick sellers are dropped from their shelves. if HL orders 25 of a specific kit and it sells out right away, the slot on the shelf lays bare until the next delivery. the delivery isn't just models, but the whole art department so it may be a month before the shelves are restocked.

also, about a dozen young maidens wandering the store. I got Tamiya surface primer with a 40% coupon. worthwhile trip.

I went to the Hobby Lobby in Manchester, NH and I was totally underwhelmed.

About 10 feet of model shelves, and a footbal sized area of arts and crafty stuff which bore me silly.

HL is an arts and crafts store, like Michael's. They stock models, but models are not their main thing. Different HL locations have different models in stock, and the size of the model car area varies from one location to another.

HL is an arts and crafts store, like Michael's. They stock models, but models are not their main thing. Different HL locations have different models in stock, and the size of the model car area varies from one location to another.

Yes I was disappointed when I actually went to one and learned this. The way some guys on the board carry on about Hobby Lobby like it's the end all model place, I expected more!

I went to the Hobby Lobby in Manchester, NH and I was totally underwhelmed.

About 10 feet of model shelves, and a footbal sized area of arts and crafty stuff which bore me silly.

I don't think you read the bulk of this thread. Go back and you'll see that Hobby Lobby has an overwhelming amount of products throughout the store that are useful to modelers, not necessarily in the kit section.

Tom: Nicely said!!!!!!

Harry: I read on a post last week about the nonsense you have to weed through on a daily basis. "here's your sign" We may not agree 100% on the issues but you do a great job as zoo keeper.

I personally don't know how you put up with all!!!! I'd ask for a raise!!!!

The thing that make this country so unique is that you have choices. If you don't like H.L. policies or people..... Move on!!!!! pretty simple in my mind. Their are many Hobbies!!!! a small part of their business model caters to model building of the styrene variety. I personally enjoy walking the aisles with a open mind thinking how could I use this or that. Being a artist I find their selection in that department to be excellent! As Sly Said "Different Strokes For Different Folks"