Model Cars Magazine Forum

Henry J Twin Turbo - Didn't see that coming..........

Codi

Michael, it connects the frame 4 link brackets to the axle 4 link brackets. It permits up and down travel but not side to side to keep the axle where it's supposed to be. The bar in the center that connects is welded on one side on a real car and allowed to slide in the other. Hope this helps and thanks for the compliment.

Stan & Dave, thank you too for your continued interest and positive comments.

Randy,it would be great to meet up and compare brass fabbing notes. Theres ALOT of good questions that come to mind that I'd like to ask you on yours. Just a fantastic build you're doing on the GT-40. It looked great under the bright lights as the DSC show.

Mike, thanks sir. Are you SURE you don't want to part with it? :)

Wanted to attempt something new. On the X brace I just made I did a electro-plated nickel finish using the real deal from Caswell of New York State. For my first pass at it, I was VERY pleased and have no doubt with some experience I can do much better. They have a multitude of plating finishes available. Not exactly like using Alclad but for each it's own purpose. In natural light it looks great. Comments welcome.

enryJTwinTurboNickelPlating032-vi.jpg

Hi Tim,

Now you're talking! I love the plating idea. I tried bluing on some brass parts. Like real gun metal. The brass came out immediately nice and deep black, but it was not as durable as I'd need for a build in progress. Plating. This thrills me!

Why make the effort to do a frame in brass, only to have to paint as if was styrene! I ask myself this often. What could look more like metal than real metal!

Please show more.

Michael

Tim, I'm sending some very nice people to come and have a little chat with you. You can recognize them by their white coats. As a matter of fact, I've asked them to bring you a nice white coat too.

Don't resist. Just do as they say and everything will be fine. Eventually.

Now you've done it, you just had to go and do some plating too. Its not enough your soldering skills are not of a human, now you're plating too? I think you've stolen all of John's minions and have a few of your own who do some miraculous work for you.

Michael, not sure I'll plate the entire chassis...but I'll certainly look at doing other parts along the way.

Bruce, thank you sir for the compliment.

Joe and Brad....you two simply make me laugh. I always look forward to your funny comments and laugh out loud more often than not. Joe, the guys showed up with my coat but said they'd have to come back......the sleeves weren't long enough. ;) Brad, with two kids, i've seen those movies countless times and still haven't tired of them. The minions RULE!

Cheers

Fuel tank done other than a titanium strap I'm going to make to secure it to the chassis. The alum. block was what it started out as. A little more polishing to get some swirl marks out and I'm calling it done. The back and two side angles were cut at 15 degrees and the bigger angle at the front was 40. Used a rotary table on a sherline tilting table with a self-centering 4 jaw chuck.....took me all day but all of the angles & lines met perfectly so I was happy. Cheers, Tim

HenryJTwinTurboFuelTank018-vi.jpg

HenryJTwinTurboFuelTank015-vi.jpg

pic from the back of it

HenryJTwinTurboFuelTank005-vi.jpg

Great way for me to kill an afternoon trying to figure out what to say. Actually, I'll consider the tank a warning for the plumbing to come. If you had done the tank AND fittings, I may have gone running for the Depends.

If you'll excuse me, I'm gonna' hit YouTube and watch Uptown Funk so I can calm down a little.

Hi Tim, the tank looks very good and has an excellent finish, really smoothly milled with zero waves on those straight flanks. Good stuff.

What's with the brass lid? P-E or sheet fabrication. I'm looking forward to the plumbing of this assembly as I haven't a clue how it's done 1:1. Well, not in 1:25 either. I'll be watching out for updates.

Michael

To everyone who commented on the tank, thankyou and I'll try to address a few questions. (and Randy, thanks for the comment on my progress on learning how to machine...only been 6 months at it but I DO have a great mentor, which is priceless)

Micheal, the P-Etch piece on top is the filler. It's not affixed yet and the plumbing (which is quite simple to be honest) will be done after I make the ti-strap I want to do for it.

Wed. I'm hoping to start & finish a 4 link brace in aluminum that I've drawn up and want to machine. Then the wing struts and drive shaft and it's yokes. Cheers to each of you and again, thanks for following along. Tim

Trying to figure out how to make the driveshaft, trans and pinion yokes. Got the driveshaft yokes made out of brass today. Started by machining some 5/32" rod. These particular parts should be great candidates for nickel plating once I get the other yokes made. I'm leaning towards a carbon fibre driveshaft at this point. I dropped these little buggars on the floor half a dozen times and thankfully didn't lose one. Cheers

ryJTwinTurboDriveshaftYokes022-vi.jpg

ryJTwinTurboDriveshaftYokes009-vi.jpg

I think you somehow found a giant penny. There's no way this is a model, I'm convinced. I think we're gonna see this runnin down the drag strip when your done.

The level of detail your putting into this is beyond words. I think either you own a straight jacket or will need one.

Excellent work man, outstanding!

Edited by Petetrucker07