Model Cars Magazine Forum

Scratchbuilt 33' Willy's (mostly)

Codi

Hi,

Kingstrider - Conservatively it's over 1000 hours. This build took about 2 years of on-off building on this particular car. I average 18 to 25 hours a week of actual building. For each build I'm learning and trying new things (like soldering for the Willy's) and I end up re-doing parts along the way. I'm getting faster as I'm not having to re-learn certain things.

MicroNitro (JIM) - Glad you like it. Your wheels look sharp on it for sure. I posted in "WIP" my Henry J Twin Turbo wherein I used the valve covers I commissioned from you. And the bellhousing...remember THAT one...or should I say three? ;) Your wheels look good in the mock-up too.... Anyways, I'll be in touch as I'm going to need some of your beautiful hubs for that particular build. I just installed the 10k.pulley set on my Sherline and waiting on the DRO kit to arrive so I can install and start ruining some endmills. :) You can see more at my FOTKI link.

Happy Labor Day to EVERYONE! Tim

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I keep coming back to look through and study these photos. This is a real stunning build with tons of hand crafting and fabrication utilizing a variety of materials demonstrating a highly developed skill set. With that said, I have to ask why weren't the headlight lenses put in straight? Please don't get me wrong. I totally love this build. How could you not? I'm mostly curious since you spent so much time and dedication to every other area of this build.

Hey Brad, that's too funny. I stared at the car for a minute or two and realized what you were talking about. Pure bonehead on my part. When I realized it I actually laughed out loud at the stupidity of it. Not sure how I missed that particular oversight, but I did. At least they're in symetrically even if they are not perfectly straight. :) Oh well, back to the bench and I DO appreciate your kind comments as well.
Cheers,

Tim

Tim, This build is stunning in both it's overall appearance, and it's incredible engineering. There are a handful of individuals capable of reproducing this type of accuracy in a 1/25th scale model, and you are definitely one of them.

I agree with an earlier post from a fellow modeler that this belongs on the table at GSL. I too came back into the hobby about six years ago after a thiry-seven year break, and through this forum I've learned a great deal. Most of all, that this is a great group, and very supportive.

When you get the chance, Google Augie Hiscano. There are several articles, and photo's of the late Mr. Hiscano's work. As with you, he had a tremendous amount of patience and skill. If you are not familiar with him, then I think that you will find his story very inspiring.

Thanks for sharing this. It makes me realize that I will "continue to persevere" no matter how futile my efforts may seem!

Mark, thanks so much for your note and I'll have to check out the GSL shows for consideration and I'm flattered that you think it worthy. The last model show I attended was more than 40 years ago at the Bedford Pa. County Fair more than 40 years ago. I was 15 I think.. My models did win best paint and best model...unfortunately my show winner was destroyed in transit on the way home. I was crushed....

And thanks for mentioning Augie as I've heard of him before but have never taken the time to explore his works. I'll be sure to do so.

Cheers,

Tim