Model Cars Magazine Forum

Henry J Twin Turbo - Didn't see that coming..........

Codi

I figured you couldn't resist the urge when you first mentioned the headrest.

Whenever I get an urge to do something like that, I stop and figure, "If it can be done, it should be done, as long as the necessary parts and skill sets are in place." You qualify under, "All of the above."

Scott, thank you and hope you keep following the build.

Chris, thanks as well, but I'm not sure what you're going to learn after what I've seen of YOUR build. :)

Randy, appreciated...now where's that update we're all looking for on your GT-40?

Matthijs, nice to see someone from the Netherlands following the build. I had the pleasure of visiting your country once and enjoyed it tremendously. And I certainly appreciate your comments too.

Michael, on this build when building the chassis, I drew the main parts of the floor and main hoop in advance. Due to the nature of certain components, (inters, firebottles etc. ) some of the portions of the chassis were built around them. The funny cage being one of them, which is why I had a devil of a time getting it right. The front and back-half of the chassis will be built following specific drawings. Mine are somewhat crude but I'm making the effort to improve them as I've come to appreciate more and more their overall importance. Dave(comp1839) does technical drawings that would simply blow your mind but after viewing them, I can't stress enough their help whether making a component or executing the overall build. Doing the drawings can be time consuming, but it does save time later and reduce the amount of re-work from errors down the road. As some famous person once said, "plan your work and work your plan".

Cheers, Tim

Gentlemen, appreciate your comments as always. I've spent a lot of time making all new shocks for the car. I should have them done in a few days. I like what I see so far and its encouraged me to keep chipping away at them even though they're taking longer than I anticipated. A lathe would have been helpful and is one tool that I hope to get later this year. Then I have to make the anti-roll bar and all of the parts (except for the wheelie bars and rear wing bracket) will be at hand. Then I can begin the rear suspension. Finally. Cheers guys. Tim

Well, they're done. Penske dual adjustable shocks with reservoir cylinder. 21 pieces per shock. The coils are from RB Motion and the tab bracket that I soldered to connect the main shock to the reservoir is from DirtModeler. Everything else is scratch. Overall length center to center of the eyelets is 18mm....was targeting 16 but didn't get there. The piston bodies are threaded and the collars at the bottom are tapped. So they function as well. The top collars I machined from 5/32" brass rod. Learned some new things on using ball end mills which will come in handy in the near term. The dimensions are VERY close to accurate to the real thing. As good as I could get them. Next is the anti-roll bar. Cheers everyone and thanks in advance for checking in on my progress. Tim

The first pick is of the original shock I was planning on using.

HenryJTwinTurboPenskeShocks004-vi.jpg

The new ones....the polished brass bodies btw replicate the finish VERY nicely to the Penske images I pulled from the web.

HenryJTwinTurboPenskeShocks009-vi.jpg

The threaded collars as a point of reference are 1.2mm in thickness as is the top cap to the shock. I didn't dare to try to go smaller....I'd have run out of talent.

HenryJTwinTurboPenskeShocks036-vi.jpg

HenryJTwinTurboPenskeShocks040-vi.jpg

Tim... I am thoroughly impressed by these shocks. Holy Smoke did you knock them out of the park. Makes me want to box up the Army Funny Car and start collection Dolls...lol :lol: As Bob said above these things are mind blowing. I could only imagine what you could do on a 1/16th scale build. You are one of those top notch builders I look up too. Thank you for sharing your work with us here. I think I learn something from every post.