Model Cars Magazine Forum

AMT '74 Plymouth Barracuda snaptite, another quick build!

JTalmage

'74 Barracuda stripes?  

18 members have voted

1. 1. Which stripes would look better on this Barracuda based on the color combo I have?

• Black side stripes
    • White side stripes
    • No stripes!

Starting a thread for this one, mostly because I am up in the air on a color for this kit!

cuda_zps554139e4.jpg

Since this one is sans drivetrain detail and underhood, I'm hoping to put a little more detail in the body and chassis.

I never was one for snaptite's but I always loved cuda's.

So, what color do you all think I should paint this car?

Since it's not got the radical shaker hood or any other type of scoop, I'm thinking a nice subtle base model car with an interesting or obscure paint color (but something readily available from a rattle can) and adding either the black or white side stripes. I'm leaning toward white side stripes myself, with maybe a green metallic color and tan interior?

Edited by JTalmage

I like this kit

If you look at my Mannix Cuda in the On The Workbench forum, you will see what I did with this kit.

The body is the most important part as it represents a 1972-1974 Barracuda. The bumpers are '73/'74. If you want 1972, you need to get them from Modelhaus.

This is a snap kit and the hood is molded in. 15 minutes with the back side of an Xacto knife will scrape/slice it open.

I replaced the chassis with the one from the AMT '70 Challenger. I might try a Revell '70 Cuda, if I did it over again. In either scenario, you get an engine.

The headlights are a little funky. They were changed when the kit became a modified stocker. I changed the lights on mine.

Cudas came in a bright yellow or blue, that might be nice.

Good luck on the project.

Thanks!

I'm going to keep this one simple. If I had a second kit, and a revell cuda to chop up, I would totally do that. I seen your project. It looks pretty exciting!

I found this on the web... http://paintref.com/cgi-bin/colorcodedisplay.cgi?manuf=Chrysler&model=Plymouth&year=1974&con=ymo&rows=50

I think I'm falling in love with Avocado gold, or Aztec gold. Probably Aztec gold. I'd like to see it on a 1:1 car though

I'm thinking... Aztec gold with white stripes and white interior... mmmm....

Model Masters bronze looks pretty close to aztec gold on a plymouth. I'd probably have to prime it with a dark color to tone it down a bit.

Edited by JTalmage

This kit was a feature of a make and take in which my club participated back late last century. I remember it as, without a doubt, one of the most terrible kits that I have ever encountered in my life. I had one in my personal stash and gave up on it when it needed too much attention. I could think of more than a few other kits as a quick build, but that's just my opinion. IF I had to do it all over again, and add some detail, I would use the new Revell 'Cuda chassis- it is much nicer than the '83 vintage Ertl Challenger chassis. I'm gonna watch this build. Good luck with it.

Thanks!

I'm going to keep this one simple. If I had a second kit, and a revell cuda to chop up, I would totally do that. I seen your project. It looks pretty exciting!

I found this on the web... http://paintref.com/cgi-bin/colorcodedisplay.cgi?manuf=Chrysler&model=Plymouth&year=1974&con=ymo&rows=50

I think I'm falling in love with Avocado gold, or Aztec gold. Probably Aztec gold. I'd like to see it on a 1:1 car though

I'm thinking... Aztec gold with white stripes and white interior... mmmm....

Model Masters bronze looks pretty close to aztec gold on a plymouth. I'd probably have to prime it with a dark color to tone it down a bit.

Sound good, looking forward to the build..

This Promo-come-kit represents a rare model in "1:1" : a 360-powered Barracuda (BH) model ! Most of the 360-powered models were 'Cuda (BS) . The giveaway is its flat hood (the 'Cuda models all had the "twin scoop" hood) and its dual exhaust (exclusive to the high-perf engines) .

That Challenger photo is interesting. It shows how the 5 mph bumpers stick out from the body.

The current ERTL AMT Cuda snap model is modified from original. Some details are different than back in 72, 73 and 74. The '73 MPC kit says Barracuda on the model, but now it says Cuda. All these 72-74 kits had flat hoods and Hemi engines. I suppose they were never absolutely accurate.

This Promo-come-kit represents a rare model in "1:1" : a 360-powered Barracuda (BH) model ! Most of the 360-powered models were 'Cuda (BS) . The giveaway is its flat hood (the 'Cuda models all had the "twin scoop" hood) and its dual exhaust (exclusive to the high-perf engines) .

On the 1:1 the twin scoop hood was standard on the 'cuda with either of the available engines, it also came standard on the Barracuda if the 360 was chosen plus was available in an A51 "Sport Décor" package that also included the tape stripes and moldings that could be ordered for Barracudas with either the 318 or 360

So- the flat hood would only have been "correct" for a 318 powered Barracuda (without the Sport Décor) - which in turn would not have the dual exhaust

Not correct but all the originals have the flat hood and dual exhaust valance. Its interesting that even though the last cuda factory promo was the '72 the '73 annual was updated with the big bumper guards and "Barracuda" scripts on the quarters (although the bumper guards disappeared on the '74 cuda and Challenger annuals and the "cuda script reappered on the tail panel. Seems to suggest the '73 cuda promo was planned but cancelled last minute

My brother had one that was a brownish color. It was different and did'nt look too bad. But then again I like earth tone colors myself. It had white intereior. It may have been a 73. I'm not a Mopar man but I think it had a 318 and it did have the twin scoop hood.

On the 1:1 the twin scoop hood was standard on the 'cuda with either of the available engines, it also came standard on the Barracuda if the 360 was chosen plus was available in an A51 "Sport Décor" package that also included the tape stripes and moldings that could be ordered for Barracudas with either the 318 or 360.

I was not aware of that 'A51' package :) . Thanks for clarifying that for me (and every-one else) :)

So here's some pics from last night.

Tamiya primer is the shizz...

20140828_194200_zps93awdvxa.jpg

20140828_194206_zpsvxhq6qxt.jpg

Shot some gray metallic on it after the primer, just a quick base of it. Same color as I painted the '94 Camaro I just finished

Then shot model masters dark bronze metallic. Which looks *pretty close* to Aztec Gold.

20140828_200510_zpsycnqr2ju.jpg

20140828_200736_zps5ruwtljt.jpg

Sprayed the chassis to simulate overspray

20140828_201620_zps113v7llk.jpg

Got the chassis *mostly* detailed minus a wash to darken things up

20140828_224544_zpsgwqj9sjb.jpg

Had to put a few layers of brown o the interior to get it to cover... not happy with the fact that I nearly lose all the texture in the mold...

20140828_211907_zpsiur7plzt.jpg

Mixed some brown w/ a few drops of white and made light brown inserts.

20140828_220716_zps4loqdtim.jpg

So more to come tonight. It's coming along quickly!

Should I paint the headliner the same brown as the interior, or the light brown that I mixed up? What would it have been on a real car?

Should I paint the headliner the same brown as the interior, or the light brown that I mixed up? What would it have been on a real car?

Car is looking great- I'd probably go with the lighter color headliner- the 1:1 headliners all seemed to be a pretty close match shade wise to the door panel color but the lighter seems like it would look better and tend to "brighten up" your detail work with the model assembled

At the risk of sounding overly nit-picky technically by 73-74 the option list for the E bodies had shrunk dramatically with only one trim style for the interior and only four colors available- blue, green, black, or white (with black dash, carpet, console,and package tray)- gold was also available in '72 but the last year for a tan/brown would be '71. On the 73-74 seats the vinyl inserts had a "woven" texture with a smoother vinyl for the "skirts"- I like to flatten the finish on the inserts so that the "smooth" vinyl is glossier- either with a quick shot of dullcote or painting the seat overall with gloss then doing the inserts in matte acrylic craft paint- just gives a subtle bit of extra contrast

Great thing about modeling is you can come up with color combos that look better than what the factory offered :)

Heres a pic of the '72 "gold" interior- more of a yellowish-beige on the seats and interior panels than what you'd think of as "golden"

72goldint1_zpsabe63c9b.jpg

Couple quick pics of it mocked up.. didnt have a lot of time to work on it this weekend...

I painted the trim w/ model masters chrome and it looked just ok over the bronze. But I felt now was the time to try my hand at BMF. And I must say, I'm impressed with my first time results. I didnt do the wheel arches because I tried a few times and just decided to leave them alone. But everything else looks great in my opinion!

20140830_131646_zpsd8i4dohd.jpg

Then w/ the BMF... Also added a wash to the gills of the grill center. BMF applied to the door handles, rocker moldings, and all window trim. Had the interior been in separate pieces I would have done door handles and whatnot, but since it was a one piece tub, I just painted the handles chrome.

20140901_212201_zps6ihvt2kh.jpg

I'm also surprised at how well the BMF held up not in a "cold" environment. I've had this pack for almost a year unopened and its been anywhere from a basement, to the seat of my truck, to my closet and its still holds.

So, since the car is close to needing clearcoat... this begs the question.... White stripes or Black stripes???

Edited by JTalmage