Forum will be Offline for Server Maintenance ×
Model Cars Magazine Forum

Promo style build

unclescott58

Here's another one of my simple promo style builds I recently completed. I was inspired to build it like I did, because of a real '63 promo I saw on the web. That promo was painted silver, with a matching silver interior. Even though the silver interior was not an option on the real car, I liked it and copied the look. In a lot of ways this is a terrible kit. I believed it was based off the old promo, where they cut the hood open and gave you a primitive looking 409 to go in there. With the lack of under hood detail. Like no firewall. And the kit having a promo like engine plate you can use instead of the 409. I chose to use the engine plate, and glue the hood closed. The one other thing I dislike about this model is the molded in taillights. Requiring you to carefully paint the taillights.

post-10661-0-97366800-1409598617_thumb.j

post-10661-0-88722800-1409598638_thumb.j

post-10661-0-19242600-1409598668_thumb.j

Despite the simplicity of the kit. It goes together well. And I think it turned okay. Someday I'll have to buy the Revell '63 for comparison.

Scott

Here's another one of my simple promo style builds I recently completed. I was inspired to build it like I did, because of a real '63 promo I saw on the web. That promo was painted silver, with a matching silver interior. Even though the silver interior was not an option on the real car, I liked it and copied the look. In a lot of ways this is a terrible kit. I believed it was based off the old promo, where they cut the hood open and gave you a primitive looking 409 to go in there. With the lack of under hood detail. Like no firewall. And the kit having a promo like engine plate you can use instead of the 409. I chose to use the engine plate, and glue the hood closed. The one other thing I dislike about this model is the molded in taillights. Requiring you to carefully paint the taillights.

attachicon.gifimage.jpg

attachicon.gifimage.jpg

attachicon.gifimage.jpg

Despite the simplicity of the kit. It goes together well. And I think it turned okay. Someday I'll have to buy the Revell '63 for comparison.

Scott

Don't waste your money on the Revell kit Scott. If it's the same one I have, it's pretty dissappointing. The body on the AMT kit is much nicer. Nice job! Steve

The 409 and firewall were in the original kit but got lost or damaged. They (AMT) cobbled up a replacement 409 nowhere the quality of the original. They also replaced the red and chrome tail lights with cast in units. The body is still very nice and some kit bashing with an AMT '64 will get you a firewall and a much better 409.

It's interesting that you call this a promo build, because it is, sort of.

What other people have said is true, the engine and firewall of the original 3 in 1 kit are lost. What you have are the remnants of the AMT Craftsman kit (1967) that also was sold as a drag combo kit with the trailer and Chevelle funny in 1969.All of this are the promo parts. In the 60s, this kit had a closed promo type hood.

In 1987 or 1988, ERTL found the tool and resurrected the kit. Unfortunately, AMT lost the engine and the fire wall and the hood. Also, the separate red tail lights were eliminated in the 1969 reissue as well as a cost cutting measure. Amazingly, most of the custom parts, including Advanced Custom parts returned. $200 collector unbuilt '63 Impala kits became $50 kits over night with the reissue of this kit by ERTL.

You will also notice that the wheels are promo design, and not the typical separate wheel cover and wheel backs that were the standard parts of the 3 in 1 kits. The hood is new, in that the tab to use the AMT hood clip is gone. The body is missing the hood clip tab as well.

But it makes a terrific promo type model. Some people think that the old AMT models such as this Impala have a nicer rendition than the newer computer generated kits of today.

Thanks for sharing your work.

• 3 weeks later...