Model Cars Magazine Forum

1957 Corvette

Monogram made a '57 Corvette (stock) in 1/24 scale. AMT also made a stock '57 in 1/25. Then there's the MPC kit too. They made them in 1/25 and 1/16 scale. If you do a search on ebay, you'll find a ton of '57 Corvettes for sale.

Thanks for the replies, I was asked to build one and everyone I asked said nobody made one. I should have asked here first!

Bill

if you're going for the factory stock look, I'd say get the Monogram 1/24 version. I doubt your client will notice the scale difference.and you'll have less trouble trying to make it all go together.

$T2eC16RHJH0FG0!qy-,pBSJgRo!uCQ~~60_35.J

This kit has street/race parts, too, if that's what the client wants.

if you're going for the factory stock look, I'd say get the Monogram 1/24 version. I doubt your client will notice the scale difference.and you'll have less trouble trying to make it all go together.

$T2eC16RHJH0FG0!qy-,pBSJgRo!uCQ~~60_35.J

This kit has street/race parts, too, if that's what the client wants.

Just curious why do you say the Monogram is better for a stock build that the AMT. Both are newer tools and seem to be equal on detail.

Here's a very nice built-up version of the 1/16, with some commentary. (and yes, lights work)

http://www.freewebs.com/martsmodels/1957corvette.htm

And I see there's a new eBay listing...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/UNBUILT-1987-MPC-TROPHY-SERIES-Model-Kit-6426-1-16-Scale-57-CORVETTE-/201140355948?pt=Model_Kit_US&hash=item2ed4e6436c

Edited by sjordan2

Just curious why do you say the Monogram is better for a stock build that the AMT. Both are newer tools and seem to be equal on detail.

I've only got the Monogram kit, so I've been trying to find the review of the new-ish AMT kit I'd read somewhere. IIRC the author was someone whose judgment I'd trust since I generally shared his opinions on kits we had in common. Unfortunately, the review in question may have been on the now-defunct Brian's Model Cars site.

For the record, it wasn't like he was saying that AMT got everything wrong; it was just that, after reading his review, I felt Monogram had done a better job overall.

I'm guessing by your question that you have both kits, and as a fellow 1:1 Corvette owner, I'd trust your judgment., too How do you think they stack up against each other?

Some thoughts.............

I have the 1/16 MPC kit, and while it's very nice------one area that's always bugged me is the front end. It seems that the turn signals are too low as there's just too much real estate between the bottom of the headlights, and the top of the turn signals.

Now I built my '57 Corvette back in 2002, and while it was based on the Monogram '57, I actually used parts from the AMT kit as well as there were certain things about the Monogram kit that didn't seem right. One is the windshield frame----it's too wide, and doesn't have the right "swoop" compared to the AMT kit. I also used the taillights and bezels out of the AMT kit as those appeared more correct to my eyes, and the bodywork was reshaped in the rear to suit the differences in scale.

Another HUGE error for me was the shape of Monogram's hardtop in the kit. It's too short and too wide. I reshaped it pretty much from front to back, and hindsight being 20/20, there are a couple things that I would tweak a bit differently if I were building this today.

Having said that, each kit has its pluses and minuses------I simply combined the best aspects between the two, and went from there.

Here are a few pics.................

P7110004-vi.jpg
P7110006-vi.jpg

P7110003-vi.jpg

If you'd like to check out the in progress pics from 2001-02, just click here.

Just my 2ยข ;)

Edited by MrObsessive

I've only got the Monogram kit, so I've been trying to find the review of the new-ish AMT kit I'd read somewhere. IIRC the author was someone whose judgment I'd trust since I generally shared his opinions on kits we had in common. Unfortunately, the review in question may have been on the now-defunct Brian's Model Cars site.

For the record, it wasn't like he was saying that AMT got everything wrong; it was just that, after reading his review, I felt Monogram had done a better job overall.

I'm guessing by your question that you have both kits, and as a fellow 1:1 Corvette owner, I'd trust your judgment., too How do you think they stack up against each other?

I am going to have to defer ti Bill (Mr. Obsession). Most of my experience is with C3 & C4 Corvettes. But I am getting ready to start a long process build the 56 SR-2. I plan to start it using the new tool AMT 57.

Some thoughts.............

I have the 1/16 MPC kit, and while it's very nice------one area that's always bugged me is the front end. It seems that the turn signals are too low as there's just too much real estate between the bottom of the headlights, and the top of the turn signals.

Now I built my '57 Corvette back in 2002, and while it was based on the Monogram '57, I actually used parts from the AMT kit as well as there were certain things about the Monogram kit that didn't seem right. One is the windshield frame----it's too wide, and doesn't have the right "swoop" compared to the AMT kit. I also used the taillights and bezels out of the AMT kit as those appeared more correct to my eyes, and the bodywork was reshaped in the rear to suit the differences in scale.

Another HUGE error for me was the shape of Monogram's hardtop in the kit. It's too short and too wide. I reshaped it pretty much from front to back, and hindsight being 20/20, there are a couple things that I would tweak a bit differently if I were building this today.

Having said that, each kit has its pluses and minuses------I simply combined the best aspects between the two, and went from there.

Here are a few pics.................

If you'd like to check out the in progress pics from 2001-02, just click here.

Just my 2ยข ;)

So Bill now that you know what you know about the AMT & Monogram 57's which will you use to replicate the Curtice SR-2

So Bill now that you know what you know about the AMT & Monogram 57's which will you use to replicate the Curtice SR-2

Len I would use the Monogram kit (I have an unbuilt original), since I'd want to keep the same scale (1/24). Although, once again I'd probably get another AMT kit for its windshield (I can "stretch" it), and other little bits and pieces. Of course, the Curtice car would need some extensive bodywork for its nose, trunk fin, and side cove area.