Model Cars Magazine Forum

Have you ever had that uneasy feeling.....

......when you hand a seven year old an xacto knife.

My grand son wanted to try his hand at a model "just like grandpa". We've already built a snap kit. Now he wants to do a "real" model.

I know he needs to learn, but when he starts using a tool that can practically cut his finger off, it makes me a little uneasy. I stay very close, and "coach " him through every step , so that there are no need for a trip to the emergency room. But it still makes me nervous.

How about you.... what experiences have you had trying to teach a little one our hobby?

good grief! I used to steal my father's Gillette Blue Blades out of his razor, snap them in half so I'd have two blades, and go to town on my Plasticville USA structures for the model railroad. I knew darn well where the mercurochrome and band-aids were.

YES, actually a few days ago at work, a young girl about that age grabbed a new Excell brand knife with purple plastic cap off the display by the register and by the time her Mom and I realized what she was doing, had the cap off! Luckily Mom got her to put the cap back on over the fresh, sharp, new blade and had it back in the display quickly!

I remember cutting my thumb w/ an x-acto knife when I was about 17...wouldn't stop bleeding...ran around screaming about cutting my aorta. Still have a scar on my thumb from it.

Good thing they moved the aorta out of the thumb years ago... :lol:

I remember cutting my thumb w/ an x-acto knife when I was about 17...wouldn't stop bleeding...ran around screaming about cutting my aorta. Still have a scar on my thumb from it.

Hey...! You stole my exact same story! Almost. Left thumb on top of the knuckle. Cut it down to bone. I was 14. Didn't dare scream about. That would have pissed my mother off. I didn't want her to find out about it. Should have gotten stitches. But, fear of my mother kept that from happening. The kit? The new 1973 Plymouth Road Runner. You know what? I kind of proud of that old scar it now.

Scott

I'm trying to think of the year I got a Strombecker model building tool kit for Christmas.

I think it was 1963 or 64. I would have been 11 or 12. It had needle nose pliers,tweezers,and a generic 'hobby knife'

I know I must have cut myself on that (still do) but fortunately,nothing requiring stiches.

Good times... I still have the pliers btw

Hey...! You stole my exact same story! Almost. Left thumb on top of the knuckle. Cut it down to bone. I was 14. Didn't dare scream about. That would have pissed my mother off. I didn't want her to find out about it. Should have gotten stitches. But, fear of my mother kept that from happening. The kit? The new 1973 Plymouth Road Runner. You know what? I kind of proud of that old scar it now.

Scott

My cut was in the soft part of the thumb, the knife cut deep...IIRC, the kit was the Revell 'Skips Fiesta Drive In' 59 Skyliner. I also cut the webbing between my thumb and forefinger once w/ an X-acto knife..that really hurt. Years later, one of my dogs bit me there...

Buy him a set of sprue cutters. Your nerves will thank you. My son is ten and I still won't turn him loose with an Xacto knife. I gave him my sprue cutters and an older file and he does just fine with those.

He's been using the sprue cutters and sanding sticks. I was trying to teach him the proper use of all the tools, it may be a bit too soon.

Part of the problem is that I remember cutting my finger wide open, and not so much the blood, but it hurt like the dickens.

Buy him a set of sprue cutters. Your nerves will thank you. My son is ten and I still won't turn him loose with an Xacto knife. I gave him my sprue cutters and an older file and he does just fine with those.

My 11 year old grandson is quite a builder and has gathered a set of tools to use. One is an Xacto knife which he is very cautious with. He is very attentive and as of now has not done anything stupid. He is 11 and, well, a boy, so this may end at any time.

In the interim he continues to build and increase his skill level.

G

aren't kids in Scouts at 7? Scouts have knives and learn proper handling. keeping children "safe" is the premise of the pussification of the American male. let's buy them plastic tricycles so Snowflake doesn't get a boo-boo.

cheeze ......

Do they still have scouting? It's probably a tiny percentage of kids that do that...I know it was pretty uncommon when I was that age 35+ years ago..

aren't kids in Scouts at 7? Scouts have knives and learn proper handling. keeping children "safe" is the premise of the pussification of the American male. let's buy them plastic tricycles so Snowflake doesn't get a boo-boo.

cheeze ......

Scouts start to formally learn knife safety and handling as Bear Scouts (age 10).

I've had a exacto knife in my hand since age 5. My dad told me, if you mess around with this, you'll get hurt, so don't mess around with it. He taught how and when to use it and also what to do if I did happen to cut myself. I've sliced open my forefinger twice, thumb 5 or 6 times and the webbing in between my thumb and forefinger, luckily I missed the tendons and stuff, somehow. Recently, I've dropped a dentist tool and it went on top of my foot, through my jeans and sock. That really, really hurts! I would not recommend. lol.

Just tell your kid, hey, if you mess around with this stuff, you're going to get hurt. And if you do get hurt, do yadda yadda and yadda yadda. Just let them know, this can hurt you if you don't respect it. And if they can't handle it, give them the sprue cutters and a file. And then try again later.