Model Cars Magazine Forum

What is the one (1) station wagon you'd like to see kitted?

You gotta post a photo of your little '60 Mercury wagon Mike!

If you insist Roger!

Comet5-5-09007_zpsd30f61d4.jpg

So you'd probably think that I would say, "Give us a '60 Comet 2dr wagon kit pleeeeease!!!" But, cool as it is, who would buy it... and I have most of the stuff to kitbash one, so bring on the Boxpanther; with it's Wagon Queen, demo derby, police/fire, and trailer diorama possibilities all in one box. Kit manufacturers like multipurpose tools.

-MJS

If you insist Roger!

Comet5-5-09007_zpsd30f61d4.jpg

So you'd probably think that I would say, "Give us a '60 Comet 2dr wagon kit pleeeeease!!!" But, cool as it is, who would buy it... and I have most of the stuff to kitbash one, so bring on the Boxpanther; with it's Wagon Queen, demo derby, police/fire, and trailer diorama possibilities all in one box. Kit manufacturers like multipurpose tools.

-MJS

Very nice Comet. I noticed the tach on the dashboard. I assume you don't need that to monitor the old stock 144.5 cu. in. straight 6 with the 3 on the three. So spill on beans. Show us what's under the hood. And a model kit '60 Comet wagon, 2-door or 4, would be cool with me.

My folks' first brand new car was a '61 2-door Comet sedan. Despite that, I always like the looks of the 60's Comet grille a lot better. The only advantage the '61 Comet had over the '60, was the availability of the larger 170 c.i. 6-cylinder as an option. But, my folks' car had the anemic 144.

Here's a interesting suggestion, well past by model building skills. Has anybody ever thought of converting a AMT '60 or '61 Falcon Ranchero into a '60 or '61 Comet Ranchero? It might be tough, but not impossible, to find an old beat up old Comet promo or kit for the front end and dash. But, it will take more than a little work adapting the Comet station wagon taillights to the rear. By the way, Comet wagons rode on exact same wheel base as the Falcons and Rancheros. The Comet sedans were built on a longer wheelbase and body. Rather than stretching the body in front of the cowl like a lot of cars did. The Comet were stretched in the back passenger compartment. Looking at the 4-doors especially, you can see it right after the rear doors. But again, this would not be a problem for doing a phantom Comet Ranchero conversion.

Scott

Very nice Comet. I noticed the tach on the dashboard. I assume you don't need that to monitor the old stock 144.5 cu. in. straight 6 with the 3 on the three. So spill on beans. Show us what's under the hood. And a model kit '60 Comet wagon, 2-door or 4, would be cool with me.

The five lug wheels are a good indication too. You know your Falcons/Comets. It's a .040 over 289 with a Comp 268H cam, vintage Weiand intake, and ported heads. Old school power, because the original bolt-action 6 banger was just a bit under powered. (pathetic, that is) C4 trans, '63 8" rear end, '65 V8 front end, Granada discs. Fun little car.

1302010_zps1b536e41.jpg

Here's a interesting suggestion, well past by model building skills. Has anybody ever thought of converting a AMT '60 or '61 Falcon Ranchero into a '60 or '61 Comet Ranchero? It might be tough, but not impossible, to find an old beat up old Comet promo or kit for the front end and dash. But, it will take more than a little work adapting the Comet station wagon taillights to the rear. By the way, Comet wagons rode on exact same wheel base as the Falcons and Rancheros. The Comet sedans were built on a longer wheelbase and body. Rather than stretching the body in front of the cowl like a lot of cars did. The Comet were stretched in the back passenger compartment. Looking at the 4-doors especially, you can see it right after the rear doors. But again, this would not be a problem for doing a phantom Comet Ranchero conversion.

You mean kinda like this?

P3040046_zpsbb93e61b.jpg

P3040047_zpsf197dcd5.jpg

Taillights and tailgate insert are from a Palmer '61 Comet wagon kit. Someday, I'll finish it.

-MJS

Okay Mike! I love the real wagon! It's prefect. And the Comet Ranchero model! Another person who thinks the same way I do. Very cool! The taillights and tailgate insert from a Palmer kit? I'm glad to see that works. Palmer kits can be a little iffy on the details. I'll be very interested in seeing this model when it's done.

Scott

Ok, only me and one other person will want this one .. a 1953 Plymouth Suburban. This was the first new car my Dad ever got and it hauled the 6 of us to the beach every Sunday I can remember when young.

plymouth1953suburban_zpscd851c7f.jpg

I like the looks of 1960 Chryslers. The '60 300F is one of my all time favorite cars. The '60 New Yorker Town and Country wagon is a beauty too.

attachicon.gif

Yes to all of the above- possibly in multiples.

Charlie Larkin

'79 LTD wagon. Because I loves me some classic two headlight box Panther.

i134734.jpg

MJS

Include the two different four-lamp grilles, hood ornament and an option for the third light, and with careful selection of interior engraving, you can build an accurate 1979-87 wagon.

Charlie Larkin

If I had to pick one wagon, it would be a 1965-1966 Ford Country Squire with the 390.5_1966_Country_Squire_Front.jpg

Blame Forza Horizon. lol. Heck, I'd love to find one in real life!

not much into station wagons, but I saw one of these at a hot rod nats event, 428, 4 speed, green with wood grain, roof rack and that flip up seat in the back. out of all the cars I saw at that show, this is the one I still remember.

1952_Crosley.jpg

I need to comment on this one Greg. I think you picked the best of the Crosley wagons when you posted this one here. For those who don't know, if you look in middle of the grille, you'll see a little propeller. This a factory piece on '51 and '52 Crosleys. And does spin by the wind as you drive down the road. As Crosleys slogan noted, "It's a Fine Car". I love it.

Scott