Model Cars Magazine Forum

Henry J Twin Turbo - Didn't see that coming..........

Codi

Codi.........the word "Master" comes up allot on this forum........for a few builders.......I have even been called a "Master".......I don`t feel that I am in that category but,it`s cool to hear that coming from other builders.........if we did look in the dictionary for the meaning of the word "Master Builder" your name alone would be ther.........you are the "Master" my friend ........VERY VERY nice!!!!!!! :)

Mike - thankyou.....are you getting closer to your building that car we spoke about?

Chris - after checking in on your clutch/trans and pedal assembly, I'd say you have elevated builiding to a new level. Your methods in creating parts from plastic are simply ingenious.

Joe - That's funny. I was going more for a popcorn maker instead. :) Thanks too for the comments on the pic quality. Some days are better than others.

Dave, Dave, Dave. thanks again for your insights and interest. You've really helped me keep this build as true as possible to the vision I have for it in addition to your help in getting me started in machining.

John - I saw the pics of your cars at the recent NNL West show. What a line-up. Your Garlits LSR car is still quite the stunner. (not knocking your other quality builds either) Thanks too for the sentiments. What's next on the bench for you btw?

Ray, appreciate your continued interest in Henry and the SLOW progress I'm making. This is going to be a 2016 "under glass" at the rate I'm going.

Scott - I might plan a bunch but I assure you there have plenty of re-do's....so the flawless execution you speak of, well, it might have taken countless attempts to get there. I can point to the mid-plate as one recent example. But I surely do appreciate your kind words.

Greg - thanks.

Today I'll start the funny cage so I can get onto the rear suspension. I'm really looking forward to that particular challenge as I can't wait to see how the rear end looks on the car. And Dave has provided TONS of insights and guidance for me to get it right. There are a couple "fun" pieces that I hope to be able to fabricate that could really add to the overall build. Cheers to all! Tim

Thanks Pim & Michael. Robert, the engine / trans will be on display outside the chassis.....I want it on full display and the car will be displayed with the front end, doors and trunk lid off as well to show the chassis.

Made some progress on the funny cage. The simpe bar you see took a lot of effort so that it was tight to the roof, missed the door glass (at least where it will be eventually) and lined up to the main hoop and had proper location to the trans tunnel....OH, and that the seat would fit in it. I will not admit to how many I made before getting it right as it's embarrassing. This car has an unusual narrow roof with the pronounced curved doors so getting chassis rails to lineup was something else.

The seat you see is NOT a dairy cow in disguise. It was a parts box seat that I modified (after a bit of research) to work with the car. I couldn't find any aftermarket seats that would work so......and I did try to make it out of brass but decided to skip it after 90 minutes of messing around and just modified this. I have to cut the seat belt holes in it yet and make all the necessary bracing to support the seat and integrated helmet padding in the cage. The seat is now bondoed and will get a half ounce fiberglass backing once the final shape is done. I want the "texture" of impregnated carbon fibre on the back side and I'll paint it to match unpainted real fiber. The seat surface will be CF decals from scalemotorsports. Considering putting an adjustable headrest in it too but that might be going to far. Well, here ya' go.

TwinTurboStartofCageandSeat001-vi.jpg

TwinTurboStartofCageandSeat005-vi.jpg

This next pic is a jewelers saw and a black rubber eraser. I can cut it into very thin slices and I'll glue it to the cage brackets (that I've yet to make) and they'll replicate nicely the padded cage area. You'll see a thin slice in the pic too. I think it will look good when its on.

TwinTurboStartofCageandSeat006-vi.jpg

The seat in bondo......which I did get a little carried away with on the bondo. ;)

TwinTurboStartofCageandSeat009-vi.jpg

Hey Tim,

I need to catch up here :) , the photos showing the tunnel work are just spectacular !!!!!!!!!! I'm going to have to reserve judgement on the bondo covered cow hide thingy :D:D

You are an inspiration to us all , keep up the stellar work my friend!!

Randy

Thank you MIke, Brad and Randy for following. Hope you got a chuckle from the cow comment. Now it's black white AND pink. Here's some updates of the cage. Just have to clean up the joints and then I'll work on headrests, seat brackets and seat detail before I move onto the back half of the car. Cheers, Tim

HenryJTwinTurboCageSeatFab001-vi.jpg

HenryJTwinTurboCageSeatFab002-vi.jpg

HenryJTwinTurboCageSeatFab008-vi.jpg

Joe, when I read your reply, I laughed out loud....so loud my wife asked me what was so funny. Nice one.

John and TIM, thank you both again. It won't be long now (sometime next week ) that I get started on the backhalf. That's when the fun begins. :)

Steve, glad you like it so far. Hope you continue to follow along.

Cheers to everyone.

Tim

Thanks Jeremy and Brad. Please be sure to check out John Teresi's build under the WIP. It's truly amazing what he's doing with a brand new project.

Scott, thanks for following the thread....but it's not a B-17 50 cal. I took a 1/24th brass MG-17 barrel, shortened it and drilled out the holes to make it work for the headrest. Sometimes you just have to use what's at hand right? Granted, still took me a couple hours to make what you see. :) Cheers, Tim