Model Cars Magazine Forum

Henry J Twin Turbo - Didn't see that coming..........

Codi

hi fellas, been at the bench cutting my teeth learning more about how to machine. this part has been every bit the challenge I thought it would be. Looks simple enough when you look at it but trust me...for a fairly new student of the art of machining, it was challenging. I must thank my friend Dave (comp1839) for his excellent drawings that he did for this part AND for his encouragement when I shared my initial (lackluster) attempt. He would have made an excellent teacher in academics.

In the 2nd pic I've posted it with the wing and you'll see it with a carbon fiber extension. I'm going to make some cool brackets in brass and nickel plate em'. I'll add CF decals to the support rods (which I have to make clevis hardware too) and then redesign the wing as the side plates are fine but the angle is all wrong. The wing you see is for a top fuel car and a Top Sportsman car would have a very different, low drag design. THANKS TO DAVE FOR THAT INFO TOO! Oh, and I have to make its twin.......but I have tons of experience now and NOTES so I'm hopeful to get it done it done in a morning. Cheers and thanks for peeking. Tim

HenryJTwinTurboWingStrut002-vi.jpg

HenryJTwinTurboWingStrut007-vi.jpg

So if I understand you correctly, you got Dave's SUPPORT in order to STRUT your stuff, designing the BRACKET so you didn't have to WING it?

In my opinion, humble or otherwise, YOU are the machine what is machining this contraption.

The final pieces will, no doubt, be flawless Tim.

Hope the hand is fully recovered. You're gonna' need it for shaking hands during award ceremonies.

I'm not going to repeat what has already been said, or maybe I will, as this is a superb build.

Excuse me while I lift my jaw off the floor and put my eyes back in.

Looking forward to the next instalment and glad to see you are back on it after your surgery.

Steve

Appreciate each and everyone of your comments I assure you. This was a busy week. Machinists have all my respect in the world as I've come to realize how much pure concentration and effort goes into machining a given component let alone having to make a twin. I've got 25 hours at least in these brackets but they were worth it to me. I have a vision for the entire wing assembly and I'm on the way to getting it come to life (so to speak). I MUST call out Joe however......that last post of his was WAY too over the top with puns and laughs. I'll keep making and posting Joe if you keep making funnies....deal? Anyways, here are the "twins". Cheers

HenryJTwinTurboWingStruts001-vi.jpg

HenryJTwinTurboWingStruts006-vi.jpg

Edited by Codi

So if I understand you correctly, you got Dave's SUPPORT in order to STRUT your stuff, designing the BRACKET so you didn't have to WING it?

In my opinion, humble or otherwise, YOU are the machine what is machining this contraption.

The final pieces will, no doubt, be flawless Tim.

Hope the hand is fully recovered. You're gonna' need it for shaking hands during award ceremonies.

Good one Joe!

How true about the awards...

Clayton, Scott , Tom AND of Chris...thank you for checking it out. I've been working on making a proper wing for the car and I'm almost done I think. I want to nickel plate the wing brackets (on the bottom of the wing that connect the strut to the wing itself) and CF the wing itself including the wing plates. The pics are missing the link that ties the strut to the backhalf of the wing that allows for height / angle adjustment of the wing. I also polished the alum. strut brackets and added some additional "lightening" holes that were machined earlier. Cheers

HenryJTwinTurboWingMockUp023-vi.jpg

HenryJTwinTurboWingMockUp026-vi.jpg

Sorry for the lousy pics.

HenryJTwinTurboWingMockUp008-vi.jpg

Edited by Codi

Alright everybody. Settle down a little. You've lost focus on the truly amazing wonder of engineering here. This time it's not about Tim's totally rockin' fabrication skills.

I wanna know how you came up with the idea of using a piece of aluminum stock, some tape and a swab container to make a jig !?!?!?!

Unlike you and John T, and Chris S, I only have ONE Minion and you almost gave him a coronary. He passed out and after giving him mouth to t-shirt resuscitation, when he opened his eyes, this is what he said...

DSC02049.jpg

Edited by Nitrozilla