Model Cars Magazine Forum

What is the one (1) station wagon you'd like to see kitted?

The two most logical new wagon kits based on previously produced molds would be Galaxie Ltd. 1946-48 Chevrolet Fleetmaster wagon... and Revell 1957-58 Ford Ranch Wagon.

No question, I'd buy multiples of each. A wagon tooled off of the Lindberg '52 Ford would be nice, and a '49 Ford from the old AMT kit, plus an AMT '50 Chevy...

Whatever comes out, I'll buy some.

Slightly different tack...I wonder what Revell's reasoning was, building their original '57 Ford wagon. Although I made a horrible mess of it, it was the first model car I ever did, and I have fond memories of the build-process...paint all over my hands, glue all over everything, etc. I imagine there are more than a few old geezers (like me) who'd like to see that ancient tooling restored and reissued.

After reading a lot of these posts,it's evident that wagons are popular. I like them too.

How come the model makers don't make more of them? AMT making a 49 Ford woody would be a no-brainer. But they never did.

The 57 Ford and a new 57 Nomad would be great. I really like the plain Jane 4 doors ,but I don't see that happening unless it's resin.

Slightly different tack...I wonder what Revell's reasoning was, building their original '57 Ford wagon. Although I made a horrible mess of it, it was the first model car I ever did, and I have fond memories of the build-process...paint all over my hands, glue all over everything, etc. I imagine there are more than a few old geezers (like me) who'd like to see that ancient tooling restored and reissued.

Their thoughts at the time? They were in the toy business. The product was aimed at kids, so the accuracy we demand today wasn't even in their realm of thought. It was basically a 3D puzzle for kids. The kit didn't even include clear glass. They also thought that toys had a limited run life, so once they put a kit out for a season, they figured all the kids had it, so they would try to redo the mold into a new variation, thus the Ranchero. They had no idea there would be a collector market someday.

Also note that the multi piece body was because that's all the injection molding machines they had at the time could handle. They hadn't developed the ability to make the deeper tools such as one piece body shells.

Edited by Tom Geiger

Their thoughts at the time? They were in the toy business. The product was aimed at kids, so the accuracy we demand today wasn't even in their realm of thought. It was basically a 3D puzzle for kids. The kit didn't even include clear glass. They also thought that toys had a limited run life, so once they put a kit out for a season, they figured all the kids had it, so they would try to redo the mold into a new variation, thus the Ranchero. They had no idea there would be a collector market someday.

Also note that the multi piece body was because that's all the injection molding machines they had at the time could handle. They hadn't developed the ability to make the deeper tools such as one piece body shells.

Only one dispute with you on the above Tom. And that's with the last paragraph. AMT was making one piece plastic promo bodies as early as 1949. Others had done the same before Revell's '57 Ford Country Squire hit the market. AMT then made a big splash with their new kits with one piece bodies in 1958. Yet Revell again offered a multi-piece Ford Retractable for '59. I'm willing to bet it more had to do with what Revell thought a hobby kit should be. The more parts the better. Your job was to build a model. AMT's one piece bodies just made it easier to build and better looking without the trouble multi piece bodied kits gave you. And for that reason they also sold better than Revell's multi piece body kits.

Scott

* 1969 Chrysler Town and Country Wagon....(yes, our family had one...in the exact color of this illustration (F8 Jade Green Metallic - the image is incorrectly identified as to paint color...Avocado Metallic as a much lighter Green)....by 1972 (after I graduated HS) I had it setup with Rocket mags (the poor man's Cragar S/S) with H70/J70 blackwalls and a minor adjustment of the front torsion bars to lower it just a little...it looked terrific!

But any of the '69-'71 Plymouth Sport Suburbans and Dodge Monaco wagons (which used the same basic body shell) would be cool. ( Never, ever gonna actually happen, but would be cool!) I'm much less a fan of the '70/'71 Town and Country, which lost its "lean and mean" imagery due to trim and grill changes....

TSB

69chr05b.jpg

Edited by tim boyd

This one is the 1965 Dodge Custom 880 wagon. If you look closely at images of drag racing events back in the day, you'll see a surprising number of this exact design being used as push cars by some pretty famous Mopar-based drag teams of the era. Makes me think it was probably part of their sponsorship packages (they were usually setup with Cragar mags and narrow whitewalls. While I could do without the whitewall, the mags made a HUGE difference in the visual appeal of the '65 Custom 880 wagon...) TSB

page45big.jpg

Only one dispute with you on the above Tom. And that's with the last paragraph. AMT was making one piece plastic promo bodies as early as 1949. Others had done the same before Revell's '57 Ford Country Squire hit the market. AMT then made a big splash with their new kits with one piece bodies in 1958. Yet Revell again offered a multi-piece Ford Retractable for '59. I'm willing to bet it more had to do with what Revell thought a hobby kit should be. The more parts the better. Your job was to build a model. AMT's one piece bodies just made it easier to build and better looking without the trouble multi piece bodied kits gave you. And for that reason they also sold better than Revell's multi piece body kits.

Scott

Scott- I should've clarified that it was all Revell had at the time, shallow injection molding machines.

Fuselage body Chryslers (1969 through 1973) were beautiful cars. And any Town and Country wagon from that era would be welcome. They were very classy wagons. Even nicer in my opinion, than my beloved Buick's Estate Wagons. Speaking of Estate Wagons, I'd love to see any full size GM wagon from 1971 or 1972. Maybe '73. I still love the clamshell tailgate on those cars.

Back to Fuselage Chryslers. Beyond Town and Country, I'd love to see a '69 or '70 Chrysler 300. Coupe or convertible. A '70 or '71 Sport Fury GT would be cool too. Or a '69 Dodge Polara 500 or '70 and '71 Dodge Monaco.

Scott

tomcar12-vi.jpg

How about a Saab 95 wagon? Oddest little car I ever owned. Four speed on the column. Ford Taunus V4 sitting out in front of the front axle (front to back, not transverse!) and it even had a third row seat. Do I expect it to be molded? No, but these days nothing would surprise me. And I guarantee them the sale of TWO kits... no make that THREE kits. The guy I sold it to was a modeler too!

My comments on Scott's post added in bold italic underline....

Fuselage body Chryslers (1969 through 1973) were beautiful cars. And any Town and Country wagon from that era would be welcome. They were very classy wagons. Even nicer in my opinion, than my beloved Buick's Estate Wagons. Speaking of Estate Wagons, I'd love to see any full size GM wagon from 1971 or 1972. Maybe '73. I still love the clamshell tailgate on those cars.

Back to Fuselage Chryslers. Beyond Town and Country, I'd love to see a '69 or '70 Chrysler 300. Coupe or convertible DOUBLE YES!!!. A '70 or '71 Sport Fury GT would be cool too. TRIPLE YES!! Or a '69 Dodge Polara 500 YOU BET!!! or '70 and '71 Dodge Monaco MY NEXT HOICE TOO< BUT ONLY AFTER THE OTHERS.

OF ALL OF THESE, THE "70/'71 Sport Fury GT would probably have the best commercial value. A second tool with a '69 Polara 440 Magnum Police Cruiser would be a spnoff product. Having said all this,....I doubt we'll ever see such a kit...but then I would have never believed we'd see a chopped '49 Merc and a Kurtis Midget kit, either....TSB