Model Cars Magazine Forum

Henry J Twin Turbo - Didn't see that coming..........

Codi

Thanks Chris for the links. Spent all day trying to get 1 pair of bars on.....plan A failed. Today, plan B. Don't ya' hate when that happens? Your car is looking sharp too!

Thanks Dirk....what have you been working on lately? Let me know and I'll be sure to check it out.

Dave, Gary and Chris...thanks gentlemen. Just so you don't think it's all easy peasy lemon squeasy (as my 6 year old would say) I spent an entire day getting nothing done even though I worked on it "relentlessly". It won, i lost. Gotta go a different direction so I can move forward with it. Hopefully I'll have some pics today or tomorrow of something.

Cheers!

Tim... boy I sure know those pains where it seems you spend hours setting thingd up.. test fitting.... refitting. I have spend multiple hours stsringnat things trying to figure them out. Your efforst are showing with your patience and dedication are really shinning thru this build. I just admire your work.

You know what else is funny is that you can have a day where it seems like you spend all day and accomplish nothing then thr next day you go back to work on the same thing and you figire it out in no time at all. I dont understand but its happened to me before.... and I thought to myself...why didnt I think of that yesterday...lol

Thanks Chris......and boy o' boy aren't we glad those days are few and far between. Anyway, I went to plan "b" on these silly two rails. And they're on and I've included a few pics of the "perpetrators". ;) Please ignore the solder joints as they went on terribly today. Don't know why either. But, I'll clean em' up and then put the anti-roll bar brackets on next. So I'll have to put the rear-end back in place for a quick test fitment and onto the next step. Can't tell you how annoying it was getting these two bars on but they are straight and true so I guess it was worth it and that's all we can ask for when we scratch-build. Cheers, Tim

HenryJTwinTurboBackhalfFab2008-vi.jpg

HenryJTwinTurboBackhalfFab2016-vi.jpg

HenryJTwinTurboBackhalfFab2029-vi.jpg

Plan B seems to have worked jut fine judging by the pi ctures. Probably a pain on your end though. Don't worry about how the solder joints look. Its great to see them before they're cleaned up, means yoour actually human. LOL

Edited by gasser59

Thanks Brad and Matthijs for the interest AND comments on the Henry.

Randy - Depends on the piece. The main hoop and bottom rails are tube, I drilled and pinned them together for the sake of argument. They won't come apart regardless of what I hang off of them. The funny hoop and the twin rails out the back are rod. Most of the rear suspension / backhalf will be rod. To curve the pieces, I have a set of hardened steel dowel rods that range from 1/8" up to 1". I pick out an appropriate size and bend accordingly. If you take your time and use light pressure you'd be surprise how easy it is to bend tubing without it crimping or collapsing. Just have to work it slowly. Let me know if I can be of any more assistance.

Today- pics of the anti-roll bar brackets soldered up and a test fit of the anti-roll bar & brackets. Everything lines up beautifully so far. Cheers, Tim

TwinTurboAntirollBarInstall001-vi.jpg

TwinTurboAntirollBarInstall005-vi.jpg

Tim:

I ran across an old relic a bit beyond the artwork displayed here: a Drag Racing Underground VHS tape I used to play non-stop years ago: "Pro Mods Gone Wild".

Featuring cars of sportsman/pro mod infancy such as the Soff Seal '57', Christine, Jim Oddy's series of blown 'Vettes that ignited the NOS vs blower wars.

The difference between your tube work and then: is it driven by any SFI spec you're working from? Except for "Animal" Jim Fueher's last ride, I've not seen anything like yours. I don't get to NHRA events anymore, so is yours representative of 2015 spec?

Sorry for the novel and thanks for the patience as I'm mocking up my 1st attempt at firewall forward tubing and motor plate work using a combo of styrene rod, strut springs, metal rod and alum. My goal is a little more than "pro street" LOL!

Hi Mitch, working from 2013 NHRA rulebook (note the dates I started this build, that's why its not a 2015 rulebook build) Top Sportsman class running 7.50 or quicker. The baseline chassis spec requirement is SFI-25.1E and 25.2 among others. As Dave (my friend comp1839) described to me, everything inside the cockpit / interior is dictated by the chassis rules. Bar sizes and location in other words. IF it were my REAL car, I would have a beefed up 25.1E spec (which is what mine is built around due to the shortened chassis I'm having to work with) and add some additional rails ala a 25.2 spec for safety and stiffness considerations. Everything behind the main hoop and in front of the firewall is pretty much up to a fabricators interpertation. Between those areas, the rules are what they say they are. I've sifted through hundreds of files / pics as part of my research in addition to being able to frequently "pick" Dave's insights and knowledge as I planned my car. Hope this helps somehow / someway. Tim

Dave, thanks....I realize I post frequently but if the pics help in terms of some kind of "order" or method to my madness and it helps someone else in their planning, all the better. I'm learning too as I go trust me. Cheers, Tim

Hi Mitch, working from 2013 NHRA rulebook (note the dates I started this build, that's why its not a 2015 rulebook build) Top Sportsman class running 7.50 or quicker. The baseline chassis spec requirement is SFI-25.1E and 25.2 among others. As Dave (my friend comp1839) described to me, everything inside the cockpit / interior is dictated by the chassis rules. Bar sizes and location in other words. IF it were my REAL car, I would have a beefed up 25.1E spec (which is what mine is built around due to the shortened chassis I'm having to work with) and add some additional rails ala a 25.2 spec for safety and stiffness considerations. Everything behind the main hoop and in front of the firewall is pretty much up to a fabricators interpertation. Between those areas, the rules are what they say they are. I've sifted through hundreds of files / pics as part of my research in addition to being able to frequently "pick" Dave's insights and knowledge as I planned my car. Hope this helps somehow / someway. Tim

Dave, thanks....I realize I post frequently but if the pics help in terms of some kind of "order" or method to my madness and it helps someone else in their planning, all the better. I'm learning too as I go trust me. Cheers, Tim

Tim: Thanks. I remember the owner of Neverlift Motorsports (RIP) quoting a 25.1C or so I thought as the target spec for mid to 7 sec range, but the tape was filmed in 2001. I guess things may have become more stringent or you desire a more protective environmenty; my point was your build is so overwhelmingly "tubular" compared to the cages of those days. When I see your progress, I can't imagine how a driver could squeeze into the cockpit (compliment!). I researched a later tape with Tricky Ricky Smith's Viper, Scott Shaperall's Vette, and several blower rides more like today's NHRA's cars and the frame/cagework was quite like yours. Thanks and keep up the great work. It's actual motivation for us kit bashers :)

Couple quick mock-up pics before moving on with the rest of the rear rails. I wanted to do a body /chassis mock-up too to check some things and I wanted to see what it will look like with the brakes on as well. Cheers, Tim

JTwinTurboBodyChassisMockUp014-vi.jpg

JTwinTurboBodyChassisMockUp029-vi.jpg

Penny shot

JTwinTurboBodyChassisMockUp071-vi.jpg